Who has a car that does not use oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2006 Dodge Caravan with the 3.8 engine doesn't seem to use any. Amazing because the Caravans are supposed to drink oil.

I overhauled my 84 Civic because the oil control rings failed and with visible smoke it would not pass California smog. After a very careful rebuild the level on the dipstick does not move between 10K oil changes with Red Line 0w-30 oil.

I was warned that Red Line oil was for racing and I'd have to change it every 3K miles or so. Turns out they were wrong and Red Line is a very good long interval street use engine oil.

The oil level on the dipstick of my V8 4Runner does not move between the same 10K intervals, same exact oil and lots of off road and heavy towing. At 150K+ miles everything looks good. A UOA is coming at the next change.

I don't see any consumption in my FXT, but other FA20 owners have suggested that fuel dilution is making up for the oil that is consumed!!!
8^O

My DI malibu with the 2.5L has never burn any oil since new with 17k on her now. I usually run 5-7K which is about 10-20% left on the OLM.

My current fleet in the sig. shows no change in oil level on the dipstick between roughly 5000 mile intervals. Of all prior vehicles: Ford, Honda, Chevy and Mercury, only 95 Honda Accord used to drop about half way between full and min. levels in 3000 mile OCIs.
I never had a vehicle that burned a quart or more in 1000 miles. That is why I don't buy manufacturers rate of acceptable oil consumption, because even the worst clunkers I had, with unknown maintenance history, never consumed that much oil.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I read all the stuff on here about oil consumption. I was wondering who has anything that does not consume/burn any oil.

The only car that doesn't consume oil is the one sitting in the junkyard rusting.

Now, in terms of having effectively no oil consumption, resulting in never needing a top-off:
- My daughter's 99 Cherokee 4.0 never needs any oil between 6k mile changes, might drop 1/8 of the way from the "full" to "add" marks. 175k miles on the car- 4.0s are just amazing.
- My 08 Ram never needs oil between 6k changes (maybe 1/16 of the "full-to-add" span on the stick)
- My 12 Challenger never needs oil between changes (no visible movement on dipstick).
- The 11 Grand Cherokee we just traded for a 2014 never showed movement on the stick. Don't know about the 2014 yet, but I sure like the 8-speed ZF a lot better than the 5-speed NAG1!

My '69 and '66 440s both typically take their oil down to the "add" mark after 2500-3000 miles. The '69 has the original bottom end with original pistons, rings, never re-bored or honed, about 160,000 miles total, heads re-worked 10 years ago. The '66 was built fresh in 2005 but with sorta-sloppy short-skirt pistons I wouldn't use again, has about 25,000 miles on the rebuild (a bit over 300k on the chassis). I consider that pretty typical for vintage big-bore V8s.

1 to 1-1/2 quarts in my 2002 Lincoln doing 4K OCI's. That was on Formula Shell Synthetic 5W-20 over 2 years.

Switched to VWB 5w-20 for one OCI and the usage went to hardly noticeable - maybe 4-8 oz. Say good bye to FSS.

Now on PP 5w-30 and the usage seems lower still. Don't notice any drop over 2K miles so far.

So while I've had no usage on this car, it has had higher usage before. It depends.

My 2.4 powered 06 Scion uses no measurable amount at 135k miles
My 86 Monte Carlo SS at 120k miles does due to valve seals, usually about a quart every 2k miles.

My car's engine oil level doesn't budge between oil changes (every 10k miles), except it might have during the first interval. I added a pint of oil after 3k miles but I'm not sure that oil was all consumed as the level was anybody's guess with the new oil.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Haha! Tesla owners probably do! Others with a combustion engine will always "use" oil. It's hard to get people to understand!
35.gif
35.gif

On here a car that doesn't use oil is a measure of life happiness. Your wife is divorcing you and your kids are in prison, but the car doesn't use a drop of oil! Hot dam, life is good.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Haha! Tesla owners probably do! Others with a combustion engine will always "use" oil. It's hard to get people to understand!
35.gif
35.gif

I wasn't totally joking about the idea that fuel making it into my oil makes up for whatever oil is consumed in combustion...there was a guy on the Forester driver's site who claimed his oil reading was slowly going UP over time, and the best theory posited to explain it was that he had horrible fuel dilution!! I don't remember if that was ever resolved, the guy claimed he was making readings at a consistent temperature and position of the car.
My oil had a really strong fuel smell the first few times I changed it, but it hasn't been so bad since then. I know that a detailer left my car idling for about an hour with the heat blasting to let the carpets dry around the time I started changing my oil, maybe that caused a spike in dilution?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
On here a car that doesn't use oil is a measure of life happiness. Your wife is divorcing you and your kids are in prison, but the car doesn't use a drop of oil! Hot dam, life is good.

Hey there, smart guy, you're totally wrong!!!
My wife is in prison and my kid went to court to be disowned from me.
Ha!!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
On here a car that doesn't use oil is a measure of life happiness.

You are correct, sir.

Wife’s 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.4 with 125k miles (200k km) on the clock doesn’t use a drop of oil in the 9,320 mile (15,000 km) OCI. That’s a great little car.

My Nissan on the other hand burns a quart every 3k miles (2dl/1000km). Not so great car...

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The Honda uses a half a qrt every 6K. The Tacoma none yet.

Have you changed the PCV in the Honda?

Mine was down about the same at about 150-175k until I changed mine, it's not using any since then.

My 2007 Ford Focus does not drop at 10K OCI. The Fusion uses about 4-5 OZ in 10K. Oil used, M1 0-20AFE.

By not using any oik I assume you mean that the level on the dipstick remains unchanged from the point of the oil change to the point of draining it. If the level changes in between OCIs but is still within the do not add markings, sorry it is using some oil, just not enough to have to add any.

With that said, between OCIs on my 2013 Elantra(5000 mile OCIs) and my 2012 Lincoln Hybrid (6000 mils OCIs) both remain at the top of the full level between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back