Tacoma quest to 500,000 miles which oil?

I used nothing but Super Tech dino in my previous Corolla that went 295K, and my current Corolla that has 438K and is still going, but I started using their full syn after dinos went away, and they became blends. I think the price of blends are too high, which makes full syn a better value. I can't see paying the prices they want for a blend...either way, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad oil...
Wow 438k miles that is awesome! I agree ST Full Synthetic HM and MaxLife cost per qt is best buy. Thanks for input.

As already mentioned, ANY brand of vehicle will become a rusty corroded hulk, if sufficiently neglected in a highly corrosive environment. I live in an area that just loves to dump as much Salt and spray as much salt brine as they possibly can, all winter long. I have seen all brands become rusty junk when neglected.

That era of Tacoma had frames improperly made by Dana Corp. As a result they were more susceptible to rust. Toyota replaced frames, or bought the trucks back.

Toyota also won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp, for the improperly made frames.
Yes, Toyota replaced my original frame with new 2013 frame, new leaf springs, and new break lines. Not sure who made the replacement frames. 10yrs later my replacement frame still looks new.

After each winter, several under carriage washes, then CRC Heavy Duty Marine spray. Frame has no rust, you would be hard pressed to find surface rust. No rust on body or door panels. Key is washing salt off after each winter strom and the prevent maintenance with CRC and Fluid Film.

My feeling is that with 5k changes, the type and brand of oil used is less important than it would be if you were going longer.

Also, unless you have existing oil leaks, a HM oil doesn't offer much benefit.

My feeling is that with 5k changes, the type and brand of oil used is less important than it would be if you were going longer.

Also, unless you have existing oil leaks, a HM oil doesn't offer much benefit.
Understood. I find it simpler to do the 5k OCI. Don't want to spend time and additional funds on oil testing. 5k OCI has been working for this vehicle engine.

Maxlife HM synthetic blend is $3.58 at qt when purchasing 12 qt box. HM oil will not harm my vehicle, and potentially good prevention as I approach 350,000 miles.

Grateful for the feedback. Thank you.

I've settled on 5k changes as well in everything I own as it's just easier to keep track by the odometer that way and I feel fine with using whatever oil I get on sale. In the past it's been lots of Chevron Supreme among others and lately it's been Kirkland brand synthetic.

I scored a few 6qt boxes of Havoline Longlife Full Synthetic (Chevron) at Wally World online several months ago, cost was $23 and change! I regret not buying more the price was insanely low for quality full synthetic oil. Price now is $28 for 6 qt box.

I’m at 160k with my 2011 tacoma.

The thought of continuing with the current regime of 2-3 major repairs per year for the foreseeable future is nauseating.

I’m sure the engine and transmission will be fine. It’s the rest of the truck that falls apart.

The driveline and serpentine accessory issues are the worst. Impossible to diagnose early so you just live with a a steadily increasing whining sound until it breaks enough to diagnose.

Live with a falling apart used vehicle or buy an outrageously priced replacement.

Maybe I just walk. Horses would be cheaper.

There are three camps here: those who think their particular off the shelf brand is best, those who think all oil is the same and saving a few bucks is the most important thing, and those who think boutique oils are worth it.

This thread is just going to be these three camps offering these three opinions over and over.
Very accurate. I used to be in the boutique oil camp, but many cars that hit 300k miles saw cheap bulk oil in drums (conventional oil) all their lives with 5k OCI, so I think it's more important for an engine's health to have 5k or shorter OCI with any low priced full synthetic oil.

The way I look at it, someday you're going to sell or junk that car, and then all the money you spent on boutique oils will be wasted money that should have gone into your savings account (but instead it's money that was wasted).

I’m at 160k with my 2011 tacoma.

The thought of continuing with the current regime of 2-3 major repairs per year for the foreseeable future is nauseating.

I’m sure the engine and transmission will be fine. It’s the rest of the truck that falls apart.

The driveline and serpentine accessory issues are the worst. Impossible to diagnose early so you just live with a a steadily increasing whining sound until it breaks enough to diagnose.

Live with a falling apart used vehicle or buy an outrageously priced replacement.

Maybe I just walk. Horses would be cheaper.
Ha ha yeah baby a horse!

My 15 is still a baby at 132K. I’ve used Amsoil most of its life. XL 5W30 5500-6500 oci and a few 10K runs on SS 0W30. I also use biotech once in a while.
IMG_1777.jpeg

I used nothing but Super Tech dino in my previous Corolla that went 295K, and my current Corolla that has 438K and is still going, but I started using their full syn after dinos went away, and they became blends. I think the price of blends are too high, which makes full syn a better value. I can't see paying the prices they want for a blend...either way, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad oil...

This right here. Regular consistent OCIs with an oil like Supertech will get you far.

It will tick (literally) all the way to 500k with whatever oil you choose. Unless the Dana curse strikes your frame or it gets totaled.

Past couple of years been averaging 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year. Current pace would take me 8.2 to 8.5 yrs. If my math is correct.
Especially with synthetic oil. Project Farm did a great comparison test and from that test, Penzoil Ultra and Amsoil came out on top with Amsoil has a negligible lead to win overall, minus price. But Project himself says he use Wally and/or Amazon oil, both made by Warren. I started out using M1 synthetic and graduated to EP tier until I got hooked onto Kirkland full synthetic also made by Warren because it is more than good enough and at great price, availability, and the black bottle looks very premium like the old Castro European spec oil. According to Project Farm, it is the same as Wally and Amazon and more than good enough and I change annually and don’t beat my vehicles.

If I was to buy a new vehicle today, I would either go for Penzoil Ultra, which is almost the same quality as Amsoil for half the final cost (no shipping) but my next car is likely higher performance unlike my Fit.

Back