Looking for tires for the Neon

Why not a new set of Michelins? I love the fact that you have a Neon. If only Chrysler could build something like that again that wasn't a clone of a European car.
Michelin only make the xice snow in that size... They ditch the smaller rim sizes quite quickly, but BF Goodrich is their discount brand and makes smaller rims sizes for a bit longer. Perhaps the BFG Advantage Control is just the same tire he ran before with a different logo?

There is a Dodge Neon still on the road?

I'd go with the Douglas tore, or maybe the better Goodyear Assurance that WalMart sells. Was going to get the Douglas when I saw a Black Friday sale on the Goodyears so I got the GoodYears instead.

Michelin only make the xice snow in that size... They ditch the smaller rim sizes quite quickly, but BF Goodrich is their discount brand and makes smaller rims sizes for a bit longer. Perhaps the BFG Advantage Control is just the same tire he ran before with a different logo?

Michelin does make the Agilis CrossClimate in the OP's size 185/60-15

I had a Neon, pretty much anything will do. I ran Walmart Douglas's and got way past the expected tread life, it's a pretty light car.

Considering the newest Neon on the road is creeping up on 18 years old now, pretty much any tire is better than what it would have originally came with.

What about a set of Mastercraft's? They're about $75 a pop for the Stratus A/S in your size from Walmart. They're made by Cooper, so they're not a Chinese tire. I had a set of Mastercraft SRT Touring on my old beater Talon and I thought they were a pretty darn good tire for the money.

I had a 2003 Neon, the original owner beat the hell out of it, I was not easy on the car myself.

They are actually reliable cars, people will claim the automatic transmissions are junk but they aren't the problem is the solenoid pack on top of the transmission commonly goes out and it is almost always misdiagnosed as a bad transmission when in reality it is a $150 part and 20 minute job, the worst part of the job is cleaning the area prior to removal.
Mine was a junker, everything from solenoids to band adjustments etc had been done on the trans and it would still slam into gear every time going from reverse. Fuel pump died around 30k. After the dealer replaced the engine because of a severe head gasket failure I traded it in. Only had around 40k mi on it.

It was a cool fun little car though when it ran right, they seem pretty popular still at the local dirt track.

Last edited:
Mine was a junker, everything from solenoids to band adjustments etc had been done on the trans and it would still slam into gear every time going from reverse. Fuel pump died around 30k. After the dealer replaced the engine because of a severe head gasket failure I traded it in. Only had around 40k mi on it.

It was a cool fun little car though when it ran right, they seem pretty popular still at the local dirt track.
The 40TE/41TE transmission does not have bands to adjust. So you had a 31TH, I assume a 1st generation Neon which were prone to head gasket failures.

The 40TE/41TE transmission does not have bands to adjust. So you had a 31TH, I assume a 1st generation Neon which were prone to head gasket failures.
Like the other commenter stated, they did until around 2002. Beginning of the second gen was a funky weird mix of first gen parts still being used.

Head gaskets were still in issue into the 2000's, my MIL drives an '03 still and it had to have a hg replacement early in it's life

Last edited:
OP, perhaps give these a try? I put a pair on the front of the 190d on 03/09/23. (In the oe 175/70/14, but they were within a few dollars of your size) even though they are about as inexpensive as you can get, I'm thoroughly impressed with them so far.

Last edited:
I had a Neon, pretty much anything will do. I ran Walmart Douglas's and got way past the expected tread life, it's a pretty light car.

Considering the newest Neon on the road is creeping up on 18 years old now, pretty much any tire is better than what it would have originally came with.
Chrysler was really fond of the Goodyear Integrity/Invicta GL/Eagle GA and LS as OE tires back then. Tires have advanced since then but the OEs weigh NVH and rolling resistance into the equation amongst other things.

I'm stopping in at Discount Tire on my way home this morning. I'll see what they have. And yes so far it's been "reliable " other than the #4 spark plug ejecting itself and taking the threads with and the $1100 That I spent last August when the wiring harness rubbed and shorted the fuel pump. Now it has a slight odd almost shake at start up and the rough idle when warmed up has never gone away.

Back