Who has the oldest daily driver?

I was daily-ing p2 Volvos in the near 200k range, but that all changed when I bought the ‘18 f150 and I sold one p2 and gave the other to my daughter. for most commuting duty, however the Lexus with about 85k gets the nod. the Camry-sized sedan is right-sized, and the firm seats rather comfortable to my frame. Traffic here is getting more aggressive with many folks moving to this area, which may move me back into the truck for lower blood pressure.

i succumbed at some point to the “time” issue where something newer was needed to reduce nights spent repairing. I’m butt-in-seat around 0700 and often don’t get home until 7pm or later. i enjoy both vehicles very much, and sadly for this thread, don’t miss carburetors. The Lexus feels oddly very similar to a mid 80s celica to me… in so many ways, that it almost counts!?

m

4 Cheb I like the ones w/the stacked 2 square (actually longer rectangular I think) headlght each side ('80's? 90s?).
Ford (know better) the 6th gen F 250 series ('73/9) short bed, step side 4WD (w/2 18 inch 'race stripes' over the cntr.
1664935159953.jpeg

I think that's it, but U might have an aftr mrkt grill and lowered chassy.
C/K 3rd gen? late '80s "xxnose" ("bull"?).
Wish I could post what I DD ('70 bronk). Been at it since '82. Was my gen
contractor rig 1st, then a woods income vehicle till retiring (still did 30% on rd use).
Restored at retire, back to the rd but reverse stats now 70% rd, 30% off...

Since I'm retired I don't drive nearly as much these days but I drive my 92 Cavalier more than anything else I own. It gets good gas mileage and has been fairly reliable. 247,000 miles on it. My fiancé who does still work, daily drives a 94 Cavalier every day. About 168,000 miles on hers.

A 2003 model is not old, but I'm still adding 250 or 300 miles a day on my DD.
300 miles a day!? Jesus. You must a currier or something. And you’re close to hitting a million miles, I don’t think I’ve seen someone do that on this site. Impressive.

I just think it’s tough to see/find too many “old” daily drivers. Depending on where you live, the salt may have wiped most of them out. And with today’s longer commutes, due to housing costs around cities, it’s just a lot of miles daily commuters need to make. Add fuel prices and the chance you’ll break down...people probably aren’t going to be driving to work in a 40 year old vehicle. They may putt around in one...weekends, short commute and call it a daily, but realistically most aren’t going to be putting 15,000-25,000 miles on a 1989 Ford Taurus. IMO.

db:
av commute in hue hes hay is 1/2 hr no? (40 mi)
How did 15/25K mi/yr become the average? (10K range there - but I know it's a figure used by most).
(I just do the gas $ & here = 2, 3K$/yr depending on the yr. I think Ill go back, bet I can get the mi too as they're recorded).

Most the miles on the '70 bronk were in the woods (as income generator 38 yrs). Now w/retirement frm the forest'n restoration
( last 2 yrs) I DD it 30 mi/4 d/wk, -0- to 5 mi the other 3d/wk. 4, 5 X 2, 300 mi a yr trips (mountains, ocean, fam, friends, holidaze).
Like said - my choice is to get the fox LTD waggy slotted into DD as a bronk is not an ol man's DD rig (even w/the 5 speed) as its an
automatic, less than the 4.0L in the 'jeep', and 10 inch longer WB (I did put a softer spring in the bronk but...)

I just think it’s tough to see/find too many “old” daily drivers. Depending on where you live, the salt may have wiped most of them out. And with today’s longer commutes, due to housing costs around cities, it’s just a lot of miles daily commuters need to make. Add fuel prices and the chance you’ll break down...people probably aren’t going to be driving to work in a 40 year old vehicle. They may putt around in one...weekends, short commute and call it a daily, but realistically most aren’t going to be putting 15,000-25,000 miles on a 1989 Ford Taurus. IMO.
My fiancé puts 60 miles a day, five days a week on her 94 Cavalier and has since 2014 when she got it.

my bread'n butter is keepin 90's - '06/7 cars on the road as DD for many, many neighbors. The trucks are bout 5, 10 yrs older but folk need these things to get by. There R plenty locals who use the dealers, dont think abt it and get by fine too. A few of them come by (I am not in the hi traffic locations) and stick due to the relationship based service, wide variety of stuff I do, low price and percieved honesty (I think it's real). They talk often bout my '70 DD and the '85 waggy as both sit out front.

Some interesting replies here! Much love for older rides!

I can't compete with some, but my '00 Grand Cherokee does me just fine at 250k. Barely uses any oil, trans shifts like new, and everything still works. My only complain is fuel economy, so I plan to check out/purchase a smaller vehicle tomorrow evening.

I've had but a single breakdown over the 25k miles I've owned the truck: the engine idler pulley bearing locked up on the way to the cabin, smoking the belt in the process. I let her cool down and repaired her right there in the parking lot I coasted in to. Easy as pie with basic hand tools.

Just over 250,000 and pulling down 38-40mpg. Highest I ever saw was when I worked an hour away and could consistently see 42. I bought it right after I graduated high school in 2014 for my college commute and it’s still ticking along just as good as it was then. I plan to drive the wheels off of it and then put more on and do it again. View attachment 119774
Awesome. 4 speed stick?

I forgot. For a couple of years I DD’d a 93 jeep GC with the 4.0 and the rare-combo AW4. It had a mildly bent frame, 250k miles. I loved it, should have straightened the frame and rebuilt the driveline. The interior was super comfortable, controls were all great, and it was mostly easy to work on. It needed a quart of oil and coolant every week. i needed about $7k to rebuild it and make it a bit more reliable, but then windows started falling into the doors, surprise coolant “dumps” as gaskets and surprise parts were letting go, and I was missing work and having concerns with keeping musical gear in the car with the rash of window problems and just got fed up. But, I missed it a lot when I sold it, and my son cried…. and cried hard. Dumb move. But engine was shot, rear end was close to shot, AC and heater were inop, and big chunks of metal were in the trans pan. Oh and it needed a new steering box. Maybe it was the right move. If I found a really well-kept one, I could see myself buying one again. C4C took a lot of them off the road.

Not the oldest by far I'm sure, but my '96 Maxima is still doing 70 mile daily commute to work and back at 310K. I'm on borrowed time on the exhaust, it's starting to come apart in front of the muffler, big hole which makes it sound like one of those ricer cars, only thing I'm lacking is the 8" diameter chrome exhaust tip :). I just replaced the flexpipe in spring, but everything after that looks like it needs replaced.

Trubendz has a nice 304 exhaust for your Maxima :)

Although that kit is only the tubing, they used to have the complete exhaust, and maybe they'll still weld on the muffler if you buy it from them :unsure:

If not, you could still get a Borla muffler welded on somewhere

Certainly not the oldest in this thread, but my 1997 Explorer is pretty old for a daily driver/primary vehicle. It is driven 7 days a week and has over 236k miles on it. Not a single rip in the seats and runs/drives great. I and the previous owner have taken good care of it, but nothing really special. 25 years as a regular every day vehicle and still doing it well is pretty good to me.

While not a car, it is transportation....

Shay 5 has been steaming around Cass Scenic Railroad since 1905.

Never been off the property, still used every summer and fall...

Oldest daily driver huh? Well granny born in 1930, 92 years old now still drives to church every morning and various bingos as long as it ain’t snowing and driving doesn’t require headlights. You can tell it’s her since the direction blinker will be on for the entire trip. Also it appears from behind that the car is being driven by the headrest since at 5‘ on a good day she can barely see over the steering wheel. Parking in a lot is no problem - she takes the lines as just a suggestion. Give her unsolicited advice about her parking prowess and you are likely to get either the “pocketbook” swing or the cane poke. Tough old bird.

Back