Looking for tires for the Neon

I'm down to 4/32nds on the current Michelins and am looking for a replacement. It's been a while since ive shopped. Now that I'm commuting longer and working a job that i need to get to I've narrowed some choices feel free to throw in some others. No Chinese tires, as I don't trust them. Tire size is 185/60R15 I'm thinking
A) Bridgestone weatherpeak. Kinda pricey never had Bridgestone tires. $180/Tire with $40 rebate.
B) Vredsten Quatrac way more affordable at $117/ tire
C) General Altimax $114/ tire

I originally ran Pirellis but they didn't last. The current Michelin seem to be well made.

Thoughts?

Gotta know make, model and speed rating to access tires.

The Dunlop D60 A2 tires I got years ago, now discontinued, were grippy. They attracted punctures and wore fast.

The few Bridgestones Turanzas with Serenity I had were claimed to be super tires but were just OK.

The Cooper CS4's I got were so good I couldn't wait to get the CS5's which I'm running now.
I'd go for CS5's if I had to buy tires tomorrow.

If I wasn't married to regular, 4 hour Interstate trips, I'd consider the Douglas tire.

My wife's 2004 Accord has Vredsten Quatrac tires. They seem to be fine.

Gotta know make, model and speed rating to access tires.

The Dunlop D60 A2 tires I got years ago, now discontinued, were grippy. They attracted punctures and wore fast.

The few Bridgestones Turanzas with Serenity I had were claimed to be super tires but were just OK.

The Cooper CS4's I got were so good I couldn't wait to get the CS5's which I'm running now.
I'd go for CS5's if I had to buy tires tomorrow.

If I wasn't married to regular, 4 hour Interstate trips, I'd consider the Douglas tire.
Yes, back when dunlops were my go to. But they did wear fast if anything was out of line…

I am a fan of coopers, I have cs4 and cs5 in my fleet, and recently got their latest on my 350sd….

Douglas for $61. Why would you need anything more expensive on a Neon? It's not an SRT4 is it?

my new 190d needed tires and I was in Nevada, not much supply in the now obsolete size. Walmart in Henderson had them in my required size, made in usa, and I’ve been happy with them…. I’d recommend them for any vehicle that rides comfortably. Not sure if they would be too soft if you want a firmer tire and ride…

The prices that op cited sound awfully expensive for that size…

Not just because of the low cost of the Douglas that I’ve bought recently, but also the cooper endeavors that I’ve also bought recently in a larger size. Mounted, OTD…

Last edited:
Will they wear out or age out? and does NVH matter?

I’m a big fan of RT43, but, I generally will wear them out before aging out. And prefer the NVH I get. If aging out is a possibility, I might be tempted by the cheaper Douglas, if only to just try once.

Another option to consider is the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S. They’re cheap, perform well in wet weather and are long lasting. They’re not the quietest, so if that’s a priority for you I’d probably not recommend them.

On the opposite end of the price spectrum is the Michelin Defender. Almost always a good choice if it’s available in your size.

Personally I’d probably go with the Generals. I sold a crap ton of the RT43s and they just did everything very well.

A) Bridgestone weatherpeak. Kinda pricey never had Bridgestone tires. $180/Tire with $40 rebate.
pass on the weatherpeak, tires in your size should be no where near that price.

I'd be tempted to go cheap with something like the arizonian silver III at DT 62$

FALKEN SINCERA SN201 A/S at 77$​

or if more expensive they have the
CONTINENTALCONTROL CONTACT TOUR A/S PLUS
for 125$ each and 70 rebate. (install usually around 100$ all in at DT)

Last edited:
You know the Neon had its own spec race series?

They're good little cars and I'm upset that I didn't see the first gen for what they could be back when they were $500.

OP, I'd buy the Vredestein.
It's an sxt I wish it were an srt-4. Low mileage garaged ones are starting to appreciate.

The car has 128ish thousand miles, but with mediocre Chrysler quality I doubt I'll see 246,700 miles that I got out of my geo prizm. Keep in mind that I live in Colorado and can see -20 to 100f (-28.8 to 100c). I definitely don't plan on dropping $180 a tire but would like a quality tire. Does $60 a tire get you anything decent anymore?

I would go with the Nokian eNTRYE2.0 for $67 at walmart.com.
I'll see if Discount carries them. Walmart is out. My parents purchased tires from Walmart and every year had a blow out. Discount cured that, and they've never purchased at Walmart since. I was lied to at sams club years ago about the warranty when my parents purchased a set of tires for me. I think the Wally was getting Knock offs.

Does $60 a tire get you anything decent anymore?
I had entyres years ago and they seemed fine… but I would not expect much for $60, other than round and black, and maybe not actually ”round” at that.

Do you plan to run year round? or use snows in winter? the mire you expect (or need) of a tire, the more it costs.

I’ve recommended those Bridgestones to a very bad driver with a Prius. She said her car feels better. Anything is an improvement over LingLongs.

Michelin is axing 15” sizes these days so I’m starting to recommend alternatives outside of Costco that aren’t Chinese.

Back