Who has the oldest Daily Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1992 Cavalier 2.2L/auto has been my daily driver since 2006. Bought it wrecked with 76,000 miles. Fixed it and it now has 229,000 miles.

1982 Dodge D150. Not driven daily, but 3 or 4 times a week. My step son's latest daily driver is a 1990 Geo Prizm. 50 miles per day.

It is my DD for work. Only puts on about 80km a week or so. 1993 373,000km. I am still looking for something 1987 and older with a manual trans. Cheaper insurance and teach the kids how to drive a stick.

IMG_20181115_162721.jpg

1999 Camry with 196k on the clock. Refugee from Arizona, so it was rust free. Going to quickly catch up now... I put about 2,000 miles a month onto it. Quick struts and rear wheel bearings, timing belt with the usual seals on the 5S FE, few other things that the PO did (starter, battery). I think it's the oldest car in the lot at work, and possibly the worst looking too (that bit about being from Arizona--it left all the clearcoat back home when it came up it seems).

I hate to say it but I prefer driving it over my wife's 2011 Camry. Slower, more NVH and perhaps smaller, but better in just about everything else.

Originally Posted by supton
1999 Camry with 196k on the clock. Refugee from Arizona, so it was rust free. Going to quickly catch up now... I put about 2,000 miles a month onto it. Quick struts and rear wheel bearings, timing belt with the usual seals on the 5S FE, few other things that the PO did (starter, battery). I think it's the oldest car in the lot at work, and possibly the worst looking too (that bit about being from Arizona--it left all the clearcoat back home when it came up it seems).

I hate to say it but I prefer driving it over my wife's 2011 Camry. Slower, more NVH and perhaps smaller, but better in just about everything else.

169 Dover Rd. in Chichester or 263 South Main, Concord. NH Oil Undercoating...they do excellent work, and it will greatly lengthen the Camry's lifespan. It kept my F-350 un-corroded, and I plowed with that truck!

Picked up a 5 gallon pail of FF a couple years ago and use that. Once that runs out and/or I get something new(er) then I'll look into better options.

Problem is, it's not a cure-all. Last summer(?) I put a trailer hitch onto wife's Camry. That's always been sprayed down. Pulled out the tow hook thing in the back--and the bolts refused to go back in. No rust on the outside but all the threads were buggered up and I had to run a tap through before they'd go in.

That's where the Fluid Film cannot get.

I will say the shop in COncord does a MUCH better job than a DIY can, simply because they have the specialized equipment to get in all sorts of tight areas. (Offhand, they have long, thin sprayers to get INSIDE a framerail.)

Originally Posted by Malo83
My daily driver since new in June 83, currently 230K on the clock, bought it when i was still in the NAVY, still has the original block,heads and manifolds, keep her tuned and frequent oil changes. Daughters would kill me if i ever thought about selling, had some good offers, but my daughters, "[censored] hath no wrath"
shocked2.gif

Here my winter daily driver. A 1983 built 2 hours from me in Oshawa Ontario Canada. 230k miles also on the original 305. Synthetic oil changes since I bought it at around 160k miles. I'd be replacing the timing chain soon if I wasn't swapping a 5.3 GM truck engine in this spring hopefully.

IMG_20181201_172712.jpg

IMG_20180815_192215.jpg

IMG_20181201_172637.jpg

IMG_20181201_172724.jpg

Have two friends who use old cars. Tom's daily driver is a 1964 Chevy C10. Lou's daily drivers range from a 1983 GLC, to a 1976 Celica Liftback and a 1970 Datsun 521 depending on the task.

Yes garak, the rear taillights are from 86-90. The rear fenders have newer paint also so it was likely in a collision at some point. The front grill is the correct year but has markings underneath from a local wrecker so it may have been a rear end and front end collision. Luckily the car survived.

Also the instrument cluster has been replaced with one from a Pontiac wagon in South Carolina since my speedometer was acting up. The Pontiac cluster had 294k miles on it so we backed it up to the 222k miles to match mine (around 370,000kms) and the new cluster worked fine for about 6 months and started to bounce like the original one.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Yes garak, the rear taillights are from 86-90.

Good, my memory's not totally shot yet. We bought a brand new 1986 Caprice for taxi in the day, and I was sure that was the first year for those tail lights. Bouncing speedometers were something I learned to live with. Even my darned LTD had that problem. I replaced the cluster for next to nothing, and it came back a year later, maybe.

Yeah I am using my phone with a pop socket as a speedometer from now on. Amazingly the speedometer in my 84 cutlass works fine.. No idea how many miles on the speedometer but I put almost 100k on it in 10 years.

The '83 Caprice brings back good old memories, I had an '80 with the 305 and 3-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic with electronic lock-up. That 305 only produced 155 horsepower, but I loved hearing it run at high idle first thing in the morning, with its 4-barrel Rochester carburetor. The clicking/ticking each time you shifted into gear, and that exhaust rumble as it took off are all good memories.

Snapping chrome door handles on the outside, sunvisors that kept dropping down, inside door handles loosened over time, cracking dashboards, bouncy speedometers were all part of GM's "Mark of Excellence" at the time, but I still loved that car and the '79 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency that was in the family.

Never really understood why USDM versions had 85 MPH speedometers, whilst export vehicles got 200 km/h (125 MPH) speedometers. Were domestic version limited to 85 MPH? I know first hand export models were well capable of 200 km/h.

Federal law mandated 85MPH speedometers from 1979 to the early 80's.

This is Ford's Special Vehicle Operations thumbing their nose as the Feds...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back