Who is following you home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Because criminals love to stake out shooting ranges and then follow someone home because they know that person has guns in the house and they can rob them. Every time I go shooting, or purchase a gun, I am always careful to make sure that nobody is following me around or following me home."

Makes sense. Which is why I find it funny when people say to post targets in their windows and "protected by smith and Wesson" and we don't call 911 type stuff out.

Perfect situation for a stake out and home robbery when the homeowners go out to dinner.

Reminds me of those who have the HUGE "Pioneer" or "Kenwood" banner across their windshield. Imo,that's advertising that you have something worth stealing.

I do not see where this is anything new. For at least thirty years I have checked to make sure I am not followed. I picked up that skill as I worked in some rather dangerous parts of town. It is easy to do. In a high crime area, you just do this as a matter of course. People's body language, and the way they drive their vehicles, can be read if you put some effort into it.

When I see how wide open some people are, it is amazing that there is as little crime as there is.

I was followed once after a road rage incident. I was going the speed limit through the contstruction zone. The person was tailgating me flashing their high beams.

After we went around the same block 3 times ... they just sped off randomly.

Last edited:
I was followed once. Four guys in an old Bronco were going about 20mph in a 45. I was stuck behind them for awhile and passed them as soon as we hit a passing zone. Suddenly, they were following about an inch from my bumper. I made a random turn to see if they'd follow; they did.

I didn't go home and instead drove all the way back to town with them tailgating me all the way, until I pulled into the police station. They lost interest in following me but they all did the "rebel yell" when they drove past and the driver pointed at me.

To this day, I have no idea what the deal was. Just some guys being [censored], I guess.

If somebody followed me home from the gun range I would get the license number of their vehicle and call the sheriff department. If anything happens the sheriff department has the license number. Make a report.

Same thing if somebody made threats and so forth. Get the license number and make a report.

Unless the criminals are using a stolen license plate the authorities can pay a visit to whoever owns the license plate if anything happens to you.

And if they want to follow me home and break in and threaten me I have a 9 mm handgun. Where I live if I call 911 it might take 10, 20, or even 30 minutes for help to arrive. If they disarm ordinary citizens what do you do to defend yourself in that time? According to studies that have been done criminals are less likely to break into homes where they know there are firearms. Criminals have been interviewed and that is what the criminals say-they will pick a home where they think there are no firearms.

I am going to get a "I love my Mastiffs" bumper sticker. A thief can wonder if its true if he is thinking about following me home. While I don't have any guns I just might have a Mastiff. Although the marrow bones on the lawn and porch cracked open length wise might be a clue.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
If somebody followed me home from the gun range I would get the license number of their vehicle and call the sheriff department. If anything happens the sheriff department has the license number. Make a report.

Same thing if somebody made threats and so forth. Get the license number and make a report.

Unless the criminals are using a stolen license plate the authorities can pay a visit to whoever owns the license plate if anything happens to you.

And if they want to follow me home and break in and threaten me I have a 9 mm handgun. Where I live if I call 911 it might take 10, 20, or even 30 minutes for help to arrive. If they disarm ordinary citizens what do you do to defend yourself in that time? According to studies that have been done criminals are less likely to break into homes where they know there are firearms. Criminals have been interviewed and that is what the criminals say-they will pick a home where they think there are no firearms.

I have heard stories of interviews from thieves in prison. The first thing they are worried about is a dog. The next thing they are worried about is a second dog. The last thing is the click-click of a pump action shotgun.

Grandparents owned four dogs. In forty years in Philly, never had a breakin. Others on the block have.

This just happened a couple of weeks ago...

A local family came home to find their dog dead, then two days later the house was burglarized.

Someone had been casing the place to know their schedules and to take the dog out of the equation first. Sad.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Mystic

I have heard stories of interviews from thieves in prison. The first thing they are worried about is a dog. The next thing they are worried about is a second dog. The last thing is the click-click of a pump action shotgun.

Maybe true, but a lot of criminals have meaner dogs than the average person. Someone who has a mean [censored] dog that they intentionally raised that way is not going to be afraid of a family pet.

It's also pretty easy to get on the good side of most dogs. Unless trained to guard, many aren't that good at it. I've known some REALLY good guard dogs, but most dogs are suckers for treats, attention, or both.

And while most people probably aren't that good with a gun, at least it's in your hands and under your control. Better than counting on Fido to save the day.

I'll take a Rottweiler and a gun. Better to have all bases covered. No Rottweiler yet though, guns are lower maintenance.

My local outdoor range has a big sign across the inside of the gate as a reminder to reload your carry gun.

Last edited:
The NRA-ILA says this is a bogus concern:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/rumor-alert-the-vehicle-gun-theft-%E2%80%9Cepidemic%E2%80%9D.aspx

partial quote:

"The latest of these, appearing on Internet message boards and in emails, warns of a growing trend of gangsters marking the license plates or wheels of vehicles parked at shooting clubs, gun stores, ranges and gun shows. According to the rumor, the thieves later spot or follow the marked vehicles and break into them to steal guns while their owners are elsewhere."

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
"Because criminals love to stake out shooting ranges and then follow someone home because they know that person has guns in the house and they can rob them. Every time I go shooting, or purchase a gun, I am always careful to make sure that nobody is following me around or following me home."

Makes sense. Which is why I find it funny when people say to post targets in their windows and "protected by smith and Wesson" and we don't call 911 type stuff out.

Perfect situation for a stake out and home robbery when the homeowners go out to dinner.

This is why I don't put an NRA sticker on my truck

I had some folks follow me bumper to bumper after I backed into them very lightly. They turned where I turned and then they finally went away.

Heh, I was a teenager then. I guess I didn't pay any mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back