Tacoma quest to 500,000 miles which oil?

My 06 Tacoma 4x4 V6 TRD Sport has 335,743 miles. Original engine and transmission. Goal 500,000 miles. Gentlemen we have the technology, we have the HM oil, (cue six million dollar man intro). From this day forward I will utilize Valvoline Maxlife HM oil to achieve the elusive 500,000 mile barrier. (Tacoma's sound barrier)

Of course I have to use up all my Quakerstate Full Synthetic and NAPA HM Full Synthetic stash first...BUT THEN... IT IS MAXLIFE HM OIL TO 500,000 BARRIER! God speed gentleman. I have miles to drive.
20231031_105017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$2.99 a qt that is a great price!

break//

North East. Toyota replaced the frame, have 2013 frame, new leaf springs, and new break lines. Protected by CRC Heavy Duty Marine spray. My frame looks new! Several under carriage washes after winter and re spray with CRC.

There are three camps here: those who think their particular off the shelf brand is best, those who think all oil is the same and saving a few bucks is the most important thing, and those who think boutique oils are worth it.

This thread is just going to be these three camps offering these three opinions over and over.

There are three camps here: those who think their particular off the shelf brand is best, those who think all oil is the same and saving a few bucks is the most important thing, and those who think boutique oils are worth it.

This thread is just going to be these three camps offering these three opinions over and over.
Yes, most likely. Possible fourth camp would be conduct oil analysis on used oil, let results decide best oil option. Not cost effective for me. I change every 5k. MaxLife HM offers best bang for buck with good additive package.

I used nothing but Super Tech dino in my previous Corolla that went 295K, and my current Corolla that has 438K and is still going, but I started using their full syn after dinos went away, and they became blends. I think the price of blends are too high, which makes full syn a better value. I can't see paying the prices they want for a blend...either way, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad oil...

Where do you live? Salted Winter roads are the detriment to Toyota's. They could care less what oil you use.

As already mentioned, ANY brand of vehicle will become a rusty corroded hulk, if sufficiently neglected in a highly corrosive environment. I live in an area that just loves to dump as much Salt and spray as much salt brine as they possibly can, all winter long. I have seen all brands become rusty junk when neglected.

That era of Tacoma had frames improperly made by Dana Corp. As a result they were more susceptible to rust. Toyota replaced frames, or bought the trucks back.

Toyota also won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp, for the improperly made frames.

Yes, most likely. Possible fourth camp would be conduct oil analysis on used oil, let results decide best oil option. Not cost effective for me. I change every 5k. MaxLife HM offers best bang for buck with good additive package.
A $30 spectrographic analysis won’t yield “the best oil option”.

Back