Why 10K Miles Oil change may not be good!

10K miles for OCI, who does that!??

early OCI is a lowest cost of insurance for durability and longevity of your engine

the same goes for your food, everyones likes fresh ingredients or food at the dining table so the same goes for car fluids

again, change your oil early
Across all US models VW recommends 1 year / 10,000 miles. Both my wife and I and my MIL own MKVII Jettas. I change our oil out every 5K whereas she runs all the way out to 10K / 1 year. She just bought out the lease and seems to be ready to own it long term. So we will see how things play out.

I think some set ups are able to do 10K miles OCI's and do quite well in the long run, but our Jettas have a high strung turbo / direct injections and a small 4.2 quart sump. I just can't bring myself to go 10K with it especially as it is used primary for very short trips.

Brings up a interesting point though. 6month/5k. How do folks feel about annual oil changes and less then 3k miles?

The factory recommended OCI on my Jaguar F Type R is 16,000 miles. No way am I ever going to go beyond 1 year or 5000 miles.
Oil changes are not inexpensive, it requires a special formula Castrol oil that is only available at the dealer and a canister filter so the materials run around $130 for a DIY change. But considering the cost of the car that maintenance cost is small potatoes and I'm not going to fret over it.

I saw the video and wondered, does that alone destroy a Camry? Or are there other factors. Toyota is pretty notorious for inventing unneeded services--like a Lexus needing service every 5k. this originated imho in the 80's, and is not applicable in 2022. But how else can the service department make money if they say you need nothing until 100k (like they do with pink coolant). How come "people" will say on the one hand, you don't know as much as the people who engineered the vehicle, yet in this case, the tech claims he knows more than Toyota? :ROFLMAO:

I have a toyota product that says oil change ever 5k. It was not filled with synth when it was mfg in 9/05. Since I use synth and a decent filter (WIX XP), I've decided I can go 6,500. People on the forum have sent out their oil for analysis at 7500 and 10000 and in both cases it was still good.

Once again, there's so many opinions everywhere, we have to interject our own judgement. I would heavily consider the mfg.'s recommendation, then start to listen to others who have data to backup thoughts and opinions....my .02

Brings up a interesting point though. 6month/5k. How do folks feel about annual oil changes and less then 3k miles?
I've changed at.less than 3k miles, but at about 7 mos. I've been on a 6 month, 5,000 mile schedule since purchasing the car. I think I'm OK with your scenario, but I'd definitely want to use a high quality oil if stretching the OCI to a year. An oil that "meets the specs" would never be in the sump under those conditions.

My Tundra, RX 350, and Soul will all be on 5k mile OCIs and 10k oil filter intervals (I change the filter every 5k miles for the first 20k miles). I tend to still use 20K mile oils like M1 EP and Castrol Edge EP. These are all also PFIs or combo PFI/DI engines and I run fuel system cleaners like Barryman or Techron or Redline every 5k miles. If this combo doesn't keep these engines relatively clean I don't know what will...

10K miles for OCI, who does that!??

early OCI is a lowest cost of insurance for durability and longevity of your engine

the same goes for your food, everyones likes fresh ingredients or food at the dining table so the same goes for car fluids

again, change your oil early
I've been changing oil and filter every 10,000 miles since the year 2000 when I bought my first used Lincoln Town Car. I've now owned several TCs and run each one about 150,000 miles. None have ever used and eyedropper's worth of oil between changes. I've always used CAM-2 5W-20 100% synthetic, and I'm dismayed that it's no longer available. My current TC is a 2006 with 145,000 miles on it, and I'm about to do an oil and filter change. Gonna try 0W-40 European Formula keeping my eye on it every 3000 miles till I see whether it's as good as my CAM-2~!

The interesting bit was what he didn't say...what oil was the dealership using at 10K OCI?

No visible sludge or significant varnish in the engine's splashed or washed surfaces, oil control rings were completely immobilized and cylinder wall was worn. Bearing shell he showed had no visible damage. Strong evidence that they were using synthetic oil of some brand. But was it a low-end oil brand? Could TGMO or other reputable brand have prevented this at 10K OCI?

Seems like the oil was cooked at the piston...I'd love to see pics of the piston undersides and I'll ask on his YT channel. Did the oil sprayers in the block clog up (but with what given no visible sludge)? Is it another case of Toyota pistons clogging the oil holes in the ringlands?

Impossible to judge the cyl wall damage, but I really wonder if the oil control rings couldn't have been unstuck with Valvoline Blue Restore oil or something similar...
He did mention in the video that customers assume dealers are using Toyota oil. He said some dealerships use the cheapest oil they get.
If one is changing their own oil with a high quality oil 10k/6mo OCI may be fine.

Is 10,000 miles too long.... or are modern oil standards just not good enough?

I've been changing oil and filter every 10,000 miles since the year 2000 when I bought my first used Lincoln Town Car. I've now owned several TCs and run each one about 150,000 miles. None have ever used and eyedropper's worth of oil between changes. I've always used CAM-2 5W-20 100% synthetic, and I'm dismayed that it's no longer available. My current TC is a 2006 with 145,000 miles on it, and I'm about to do an oil and filter change. Gonna try 0W-40 European Formula keeping my eye on it every 3000 miles till I see whether it's as good as my CAM-2~!
A Lincoln Town Car is going to be different than a Camry that only holds 4 quarts of oil. I would also think that the Camry would rev higher and be driven harder than a Lincoln Town Car.

Can anyone here post the section in the owners manual of a 2002 Toyota Camry where it lays everything out for OCI's?

Perhaps. We drive each car about 20k miles/year so we hit 10k miles before 6 months. Maybe 10k miles / 12 months would be fine. Never really been in that place.

My wife's Mustang sees about 20k miles/year as well. Therefore, we use an oil that's good to 20k miles.

Back