Who has the biggest Stash? (Or 'stache)

I have more cooking oil in storage than motor oil...I just buy when i need a change.

I'm just lazy to look for deals...But if i found a great deal by chance...i would have no problem stocking up.

I don't want anymore than 2-OCI's per vehicle simply because oil specs change constantly. And, clearance/rebate oil really isn't anything special, unless the HDEO/Euro variety.
Changing constantly?
1996-2001 was SJ (5 years).
2001-2004 was SL (3 years).
2004-2010 was SM (6 years).
2010-2020 was SN (SN+ was in 2018) (10 years).
Now on SP.
All my vehicles can use SM, with a few being able to use SL and even SJ.

More than just API out there, and can include HTHS, brands, additives, grades, etc. My favorites aren't API/ILSAC so I don't get overstocked on kraptastic oil.

2 x 5L of Total Quartz 5W40
2 x 5L of Shell HX5 15W40
1 x 5L of Shell HX7 10W40
1 x 5L of Valvoline 20W50

But getting tired of the stash thing, i'll only buy as needed from now on.

I have been on this site for many years. I must say that I have saved a handsome sum of money over the years by paying attention to the sales/clearances that have been listed. I must admit that my first major score was 31 gallon containers of 30wt diesel oil for 1 cent apiece. Yup that was amazing. There is a certain feeling of accomplishment when a store clerk packs those bottles into various boxes and you load up your vehicle with the bounty. I used that oil up in 1 mowing season servicing and replacing engines in commercial mowers. I have bought various weights and brands in bulk at cut rate prices because of this site. I once walked in AutoZone and they had a bunch of M1 on clearance. I looked at the stock on hand and then talked to the store manager. I told him that I would take it all if he would give me a bulk price. He smiled and gave me an additional 50 cents off a quart. He said he was glad to clear the shelf space. He threw in a free case of old Valvoline 2 stroke oil and some floor mats!!
I do have a stash now but nothing amazing. My stash is an average of 15 gallons in various containers and weights. I service a lot of equipment during mowing season so I will go through quite a bit of oil quick. If my stash runs out then I have to buy oil at a regular price. I do deliver used oil to my friends who heat with oil burners. I did learn about Rockauto from this site but that is another story. Thanks BITOG!!

I've read not to subject your oil to temperature extremes so I keep around 20 quarts stored in my bedroom closet. My wife thinks it's very weird to do this. But then again she's not a motorhead like I am. o_O
Mines in the garage. Temps range from -20 to 100 depending on the season 🤷‍♂️

18x /5qt jugs Chevron 5w-30
6x /4qt jugs Shell Rotella T4-15w-40
1x /5qt jug Supertech 5w30 (bottom shelf)
1/3rd and 2/3rd jugs of leftover GTX 10w40 and Rotella 15w40 (bottom shelf)

I bought the 12pk of Chevron (and 3x of Rotella) on walmart.com for $9.95 each and $12.46 each respectively. I didn't get the whole shipment due to lack of packaging and leaking. I got 6 jugs (and 3 of Rotella) that arrived intact, or I should say intact enough. Raised holy hell and Walmart replaced the order and I got the 12+3 I originally expected intact. So when I do the math:

18 chevron
6 rotella

Chevron - $6.63 /5qt or $1.33/qt

Rotella - $6.23 /4qt gal or $1.56/qt

Not too shabby.

oilstash.jpg

I want to see a boutique stash not conventional, that's too easy.
When I had two dozen jugs (equivalent) of M1 AP (clearance) that’s as good as it will ever get for me …
So, have not even tapped my RGT or VME stock yet …

One 6 quart box of Havoline and 12 quarts of Kirkland. All in 0w20.

I've read not to subject your oil to temperature extremes
In an engine, many of us will have oils that go from negative temperatures up to 250º F. I doubt 40-100º F (typical range in someone's garage in most climates) won't hurt them.

At the moment, there's 4 x 5-quart bottles in the garage. One.... is full. The other three are leftover from changes (3/4 quart - Fusion uses 4-1/4 quarts, 1/2 quart - Accord uses 4-1/2 quarts). My car says 5-1/8 quarts so I dump a 5-quart bottle in and it's good.

Back