Who steals a Kia ?

My niece works at a Dialysis Clinic . Her 2022 Kia Soul was parked in the lot the other night , under a streetlight . Some idiot, or possibly plural idiots broke out the back window and entered the vehicle . They then pulled the wires out of the steering column in what appears to be an attempt to " hotwire " the ignition . Obviously they weren't successful at that . Dealer says the damages are over $5k , and who knows when they will get the harness . What fool thinks you can twist wires together and start a vehicle and drive it away ? Furthermore , what fool risks going to jail over a Kia Soul ...

I guess they didn't watch the whole TikTok, there's something about plugging a USB cable in but I don't know. I can tell you many column covers are on backorder.

Unless your Hyundai/Kia is using button start otherwise the lock itself is very easy to be defeated, that why we got Kia boys stealing all day all night.

There was a time in this country if you stole a horse or someone's livestock, you could be shot or hanged. Obviously, we are more civilized today. But from my POV in the current legal environment there is no strong deterrent that keeps these miserable examples from doing what they do. That has to change.

They actually can be stolen by breaking the lock with hand tools and a little simple hotwiring. Kias lack basic anti-theft design measures that have been standard on all other cars for years. People who are inclined to steal a car gravitate toward H/K.

Unless your Hyundai/Kia is using button start otherwise the lock itself is very easy to be defeated, that why we got Kia boys stealing all day all night.
Up to 2021. 2022 and newer have immobilizer. But because they can't tell the difference, I'm employing the use of a bright yellow steering wheel lock.
20220827_122634.jpg

Like said above, models up to 2021 don't have immobilizers and are real easy to hotwire.

The issue is the thieves are gangs of 13 year old boys, and they're too "innocent" to prosecute.

It's the same idiot profile that stole my wife's cell phone out of her purse the other day. She locked it up immediately and the phone was useless to resell. Why these thieves fail to think is beyond my belief. Rule #1 UNLESS YOU ARE MECHANICALLY INCLINED IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO HOT WIRE THESE NEW CARS! IDIOTS! BTW there is nothing wrong with a 2022 Kia Soul and lot's of people love them.

Up to 2021. 2022 and newer have immobilizer. But because they can't tell the difference, I'm employing the use of a bright yellow steering wheel lock. View attachment 124564

That is a deterrence to most, but is easily removed by anyone who Googles it on the LockPickingLawyer YouTube channel.
You don't need to pick the lock in the keyway to remove it.

they saw it had a key ignition but didn’t realize it was a 22.

21 and down outside of canada it’s as simple as removing the tumbler and using a usb cable or whatever fits to turn the ignition switch

Back