Why did Auto Rx reduce oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my 91 Dodge Grand Caravan since I bought it new off the show room floor. About a year after I bought it I noticed that it would go thru 1-2 quarts between 3000 mile oil changes. I knew the oil wasn't leaking onto the floor of my garage so I talked to the dealer about it and they said that's just the way those 3.3 liter v6s work. I've got over 185,000 miles on it now and the motor doesn't leak or blow blue smoke out the tailpipe so I figure I'll keep it for another another 100K or so. That's why I added some ARX about 900 miles ago. I didn't expect much, frankly. I've been through a lot of oil changes in 12 years so I can tell you that I would have added 1/2 to 1 quart of oil by now. After 900 miles there is no discernable loss of oil! Don't get me wrong, I like the result I'm getting but I'm really curious as to why ARX would stop oil consumption?

There are a few reasons why. One, if your rings were carboned up, this product cleaned them out and now your ring seal is better. Two, if your valve seals were worn, this product cleaned them and provided a better seal. Or three, if you had a minor oil leak from another gasket (valve cover, rear main) then this product conditioned those and stopped or slowed the leak.

Most likely due to a cleaned , rejeuventated ring pack. Better seal with the cylinder walls will do some amazing things. Have you noticed any performance gains?

Have a look at Aarons RX test. He saw a 11 psi increase in one cylinder in 1500 miles and a 3psi spread acroos all four. That can only be freeing the ring pack IMO.

Same here, I have a 96 Grand Caravan 3.3. I treated it with ARX this past spring. It was using about a 1/2 quart of oil per 3,000 miles.

Right now is has 2,000 mile on the current oil change and the level is right at the full mark. The engine is 100,000 miles on it.

In answer to Rick20's question, my MPG has gone up slightly (about 5%) and I think the there has been a commensurate increase in the power but I have no way to measure the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back