Why did this wheel stud break? Metallurgy issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your reading comprehension skill is right up there too. Nobody said or implied that at all.

I was using my dark sense of humor. Certainly you don't think I was serious?

He pointed out your reading comprehension already so I have to point out to you that he said nothing about carrying a torque wrench in his vehicle.
Who does that?

I guess detail reading is on the list too.

Keep the stick with the vehicle should it happen on the road.

Who said anything about a specific person? I used the word "you" as in anyone. I have not had my coffee yet. Easy there guys. It is really easy to read into a post incorrectly.

I think the big takeaway on this thread is to have a good feel for torque settings. If you are not sure if you are going too tight or not tight enough invest in a few torque wrenches. I regards to using lubricants on threads if it makes you feel good, you can look up the exact specs and do the math. Otherwise the 25% reduction rule is more than safe.

Who said anything about a specific person? I used the word "you" as in anyone. I have not had my coffee yet. Easy there guys. It is really easy to read into a post incorrectly.

Add context to that list, nice recovery attempt though

I think the big takeaway on this thread is to have a good feel for torque settings. If you are not sure if you are going too tight or not tight enough invest in a few torque wrenches. I regards to using lubricants on threads if it makes you feel good, you can look up the exact specs and do the math. Otherwise the 25% reduction rule is more than safe.

And people wonder where the root cause of most failures comes from. Just take wild statements with no validity whatsoever and run with it because it "feels right" and is "true to you".

You have your opinion and I have mine. I will continue to give safe advice and my years of experience and you will give yours. Sounds fair to me....(y)

Call me crazy, but carrying a torque wrench in my car sounds like a great idea!
Actually, I have wheel changing equipment, including torque wrench, at each of my houses.
Why? Because a year ago I picked up a big something in the Tundra in Petaluma, 90 miles from Los Gatos.
I thought about the extra trolly jacks, breakers and torque wrenches at home. And compressor for the low spare.
Sheesh.

Oh yeah, just a tiny wisp of anti-sieze on clean threads...
All good.

Not taking one side or the other here, but this reminds me of the classic 'mechanics vs tribologists' argument on motor oil.

It's 60°F.

Mechanic: 'I've been doing this my whole life. 5W-30 is too thin to protect my 1985 Monte Carlo. Chevy even backed me up on this. Here's the proof.'

Screenshot_20201012-092824_Gallery.jpg

Tribologist: 'So have I. Truthfully, it wears less as long as you don't leave it in long enough to shear.'

I say metallurgy. We've had a 1964 Falcon in for the last week, finally got some rear wheel bearings and I fitted them today. An original car, and I'd say original wheel studs and nuts - for over 5 decades people have been cranking these nuts on without a torque wrench being thought about. As tight as they can get them by hand, and until the nut stops moving with an impact gun, and no damage whatsoever. And now an 8 year old car snaps a stud, and the owner says he's not been overtightening them. The Honda wheel studs are weaker material than 56 year old Ford studs...that's metallurgy.

The testing I have done shows some wheel bolts will neck and fracture at 400 ft-lbs. Other testing I've done shows the combination of antiseize on threads and under nut head will fracture a wheel bolt at specified torque values.

I've also seen wheel bolt fractures in metallurgically healthy bolt/nut combinations by absorbing the kinetic energy of running down a nut with powered tooling. Once the nut bottoms out it needs to absorb all the kinetic energy if spun fast.

The testing I have done shows some wheel bolts will neck and fracture at 400 ft-lbs. Other testing I've done shows the combination of antiseize on threads and under nut head will fracture a wheel bolt at specified torque values.

I've also seen wheel bolt fractures in metallurgically healthy bolt/nut combinations by absorbing the kinetic energy of running down a nut with powered tooling. Once the nut bottoms out it needs to absorb all the kinetic energy if spun fast.

That is a great point, that the fastener must absorb the energy of the spinning wrench/socket.

Very, very easy to overshoot the desired torque if you’ve got a powered tool, not just through applied torque, but by the additional torque from the absorbed high speed rotation (angular momentum).

I’ve got several air impacts, some air ratchets, and a couple of electric ratchets. I’ve overshot the torque (Sometimes with less than desirable consequences) many times, and now, I release the trigger before the fastener is tight and final torque by hand. Even if it’s not a torque wrench/precision torque, I still do the final tightening by hand to avoid the over tightening that can come from the absorbed rotational energy.

You must be a real hoot at parties...

Are you one of those who solicits the opinions of the guy down the street and takes them over the recommendations of the primary care physician because you think its somehow "nice" and "fair" and they both have valid and equal rights to their "opinions" and you like what he says better?

Will your next-of-kin feel the same way as they prepare for your passing for not following the Dr.'s recommendations?

Just curious

While everyone has an equal right to post on BITOG, not all opinions are equally valid.

Some are derived from expertise in the field, and some are, well, worth what you paid for them, with variations in between those book ends.

If, for example, you're weighing an opinion on, say, the flight characteristics of a 767 between me, and a guy who's read about it extensively, and you consider both to be equally valid, then you're a fool.

Some opinions on this board are from experts, and some are from amateurs. Critical thinking is required to determine which is the more valid.

Power tools are, in my opinion, the wrong tool to install lugs, especially to torque them.
What’s interesting to watch is the guys run in single nuts in series (all the way) with a power tool … and then only apply a cross pattern with the torque wrench. (barely moving)

Are you one of those who solicits the opinions of the guy down the street and takes them over the recommendations of the primary care physician because you think its somehow "nice" and "fair" and they both have valid and equal rights to their "opinions" and you like what he says better?

Will your next-of-kin feel the same way as they prepare for your passing for not following the Dr.'s recommendations?

Just curious
I didn't solicit anybody's opinion about anything here, least of whom yourself.

Lets make that clear.

Your opinion as to how I may act in a theoretical circumstance is shortsighted conjecture at best with no basis in reality.

Evidently as part of what appears to be you effort to prove that you're the smartest guy in the room, you've failed to realize how you are presenting yourself to the group.

What we arrive at here is the fact that you're technically correct.
Congratulations.

I also stand by my prior comment that you must be a real hoot at parties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back