Why 0w-20 and 0w-40 so popular, BUT not 0w-30?

Yeah 0W30 seems to be a rare bird. I remember way back when the original German Castrol 0W30 was all the rage. It was the only 0W30 I remember seeing.

Yeah 0W30 seems to be a rare bird. I remember way back when the original German Castrol 0W30 was all the rage. It was the only 0W30 I remember seeing.

GC and Amsoil Series 2000 were quite popular back then.

My 19 Renegade with the 1.3 turbo specs 0w30. I run Mobil 1 AFE in it.
Wow that one of the highest specific out put engine out there.
Is that the new Multiair III Firefly unit? This challenges VAG for the best Small 4 turbo engine.

Buster mentioned in a previous discussion that M1 0W30 AFE has come a long way in its formulation;
But Doesn't FCA have a higher spec for this engine than a ILSAC GF-6A lube?

Enjoy!

M1 site states that no Mobil1 oil meets your manufacturer engine oil requirement.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. The 2019 owner's manual states:

"Engine Oil Selection — 1.3L Turbo Engine For best performance and maximum protection for turbocharged engines under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recommends synthetic engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340."

and:

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 1.3L Turbo Engine Mopar SAE 0W-30 SN PLUS synthetic engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-13340 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."

There is virtually nothing there in terms of actual requirements. In fact I don't see anything that's required.

M1 site states that no Mobil1 oil meets your manufacturer engine oil requirement.

I don't think Mobil recommends any of their Mobil 1 oils (officially) for FCA applications ever since they lost the service fill contract and stopped getting the FCA approvals. However, most of the FCA owners manuals don't stipulate use of an oil with the FCA endorsement but rather one that is API approved and of the appropriate grade, requirements which Mobil has several offerings that fulfill.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The 2019 owner's manual states:

"Engine Oil Selection — 1.3L Turbo Engine For best performance and maximum protection for turbocharged engines under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recommends synthetic engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340."

and:

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 1.3L Turbo Engine Mopar SAE 0W-30 SN PLUS synthetic engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-13340 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."

There is virtually nothing there in terms of actual requirements. In fact I don't see anything that's required.

Yeah I know. Like I posted from the owner's manual it doesn't have language requiring the specification, so although ExxonMobil's statement is correct that doesn't mean that all their oils are unsuitable for this vehicle. In fact you could use nearly any engine oil ExxonMobil sells and meet what the manual states.

Like Overkill notes it's not a technical objection and doesn't really make sense. Another reason to read and understand the owner's manual and follow what it says (or doesn't say), rather than some third-party recommendation.

Last edited:
I had a few threads on here about it and we concluded that no one knows what the Mopar spec actually is. In any case, the M1 0W30 has great specs. Pennzoil Plat 5W30 meets the MS-13340 spec, but obviously not the weight requirement. I don't think the new Pennzoil Max power meets the MS-13340 spec either.

I had a few threads on here about it and we concluded that no one knows what the Mopar spec actually is. In any case, the M1 0W30 has great specs. Pennzoil Plat 5W30 meets the MS-13340 spec, but obviously not the weight requirement. I don't think the new Pennzoil Max power meets the MS-13340 spec either.
According to the text I posted from the owner’s manual there’s really no grade (“weight”) requirement either. Only a recommendation, same as for the specification.

You're right... never thought about it like that. What is interesting is that the Jeeps with the 2.0 turbo, the manual recommends 5w30.

I could act like I know what that means but I don't! What would you run in this engine?
HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine.

I could act like I know what that means but I don't! What would you run in this engine?

"Euro" oils typically have higher hths or check for a3/b3 or a3/b4 spec.

You can check the hths in datasheets.
If you are more relaxed with your oil selection i.e. don't have a fancy car or religiously follow the spec ... you can do the redneck hths adjustment lol by moving up a grade e.g. from 20 to 30 or from 30 to 40.

The only 0w-30 that is commonly available is Mobil 1 and honestly it is not that much different from their 5w30 offerings. Mobil 1 0w40 is just barely above the threshold between 30 and 40 weight oils and I have had a lot of good results using it in 5w30 applications. M1 0w30 seems like a fairly generic API approved oil while M1 0w40 has a superb reputation with many high level manufacturer approvals. I personally don't see the need or want to buy M1 0w30 when I can buy what I consider to be a superior product in M1 0w40 for the same price.

This is off topic, but it cracks me up how the FCA spec recommendations are always disregarded while other manufacturer specs are treated as gospel. Double standard anyone? :rolleyes:

Back