Why am I getting excited about changing my oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOGers,

My Subie is just about due for its next OC. It's currently on an Auto-Rx rinse phase. I have my bottles of PP 5W-30, some Pure One oil filters on hand, and a nice new oil drain pain ready to go. Subie also has one of those Fumoto drain valves installed. Normally I don't get excited about doing routine maintenance but I have this odd sense of anticipation. What gives??
21.gif

By the way all of the products mentioned above are being used due to the vast collective knowledge found at BITOG. Many thanks for that
thumbsup2.gif

Ed B.

I get excited too. the smell of fresh oil just after cracking open a new bottle, the glistening of the new oil as it pours out in the sunlight and disapears down the funnel, sipping on that cold beer while I wate for all the oil to drain out...

Last edited:
Its the anticipation of doing an oil change with nearly no mess thanks to the fumoto. Its the anticipation of the satisfaction that you will get watching the precious PP flow into the filler knowing that it will protect your engine and help you sleep well at night. Yes, my friend, welcome to the club, you have the disease! Sorry this is a cheesy reply, but everyone knows its true!

I liken it to the excitement of having a new project in any hobby. Anybody remember plastic model kits -- airplanes, tanks, cars, the classic Aurora monsters of the movies? I'd buy a new kit on Saturday morning (after thinking about it most of Friday night), and be in a fever to get that plastic wrap off, find out how many parts there were, how they fitted, what the instructions suggested for paint, etc.

Listen, I'm thinking about actually buying ramps, even though I don't really have much room to store them, so I can do my own changes again. This despite the fact I'll also have to buy a pan and funnel so I can pour the hot used oil into my Topsider can for the trip to recycling, and clean the pan, and store it as well. . . .

"My name is Paul, and I'm an oil-a-holic."

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Its the anticipation of doing an oil change with nearly no mess thanks to the fumoto.

You must have a better Fumoto than my friends do. They all complain about valve seeping oil and are scared it will someday pop itself open and drain.

I get the itch too, usually about 2 months prior. When it gets in your blood you're screwed.

Seems like I'm going over my check list every week, which in reality is rediculous. The wife is convinced I'm playing with my bottles of XL during the day while she's out. shhhhhh don't tell her but it's true.

Now that the daughter has moved out west I've one less car to maintain. Darn it!

I have a fumoto i got from Bill that he didnt install on his corolla. I have heard a few negative comments but mostly positive ones, so I am going to take the chance on it as well.

Oil
Complusive
Disorder
!

I too feel this bug. I'm getting my hands on my wife-to-be's Outback...and it's gonna get some loving in the near future.

i like to change my oil too...one of best days in my life when i put in pennzoil plat in 99 cavalier last month...i look at this stupid site every day

Originally Posted By: SuperEd73
BITOGers,

My Subie is just about due for its next OC. It's currently on an Auto-Rx rinse phase. I have my bottles of PP 5W-30, some Pure One oil filters on hand, and a nice new oil drain pain ready to go. Subie also has one of those Fumoto drain valves installed. Normally I don't get excited about doing routine maintenance but I have this odd sense of anticipation. What gives??
21.gif

By the way all of the products mentioned above are being used due to the vast collective knowledge found at BITOG. Many thanks for that
thumbsup2.gif

Ed B.

I'm getting excited too as my MMS/OLM is down to 20% (the monkey light comes on at 15%!) and I am out of my oil which you gotta run over to this little warehouse to get. I am contemplating a host of choices.

The other exciting thing is what filter I am going to use! I used the Super tech oil filter last time and more likely will stick to it but if this place has some new kind, I could consider those as well..I believe the last time I went, they had some popular Puraltors that all the lubes were using that looked to be pretty sturdy..not sure if they are similar to the Pure Ones or the Premium Pluses but the prices should be better buying in bulk!

I get excited, especially when I can try out new oils. But I drive so little I've gotta wait another 3 months to change to GC
frown.gif

Yeah, the oil change is a lot of fun, especially since I got my drain valves. But what really puts a damper on the joy of oil changes (like a cold shower) is that usually at the same time a grease job is needed. I absolutely hate doing grease jobs. Anytime my vehicle is in the shop, I will ask them to do the grease job (making sure to tell them NOT to change the oil of course, because the two tend to go together in the industry hand-in-glove).

Sometimes I wish my car had a single grease fitting so I could spend more time outside with the car.

I'm definitely happy with the money spent on that Fumoto drain valve. Not sure how many of you have experience with Subarus but for whatever reason when you pull the drain plug, the oil comes out in a very violent gush. It was causing the upper catch part of my drain pan to overflow before it could drain into the lower tank. At least the Fumoto allows me to control the flow. Hopefully the new drain pan (has a better design) will work better in that regard. Looking forward to Saturday
20.gif

Ed B.

For me, oil changes aren't something I look forward to, but once I pour that new fresh oil in it makes me feel like my engine is thanking me.

I HATE changing my oil filter because it is right over the axle and I can never prevent oil from dripping down my right arm. I really have to reach up the engine block to get to it.

I swear my car seems to run smoother after an oil change too, but it could of course be my imagination.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back