Why am I getting excited about changing my oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was excited about changing my oil one day when the exctiment left after I lost my filter wrench and had to pound screw drivers into the filter in order to twist it off. That was after I tried to the metal loop wrench that did not fit which I figured out after it hit the starter and burnt all the hair off my arm. Oh yeah...lightning struck that day!!!

Originally Posted By: GMFan
For me, oil changes aren't something I look forward to, but once I pour that new fresh oil in it makes me feel like my engine is thanking me.

I HATE changing my oil filter because it is right over the axle and I can never prevent oil from dripping down my right arm. I really have to reach up the engine block to get to it.

I swear my car seems to run smoother after an oil change too, but it could of course be my imagination.
grin2.gif

Prior to uninstalling the filter, drill a hole in the filter somewhere to redirect the oil filter contents -- then uninstall the filter.

I HATE changing my oil filter because it is right over the axle and I can never prevent oil from dripping down my right arm. I really have to reach up the engine block to get to it.

Try placing a zip-lock bag over the filter when loosing it. Loosen it until the oil starts to drain out, at which point it will drain into the baggie.

I too am a oil-a-holic. I've been clean for one month now, but find myself slipping. My wife found me in the basement last week re-arranging my oil stash. She said I lashed out at her for disturbing me.... she was calling me up for dinner. I am so ashamed. I spent nearly 30 minutes roaming the shelves at the local automart perusing the motor oil selections, in a fervor of "what should I try next". The boy behind the counter, with a squeaky voice, asked me to leave. I have many miles to endure, but I know in time I will get my fix. Be strong my brothers and sister (Oilgal ), be strong.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
GMFan said:
Prior to uninstalling the filter, drill a hole in the filter somewhere to redirect the oil filter contents -- then uninstall the filter.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this.

If you change the filter with the engine cold, less oil comes out. With my Aerostar 3.0, which filter is directly above the starter, it would drip all over the starter, but a cold filter hardly dripped anything.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
I too am a oil-a-holic. I've been clean for one month now, but find myself slipping. My wife found me in the basement last week re-arranging my oil stash. She said I lashed out at her for disturbing me.... she was calling me up for dinner. I am so ashamed. I spent nearly 30 minutes roaming the shelves at the local automart perusing the motor oil selections, in a fervor of "what should I try next". The boy behind the counter, with a squeaky voice, asked me to leave. I have many miles to endure, but I know in time I will get my fix. Be strong my brothers and sister (Oilgal ), be strong.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been there, but I would always hear her coming and quickly pop out of the cellar and make like I was doing something else. I used to sneak cases of oil into the house so I wouldn't hear the kids say, "Mom, Dad bought more oil."

I keep my stash in my wife's scrapbook room closet! She thinks I am nuts for keeping the oil at a perfect 70F year round!

All kidding aside, this addiction to changing oil, talking about oil, hoarding oil, etc. is a very real condition. I admit that i have a problem, but I don't want help!
banana2.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
You must have a better Fumoto than my friends do. They all complain about valve seeping oil and are scared it will someday pop itself open and drain.

I've never had a problem with either of the 2 fumotos I have. They are quite firm to turn. Not to mention that they need to be lifted and turned towards the front. Can't see how they could ever move on their own, at least in my daily driving.

Definitely makes for cleaner oil changes and ease of filling UOA bottles.

I get the bug too. Am about 1400 or 6 weeks miles away from my next OCI. I am always thinking of what my next weekend maintenance project will be. I also visit BITOG just about every day and during breaks at the office. Can't go to Waldo World without cruising the oil aisle and the car stuff dept. first. Some guys call Home Depot their "toy store". My toy store is Advance Auto Parts. Can't wait for all the new sales flyers to post on the AAP and NAPA websites every month. I don't buy much from Autozone.

I am hooked too but more hooked on a total maintenance/performance/repair category than just the next oci.

That next oci sure is sweet though...

Last edited:
The oil addition has crossed over to other areas on the car as well. I take off the throttle body from my little Saturn every oil change and clean off all the carbon off it. Every two oil changes I pop off the EGR and clean gunk off that too. The oil thing has affected other parts of my life.

I still have 5000 miles to go before the big day.
Here something else I do while changing my oil....I also drain the trans fluid pan and refill with fresh Merc V.
I figure as long as I'm down there....
What the heck, it can only keep it all fresh.

I know that one too. Should have seen me last Saturday when I went to a junk yard and got a throttle body off a Dodge 5.2 motor and put it on the 3.9 in my Dakota. Had a lot of fun cleaning it up and "modifying" the throttle linkage with a Dremel cut-off wheel so it would fit my throttle cable. I have even more fun driving it now since it really perked up my passing ability and throttle response.

Thanks for reminding me about the transmission. I had gotten into the habit of popping off the ATF drain plug every 10K and throwing in a fresh 3 quarts also. Can't hurt!

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

All kidding aside, this addiction to changing oil, talking about oil, hoarding oil, etc. is a very real condition. I admit that i have a problem, but I don't want help!
banana2.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif

glad I am not the only one who wouldnt be afraid to admit that there is a problem and DONT want help!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
We are a sick bunch.

Oh gawd how true. I can recall when I used to hate crawling under a car or truck to do an oil change.

Now with the lesser maintenance requirements with XL etc. I'm in the opposite camp. Just can't wait for the 6 month cycle to pass so I can pull a drain plug.

GEZZZZZZZZZZz

Originally Posted By: SuperEd73
Subie also has one of those Fumoto drain valves installed.

You see, that's where you're missing out, you're missing out on turning that wrench.

There's a lot of nice wrenches out there that you're missing out on.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back