Why 0w-20 and 0w-40 so popular, BUT not 0w-30?

This is off topic, but it cracks me up how the FCA spec recommendations are always disregarded while other manufacturer specs are treated as gospel. Double standard anyone? :rolleyes:
It cracks me up how some people cannot read and understand their owner's manual. Nobody is "disregarding" the specification, only pointing out that the manufacturer does not require it per their own language in their own manual. It is recommended but not required. If an individual believes it is important then by all means they should take the recommendation to heart and buy an oil that meets the specification. That's not a wrong decision but it's also not required.

It cracks me up how some people cannot read and understand their owner's manual. Nobody is "disregarding" the specification, only pointing out that the manufacturer does not require it per their own language in their own manual. It is recommended but not required. If an individual believes it is important then by all means they should take the recommendation to heart and buy an oil that meets the specification. That's not a wrong decision but it's also not required.
I own a GM and FCA both in warranty … and two Ford’s that were, but are not. Can’t be chasing that many rainbows … so Dexos is my standard for all of them … 0w20 or 5w30 … Top shelf lubes …
Know what cracks me up … people on this site attack GM for Dexos, but not for Dexron …

Since you brought up the lack in ability to read and understand. I’d like to point out that I didn’t say FCA requirements, I stated FCA recommendation.

Do GM, BMW, Honda, etc. state that their various specs are required or recommended? The last GM I had was an ‘06, and I believe it recommended but did not require.

Regardless of the semantics involved, the point stands that people put significantly more weight in GM, BMW, Merc., specs as opposed to FCA.

This is off topic, but it cracks me up how the FCA spec recommendations are always disregarded while other manufacturer specs are treated as gospel. Double standard anyone? :rolleyes:

There are some approvals that are mandatory, like for example A40, where you'd be foolish to disregard. Others, like Dexos are ubiquitous, so while the manufacturer may not absolutely require it, you'll likely end up using a product that has it anyways.

Other approvals, like the Ford WS ones or the FCA MS ones which are just modifications/tweaks to the existing API tests and perhaps a fleet test component (FCA) are optional and don't bring much to the table, particularly when compared to Dexos and the like.

Most of the people disregarding the FCA approvals, like myself, do so, because they are running Mobil 1, which can clearly meet the requirements and the product already meets more stringent approvals anyways. Since it's only a recommendation in the owner's manual, there's no risk either, unlike with mandatory approvals like LL-04, 229.5, A40...etc.

That's noack, noack, noacking on heaven's door!

So it is looking like XoM is expanding is base stock choices from the visom(TM) slack-wax and other GrpIII from a decade ago.
I might have to try some of their newer stuff - though I am not a fan of SOPUS GTL based products I've tried and I don't know what GTL XoM may - or may not be using in the GTL realm. But Some times some slight recipe tweaking can turn a just O.K. product in to a stunner.

Proof is in the Pudding, I suppose.

Call me an idiot, but, are those the oils Pennzoil/SOPUS touts as being "poured from natural gas" or something like that?

Full disclaimer: Between Mobil 1 and Redline, I'll probably never touch Pennzoil or AMSOIL although both are available to me. Personal preference, based on experience through time and information gleaned from this motor oil site. Non-binding lol.

I own a GM and FCA both in warranty … and two Ford’s that were, but are not. Can’t be chasing that many rainbows … so Dexos is my standard for all of them … 0w20 or 5w30 … Top shelf lubes …
Know what cracks me up … people on this site attack GM for Dexos, but not for Dexron …
The problem with Dexos is you are supporting GM whenever you buy a Dexos certified oil. So I understand completely why a lot of people are upset about it to be honest.

I work at the BMW plant in Greer SC and they used to use 0w20 but switched to 0w30 as the 2020 model year was rolling out. I don't know why though.

My 19 Renegade with the 1.3 turbo specs 0w30. I run Mobil 1 AFE in it.

Too many guys are still incorrectly focusing on oil grade and NOT approvals and spec !

M1 AFE 0W30 is not even CLOSE to being a MB229.5 approval 0W30 A3 lubricant

EDGE 0W30 A3/B4

If I was having trouble finding oil, I would put a real Euro syn in there and not fool around.
Castrol 0W30 - has a pour of -60C so likely majority PAO as in the good ole days.

Has Approvals: BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VAG 505 00 etc

But know that the BP oil finder does say they DO NOT have an oil for you Application.

To be honest, the Safest bet wold be a dealer parts counter purchase - if THEY have it

I'm sure your FCA engine will not blow up due to lubricant failure with the M1 - as long as you don't wail on it

-Ken

At Walmart today. You can get a TEAM CANADA hat north of the border. Enjoy.

5E1BE1D5-C755-4F4E-AC75-E67B27BEB9B4.jpeg

Once upon a time, I made an M1 0w30 by mixing 0w20 EP with 0w40 EF. Used it all through the winter. Seemed to work OK.

Too many guys are still incorrectly focusing on oil grade and NOT approvals and spec !

M1 AFE 0W30 is not even CLOSE to being a MB229.5 approval 0W30 A3 lubricant

EDGE 0W30 A3/B4

If I was having trouble finding oil, I would put a real Euro syn in there and not fool around.
Castrol 0W30 - has a pour of -60C so likely majority PAO as in the good ole days.

Has Approvals: BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VAG 505 00 etc

But know that the BP oil finder does say they DO NOT have an oil for you Application.

To be honest, the Safest bet wold be a dealer parts counter purchase - if THEY have it

I'm sure your FCA engine will not blow up due to lubricant failure with the M1 - as long as you don't wail on it

-Ken

Does it matter that the Castrol isn't SN+ Rated? There's two oils that meet the MS-13340 and are SN+, the Mopar brand one and Pennzoil Plat 5W30. I chose the Mobil 1 since it's SN+ Rated and is the right weight.

btw what happened to all GC fans?
wasn't that a high hths 0W30?

Maybe the price is the issue. Good 0W30 oils are about $10 / qt. Whereas a relatively good 0W40 (M1?) could be as low as $4.50 / qt.
Would it be wrong to call the GC a Euro type oil as the other 0W-40 oils ? [ other that the vettes and Dodge Hellcat engines , there may be others].

That's a Fiat engine needs euro spec. Oil

btw what happened to all GC fans?
wasn't that a high hths 0W30?

Maybe the price is the issue. Good 0W30 oils are about $10 / qt. Whereas a relatively good 0W40 (M1?) could be as low as $4.50 / qt.
GC 0W30 fell off the face of the earth because of A40. M1 new life had more approvals and was cheaper, so BP made their own version.

Last edited:
Back