Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: john stasa
Does anyone have any info on KIA oil filters? The only thing i know they are made in KOREA.

They are made in Korea, they appear to be made using Mann designs, and I have disassembled the Hyundai/Kia filters and found them to be of excellent construction.

Made by Dongwoo which was partly owned but is now 100% owned by Mann+Hammel.

Ken

Ooops should I of said that?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: gr8shot

On to filters... lol. I'm trying to bring back all those brain cells I killed and remember who all we made filters for. Here goes... AcDelco, CAT, Purolator, WIX, Fram, Napa, Motorcraft, John Deere, Donaldson, Hastings (since they own Hastings). And those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. And from seeing the PO's in the database.

Now I'm DEFINENTLY NOT saying that ALL of those brands of filters are ALL made by Baldwin, cuz that'd be dumb. But they do make some filters for quite a few other mfr's. I think a lot of people underestimate the sheer amount of filters that Baldwin actually makes!

They also do in house testing for all of their filters. I got to watch and help do some analysis in that area. They burst and cycle test their filters, along with testing flow rates, and holding capacity of the filter media. A typical filter will last for around a million cycles of 0 to whatever psi, and back to zero. Performed at 1 cycle per second. You can actually watch the filter pulsate, kind of like a heart beating.

It's been interesting to read and see who knows what, and who's blowin smoke. I can already tell there's a lot of smart guys here!! I'm not going to say I know everything, or even that I know very much. Cuz I don't know a lot about filters, and even less about oil!! But now you guys know what I know... thanks, and look forward to learnin more!!

Cool!! That's just like us, We make filters for our competitors too. Even Fram.

It's a mater of economies. Should we tool up to make a particular filter, or is it cheaper to purchase it from someone else. Does the current market volume warrant the expense. Purchase units until we do get tooled up so that we have the application in out product lineup.

When we lost the Sears business to Purolator, many moons ago, every Monday morning there were Purolator trucks at our warehouse picking up Wix filters to be rebadged (with our permission)in Fayetteville as Sears Filters. Purolator didn't have the manufacturing capacity for the business they thought they weren't going to get. So they purchased our capacity and paid a premium for it. We were happy, Sears was saving 0.25 cents ($1/4 cent) a filter and Purolator ate the big bullet.

It's the way it works everywhere, no matter the business/product.

Last edited:
Anyone know who makes Mitsubishi Diamond Star filters ?

I am thinking of stocking up some since I now have three Mitsubishi vehicles.

Are brands such as FULL(Siam Filter Products) or NPN(Nippon Filters) any good for those who have opened them up ?

Ok, finally took the Mitsu OEM filter off and to my surprise it is a Denso as it is written on the can and it has the Denso O-Ring seal !, but it is made in Thailand which leads me to believe that Denso has contracted out their oil filters to FULL(Siam Filter Products).

I don't know where you came up with that list but it's incorrect. For instance, the Mopar (Chrysler) filters have been made by Purolator for many years now. Chrysler, in fact, has a TSB issued, warning AGAINST using Fram oil filters on their diesel pickups due to the filters coming apart and getting into the oil passage-ways.

You need to look at one chiefsfan. Most likely a Champ or rebadged Fram ..but it could be anyone's.

Can anyone tell me who makes subaru oem filters? And can anyone tell me how a failing filter could cause enough engine pressure to back oil into the intake manifold? (or is that a different post?)

So, who makes AC Delco filters now? I was in Autozone the other day and picked up a PF52 AC Delco and was suprised by its heft. The STP and Delco PF52 Used to be the exact same length and weight, but I put the two side by side for comparison and the STP is shorter and not as heavy as the Delco. I'm assuming that the Delco is no longer made by Champion? If so they had to have changed their specs, the old PF52 was never that heavy.

Also are the Motorcraft and Advance Auto house brand still made by Purolator?

Someone inquired a while back about Motor Trend filters, up to a couple of years ago Champion Labs made both Car and Driver and Motor Trend filters. FWIW it was the same exact media and housing as the Valuecraft filters (the really cheap Autozone filter). I don't know about who makes them now.

Also, the same goes for Nissan. Denso was making them at least until a couple of years ago.

The MC and AATG are made by Purolator. You can tell by the thread being stamped into the base plate.

We recently had an O'Reilly's open up int he area and I was looknig at thier house brand filters - so who makes the O'Reilly/MicroGard filters?

i have just purched a caddy cts with a 3.6 vr and want to use the best filter. price is not a factor only us made and the best. thanks for help in choice

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
i have just purched a caddy cts with a 3.6 vr and want to use the best filter. price is not a factor only us made and the best. thanks for help in choice

Purolator PureOne.

G.

Originally Posted By: mcshooter

Wix filters, NAPA GOLD filters, CarQuest Blue Filters are good options that are US made. They are all made in NC. K&N and Mobil 1 filters are good filters as well. A bit more pricey though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back