Which Tire?

The Hitrac doesn't have the 3-peak sign like the Quatrac does, if that is a consideration :unsure:

Is the General AW365 available in your size?

What size?

Not used in snow.... means I'd skip the all-weather tires and would have no need for peaky mountains all weather stuff

Do you drive it with a pulse, or like a zombie drone?

My vote is for the Continentals DWS06+ ... the S is only temporary!

Reactions: Pew
I don’t want a summer tire. it does get cold here at times and I don’t want “square” tires when the temp drops. It snows maybe twice a year, never much over 3-5 inches, but it does rain, and it can get pretty heavy at times. Hence the all season, just want quiet tires as well. The car is driven averag, wife’s not a hot rodder, but not a sloth, either.

If available in your size.
Nokian One or Nokian AW01 might be good also.
Yokohama Avid Ascent GT
Continental True Contact Tour.

Like others the CC2 is recommended by many.

Having to look for tires for my wife's KONA. Its AWD, and putting it through tire racks decision maker, Its giving me three choices:
Bridgestone Weatherpeak
Michelin Cross Climate
Vredestein Hitrac

Not looking at the Michelin, so that one is out. The car is not really used much in snowy weather, but rain and dry are 2nd only to noise of tire. Which one of the other two would you pick? The Bridgestone seems to get good reviews, but its a newer tire. Both are probably a bity noisier than a summer performance tire and whatnot, but anything has to be quieter than the goodyear Eagle Touring, which are the loudest tires I've ever had on a car. Other suggestions?
I put in 2021 Kona Ultimate AWD and Tirerack offered 104 options https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Hyundai&autoYear=2021&autoModel=Kona+AWD&autoModClar=Ultimate&width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=18&sortCode=53850&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&performance=ALL

Filtering category to grand touring all season drops it to 49 options https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...SpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&performance=ALL

Comparing the top 6 based on consumers highest rated gives https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Comp...=&sortCode=53850&rearSortCode=&tireIndex=null

The Michelin CC isn't the quietest although they are all fairly close. The CC is best in wet and dry both though. The Vredestein isn't tops in any category but does quite well in all and is a good bit less expensive. The Bridgestone is also top notch plus does much better than the rest in snow. You probably can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck figuring it out.

ETA All this is from 01:45 so I could be seeing anything and in the light of day you may see something else.

Last edited:
The Escape has Primacy A/S on it (not tour) they are also very good tires particularly in light of them being OE tires. They are quiet and have good wet and dry traction... bit nothing on the level of the PSAS4 - i do expect they will last longer.

I just ordered some Yokohoma Advan Sport A/S+.... because too many tires are on back order and these will be delivered next Monday to the local tire shop. Not my brand, but with 440 utqg and shouldn't last too long. Little surprised by how heavy they are compared to various others. With my current commute, hope that they'll last 9 months to a year. Avid Ascend GT were also an option but didn't want a longer lasting tire compound.

If they have the tire in your size, I'd look into the new Hankook EV tires. Not run flat tho, if that's an issue.
The way I see it, if quietness is your primary concern, these tire are designed for the quietness of an electric vehicle. Plus they have sturdy sidewalls to support extra weight. Also made in both passenger car and SUV "type" tires, whatever that is.

I plan on putting them on the already quiet Mercedes when it needs tires, if I can find an adequate solution that eliminates the run flat feature.
Only issue at this point is the Hankook is 235 instead of the OEM 245, so 10 more revolutions per mile. That shouldn't be a big deal.

Have to see if they go for some premium price though.

Run flat not an issue. But I do wonder what is different about EV tires over regular ones. If it is just noise, why not make them all quiet?

Run flat not an issue. But I do wonder what is different about EV tires over regular ones. If it is just noise, why not make them all quiet?

There's a lot of talk about EV tires - like they are so out of the ordinary. They aren't.

First, a bit of tire engineering: Tires are all about the compromise. Rolling resistance, traction (especially wet traction), and treadwear are part of a three way compromise - emphasize one at the sacrifice of the others. There's a number of ways to do that including different rubber compound, tread depth, tread width, etc.

But no matter how you slice it, there's a compromise.

Noise? Usually balanced against wet and snow traction.

Ride? Balanced against crisp handling.

So why the talk about EV tires? Marketing!!

The marketing department is always looking for something to talk about. Right now, it's EV's. A couple of years down the road, it will be something else.

But there is an exception to what I wrote above - HL tires. HL tires are a new category designed specifically for EV's - but even then, it's just another compromise, just disguised. HL tires have more load carrying capacity at the same pressure compared to regular Standard Load and Extra Load tires. They get that by taking advantage of the improvements made over the years by the tire manufacturers.

Put another way, HL tires sacrifice resistance to structural failure in order to get more load carrying capacity. No doubt the tire manufacturers will find a way to reduce that risk of structural failure, but that will take time.

HL tires have only started to enter the market. I don't think Tire Rack even lists any yet.

I have a 2023 Kona N-Line AWD (Canada). The Kona is one of the best (if not the best) handling of the sub-compact SUVs. As I traded in a Ford Focus ST, I obviously valued handling. So in the end, I went with the PSAS4s. Absolutely no regrets. I have a second set of Nokian Outpost APT that I use in snow/winter and light off-roading and get much better MPGs using the PSAS4s (no surprise). As others have pointed out, everything you've heard and read about the PSAS4 and its versatility as a performance tire in wide-ranging conditions are true. I'll leave it as that.

If you value ride/comfort and longevity, then the Michelin Primacy or Defenders are excellent options.

If you need a single all-weather set to use in light-moderate winter conditions, then yes the Michelin CC2+ OR the Nokian WRG4. Here in Metro Vancouver I see equal numbers of the CC2+ and WRG4.

As good as the CC2+ is, I think you need to be prepared for a not-so insignificant it to your MPG (L/100km). When I was shopping for tires, I've found this complaint here-there. I think this is the elephant in the room re the CC2+ no one really seems to be talking about a whole lot.

Last edited:
I just ordered some Yokohoma Advan Sport A/S+.... because too many tires are on back order and these will be delivered next Monday to the local tire shop. Not my brand, but with 440 utqg and shouldn't last too long. Little surprised by how heavy they are compared to various others. With my current commute, hope that they'll last 9 months to a year. Avid Ascend GT were also an option but didn't want a longer lasting tire compound.
I’d be interested to know how you find them to be. They might surprise you. I was a little hesitant to buy the Yokohama g015s I have now, but have come off rather surprised with how precise they are. Their smoothness at high speed and consistency, minimal weights needed - very well-made tire.

The special "quiet EV" tires have a foam rubber liner glued to the inside of the tread. Costs extra. Consumers are cheap.

I have a 2023 Kona N-Line AWD (Canada). The Kona is one of the best (if not the best) handling of the sub-compact SUVs. As I traded in a Ford Focus ST, I obviously valued handling. So in the end, I went with the PSAS4s. Absolutely no regrets. I have a second set of Nokian Outpost APT that I use in snow/winter and light off-roading and get much better MPGs using the PSAS4s (no surprise). As others have pointed out, everything you've heard and read about the PSAS4 and its versatility as a performance tire in wide-ranging conditions are true. I'll leave it as that.

If you value ride/comfort and longevity, then the Michelin Primacy or Defenders are excellent options.

If you need a single all-weather set to use in light-moderate winter conditions, then yes the Michelin CC2+ OR the Nokian WRG4. Here in Metro Vancouver I see equal numbers of the CC2+ and WRG4.

As good as the CC2+ is, I think you need to be prepared for a not-so insignificant it to your MPG (L/100km). When I was shopping for tires, I've found this complaint here-there. I think this is the elephant in the room re the CC2+ no one really seems to be talking about a whole lot.
How is the noise on these? Ride and comfort? I've had the primacy on my Tucson and quite frankly, they rode good and tracked good, but they were loud enough towards the end even the wife noticed it,. The conti LX25's I have on it now are dead quiet. No size for the KONA though, or woulda bought them again.

Back