Who steals a Kia ?

Someone tried to steal a neighbors Kia. Broke out the back window. It's not a newer model at least a 18.. they were at it for at least 5 minutes and something spooked them. Spooked them bad enough they took off before the guy even got back in the car, kinda funny to watch.

Ok , after reading all of this I called my sister and asked for more info . The car is not a 2022 , it's a 2018 . I thought her daughter had traded the vehicle for a newer one but it was a lease and she just bought it when the lease ran out .

the club is useless unless you use it with the shield which prevents cutting the steering wheel, a club can be removed in seconds by simply cutting the steering wheel

Apparently there is , or was a class action suit against K/H . I found the same of the firm and my sister is going to call them Monday .

Around here, 12 and 13 year olds.
Was passed by a brand new '22 Kia with the temp tag still on the back that had the back window broken out of it (with the obligatory sheet of visqueen over it.)

The problem is the ignition lock pops right out and at that point you have access to the ignition switch and can use a USB-A or flathead screwdriver to easily turn the ignition switch behind it. No hot wiring required.

The older ones are extremely easy to steal. Just pop out the lock cylinder and turn the ignition with literally anything. A usb type a cord works very well and then drive away. Probably a 30 second steal.

Kids stole a Kia SUV in Buffalo using the Tik Tok challenge and crashed it killing four of them. A bit sad as they were teens but also a bit of a Darwin moment for these would be Valedictorians....

Alleged driver in fatal Kia crash on the 33 arraigned​

By Brianne Roesser City of Buffalo
PUBLISHED 5:06 PM ET Oct. 28, 2022

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The 16-year-old accused of driving a stolen Kia on Monday in a crash that killed four other teens was arraigned Friday in Erie County Family Court.
The defendant, who authorities are not identifying, is charged with one count of criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree and one count of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in the third degree. These charges do not qualify for bail, according to the district attorney's office, and the defendant was released under supervision with an ankle monitor. He pleaded not guilty.
“I get that the optics are not good when I have four dead teenagers and this kid is out there playing video games right now," said Erie County District Attorney John Flynn. "So I recognize that and I’m not happy about that. But in this particular case, for the time being, that’s the way it has to be because I need to gather additional evidence in order to potentially charge more serious crimes.”
The prosecution said they plan to present the case to a grand jury in an attempt to indict him on more serious charges. Prosecutors also asked for and were granted a protection order for one witness.
Flynn said he could not confirm the so-called "Kia Challenge," a TikTok trend encouraging others to break into Kia cars using phone chargers, played a part, but he believed it may have been a factor. He said the investigation will take some time as they collect evidence from a destroyed vehicle, including data from the car's so-called black box.
Victims who died in the crash range from ages 14 to 19. Another 14-year-old girl remains in the hospital.
fatal-buffalo-crash-index.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Kids stole a Kia SUV in Buffalo using the Tik Tok challenge and crashed it killing four of them. A bit sad as they were teens but also a bit of a Darwin moment for these would be Valedictorians....

They should be charging him with vehicular homicide or manslaughter or something serious like that. Not letting him out under supervision so he can go play video games. What a ridiculous country this has turned in to. But hopefully in the end he’ll spend a better part of his life locked up.

They should be charging him with vehicular homicide or manslaughter or something serious like that. Not letting him out under supervision so he can go play video games. What a ridiculous country this has turned in to. But hopefully in the end he’ll spend a better part of his life locked up.
They may be I think. But he's also a minor, though can be charged as an adult but it takes a process. If he were 18 he'd be in general lockup at ECHC which is a fairly brutal place in its own right....

Usually when teens die in accidents like this you see vigils and parents and classmates mourning them with events. None of that here...

Alleged driver in fatal Kia crash on the 33 arraigned​

By Brianne Roesser City of Buffalo
PUBLISHED 5:06 PM ET Oct. 28, 2022

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The 16-year-old accused of driving a stolen Kia on Monday in a crash that killed four other teens was arraigned Friday in Erie County Family Court.
The defendant, who authorities are not identifying, is charged with one count of criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree and one count of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in the third degree. These charges do not qualify for bail, according to the district attorney's office, and the defendant was released under supervision with an ankle monitor. He pleaded not guilty.
“I get that the optics are not good when I have four dead teenagers and this kid is out there playing video games right now," said Erie County District Attorney John Flynn. "So I recognize that and I’m not happy about that. But in this particular case, for the time being, that’s the way it has to be because I need to gather additional evidence in order to potentially charge more serious crimes.”
The prosecution said they plan to present the case to a grand jury in an attempt to indict him on more serious charges. Prosecutors also asked for and were granted a protection order for one witness.
Flynn said he could not confirm the so-called "Kia Challenge," a TikTok trend encouraging others to break into Kia cars using phone chargers, played a part, but he believed it may have been a factor. He said the investigation will take some time as they collect evidence from a destroyed vehicle, including data from the car's so-called black box.
Victims who died in the crash range from ages 14 to 19. Another 14-year-old girl remains in the hospital.
fatal-buffalo-crash-index.jpg
Likely will be civil lawsuits- and H/K has the deep pockets. All five, including the driver will likely be plaintiffs.

Already class action lawsuits nationally and here, but hey, Kia will give you a club! In any case four of the five are dead and all are too dumb for that nonsense...
f761f9a0-84cd-4bba-9b15-3c1797512899-medium16x9_Steve_1.jpg

Thief: it's not my fault I stole the car. It should have had an immobilizer.

I don't know one state that requires cars sold to have anti theft devices in the US. But I guess the legal system will sort that out.

Next up: homes without bars on the windows.

Last edited:
That will deter some but the weak link is the steering wheel.
It will deter the young punks to move on to easier pastures because very few people use these anymore. Around these parts, the pros steal Muscle cars. The kids steal Hondas and now Korean cars but Honda is still the most taken.

That is a deterrence to most, but is easily removed by anyone who Googles it on the LockPickingLawyer YouTube channel.
You don't need to pick the lock in the keyway to remove it.

Anything on the road can be stolen if the thief puts in the necessary effort to study the online methods. From keyless entry frequency mimicking to cutting steering wheels to remove the bar. The aim is to make it less palatable.

Lawyers and rocket scientists, obviously.
My niece works at a Dialysis Clinic . Her 2022 Kia Soul was parked in the lot the other night , under a streetlight . Some idiot, or possibly plural idiots broke out the back window and entered the vehicle . They then pulled the wires out of the steering column in what appears to be an attempt to " hotwire " the ignition . Obviously they weren't successful at that . Dealer says the damages are over $5k , and who knows when they will get the harness . What fool thinks you can twist wires together and start a vehicle and drive it away ? Furthermore , what fool risks going to jail over a Kia Soul ...

Really nothing to it. We have had probably 20 stolen Kia and Hyundai in the body shop this year. More than I have ever seen in my life. TikTok challenge where they bust out the back window, pop the ignition out with a screwdriver, and then use the square end of a usb cable to turn the ignition over. Just an easy thief for a joy ride.

Back