Why 0w-20 and 0w-40 so popular, BUT not 0w-30?

The 0w30 is getting more popular as a Euro Oil. I’m running it in my 6.0 Chevy this winter.

E40932F0-0CA8-4C10-BE44-95718727FA27.jpeg

yep, lots of high performance Mopars use 0w-40 and the Vettes for the pasts few years. I just see almost all 0w-20 these days and 5w-30, some 0w-40's and almost no 0w-30's where I think 0w-30 is the in between compromise that I would think would be the go to in these modern times when oil technology can make a "great" 0w-30.

I use M1 0w-30 in my WRX now and Love it! I just got it and did first oil change last week, but my 04 Impreza wagon I used it exclusively since 65k and I just retired it at 237k due to transmission and rust - was still running Great. I first changed to 0w-30, after reading Motor Oil University (BITOG) and I was convinced. When I changed it nearly eliminated the "sewing machine" lifter ticking that subarus are famous for, especially at low temps.. I wasn't really after any fuel mileage and I didn't notice any significant MPG improvement. I do think it is a great idea to improve flow at startup to change from (engine mfr specified) 5w-30 to 0w-30 on Any car. Note: The hot weight being 30 should give no difference after warming up, but the 0 cold weight at startup is still more viscous than 30 hot.
I also changed to 10k OCI on my own which seemed just fine for the NA old subaru - I think the walmart 5qt at $25 was better protection and cheaper than 5k OCI with conventional oil.

Why is it that so many cars call for 0w-20 and many for 0w-40, but 0w-30 is almost unheard of. I know 0w-30 is available by some oil manufactures, but almost unheard of as recommended for a main recommendation? They chose 5w-30 instead.

Seems like 0w-30 would be the new go to oil for the best of everything. 0w for great cold flow performance and start-up fuel economy and the 30 that is the go to mid weight. I know that 0w isn't needed unless below crazy cold temps., but is nice.
Looking at data sheets, surprisingly many 0W30 are more viscous at running temps and cold start temps than their 5W30 siblings - even the A5/B5 flavors. The automakers are pressured to provide big CAFE numbers, so every 1/10 of a MPG counts; therefor they feel a lower HTHS/ Lower KV100 lubricant is required. That "0W" front number doesn't do much until you are getting near the gelation point at -25C and below; It doesn't really come into play at say -5 Celsius.
I won't drive an un-garaged car/truck in those temps; the cold ruins other parts of the car like: alternator bearings, waterpump seals, wheel bearings and CV joints - to name a few. Even the Exhaust system fills up with acidic water. I take a Vacation day.
if you want a great margin of safety with acceptable cold flow in a high power density turbo engine, a 5W40 MB229.5x spec lube is the way to go if the manufacturer allows it - and maybe sometimes if they dont!

-Ken

I still have this case of 0w-30 from back when we had the Expedition:

View attachment 33149View attachment 33150
Wow, valuable stuff!
I had bought the 5W30 Motul about 15 years ago for my Toyota - it was even a bit too thin for the little Yaris 3 door.
But no matter how cold the cold start was, the engine didn't seem to notice the cold at all with that oil. That was back in the BIG PAO % days of Motul 8100. It's like a French version of Classic Mobil 1 - back when Mobil 1 was "real" Synthetic oil.

5wX is rather better (thinner) at "milder" winter startup temps. Say 30F to 0F. In contrast 0wX oils are only better at say -35F.

0W30 is recommended for the Hyundai i30N. Even has it on the filler cap.

I use Shell ECT 0W30 C3. A HTHS of ~3.6 so it stands up to track use (which is covered by warranty). Not sure Id go a thinner 0W30 that is just C2 only.

I just called Mobil and they told me the typical Noack value for M1 0w30 AFE is 8.7%.
That's noack, noack, noacking on heaven's door!

So it is looking like XoM is expanding is base stock choices from the visom(TM) slack-wax and other GrpIII from a decade ago.
I might have to try some of their newer stuff - though I am not a fan of SOPUS GTL based products I've tried and I don't know what GTL XoM may - or may not be using in the GTL realm. But Some times some slight recipe tweaking can turn a just O.K. product in to a stunner.

Proof is in the Pudding, I suppose.

That's noack, noack, noacking on heaven's door!

So it is looking like XoM is expanding is base stock choices from the visom(TM) slack-wax and other GrpIII from a decade ago.
I might have to try some of their newer stuff - though I am not a fan of SOPUS GTL based products I've tried and I don't know what GTL XoM may - or may not be using in the GTL realm. But Some times some slight recipe tweaking can turn a just O.K. product in to a stunner.

Proof is in the Pudding, I suppose.

Yeah 8.7% is really good. It's GTL/III/PAO/AN I believe.

Back