Tires for my CR-V (P225/65R17)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I saw a set of the Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires at Sam's last night. They were going on a BMW X5. I really like those tires after getting a close-up look at them. It looks like I can get them for $168 each through Sam's. Not cheap, but still doable. What I like about them is they're not over 30 pounds like some other tires in this size and they should give a smooth ride. Also, my wife is not comfortable buying tires from other than Sam's anymore, with the fantastic service they've given us.

Goodyear has an $80 MIR on the ComforTred Tourings right now, and though the end of July, but I doubt I'll be ready to purchase by then. I reckon I'll wait until the NEXT MIR offer, hopefully sometime this winter.

Congrats, Sounds like it is working out for you.

Peace of mind is very important.

Again Congrats and Keep Us Posted, Jim

I thought of something else last night. To begin, our CR-V has Honda's "Real Time 4WD" system. From my understanding, the rear end unit has two mechanical fluid pumps in it, and when the speed of the forward pump (driven by the spinning propeller shaft coming from the transmission) is equal to the speed of the rear pump (driven by the half shafts from the rear tires), the clutches remain not engaged, and it's FWD only. But when there is a speed difference, the clutches will engage and power will be sent to the rear tires.

Okay, now. When we bought the car, the tires were massively overinflated, and two of the tires have 7/32" in the outer two tread grooves, and 4-5/32" in the inner two tread grooves. The other two seem to have worn evenly, and have about 7-8/32" all the way across. I have since reset all tire pressures to placard spec (30psi) and have put the two thicker ones on the front to try and wear them down faster. I know the conventional wisdom is to have the best two in the rear, but since the worst two still have thick tread out near the sidewalls, I think I'm okay.

But my question is relating to rolling circumference. Given the AWD nature of this vehicle, and the conventional rule of always maintaining equal tire circumferences on these types of vehicles, am I out of compliance now? I don't think there's too great a difference between the front and rear, and the way I'm trying to wear them now, the difference in circumference should only get smaller.

What do you all think? What has the greatest effect on tire circumference as it rolls down the road, tread depth at the center of the tire or tread depth near the shoulders? I imagine that now that I have proper inflation in the tires, the shoulder tread depth is most influential.

Thanks.

Well, every AWD system will allow some slip before engaging. In the Honda in particular, there needs to be a pressure differential and all evidence I've ever read would indicate it needs to be pretty high before lockup will occur. In fact, the CRV doesn't even come with a full size spare and unlike the S2000 there are no instructions to move the compact spare to a specific position. I think the idea that having same size different wear tires having a large enough difference in circumference to continuously engage the AWD system on a CRV and damage it is a no-go simply by the evidence you'll see walking around any parking lot or talking to Honda technicians.

Of course, this is limited to this specific AWD system. Obviously Subaru's system is different and this logic doesn't apply.

As to tires, it's hard to argue with Sams, at least by me. The service is fantastic and the road hazzard warranty is better than anyone elses (cough... tirerack... cough) since you can just bring it in and they take care of it. Unfortunately, in my size I'm not really blow away by the BFG Long Trail Tour, and don't want to spring for Michelins. Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply. I know with some AWD systems (and I am thinking about Subaru in particular), you've got to have the tire diameters very close to the same. You are right: the donut spare on the CR-V is smaller than the other tires, so that would present a problem, if there was a problem to present. It sounds like there's not.

Off topic, Sam's carries (and stocks) the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour in my size, but I didn't like them on our Acura. I tried them and took them back 500 miles later. Sam's was great about it; credited me my full amount and I upgraded to Michelins on that one. Curiously, the CR-V already has Michelins on it, but I'm not happy with how fast they've worn (based on miles the car had when the tires must have been installed), so I won't buy them again. My other choices from Sam's are few, but my wife insists on Sam's Club (and I tend to agree). Right now, it's looking like the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, but it's a special order tire.

The Tourings do have some road noise on my Accord. here's how I rank the Noise factor on the tires I have run,best to worst. 1. Regular Gacts..2. Primacys..3.Gact tourings..4. Destiny/Harmony. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input on road noise. Of those, the ComforTred Touring is the only one available. I'd get the Primacy MXV4 no questions asked, if it were available in my size. But I think GY's new ComforTred Touring is a very good tire.

The tourings do handle well and seem to get good mpg. Keep up with the required rotations so you can get a prorate if they don't last the warranty period.

Well, I have found that the two Cross Terrains that are low on tread in the center of the tire tend to aquaplane pretty dadgum easily. They feel squirrely through fast puddles. So my tire search has hastened.

I believe I've zeroed-in on the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A from Sears. The 225/65R17 size is new for this tire model, and Sam's Club doesn't yet show it on their website. Tire Rack shows it, but it's not availble until the middle of August. Sears also shows it as "not available for shipping". But it looks like I'll likely buy it through Sears once it's available. It comes with a good price and pretty uniformly positive reviews. It also has a 75,000 mile warranty in the T speed rating. So I plan to give it a try.

Until I can get it, I'll be tip-toeing around on wet roads. Actually, as long as speeds are below about 50 mph, it's not too much of an issue. But above that, these shallow Cross Terrains aquaplane on suprisingly thin sheets of water. The Advantage T/As get universal praise for their wet traction and aquaplane resistance, so that'll be an improvement.

I have those tires on the Accord. I bought them from the Sams website and had them shipped to Sams. They actually had them in H and V speeds in my size.

They are good tires. They have very wide channels for water, so I doubt hydroplaing will be an issue. They are about average in snow. That's probably the only thing that would keep me from buying them for our Highlander, but I will probably buy them again for the Accord.

They are only 10/32nds, so compared to "truck" tires you are loosing a bit there.

EDIT: Now I look at the site and they have 11.5/32nds. Maybe I would buy them for the HL but they come in 225/65 and not 225/70. Though they have average snow traction, the sipes go almost the full depth so compared to a lot of other tires the traction should not fade as quickly, at least my thinking when I bought them. That's in stark contrast to the Long Trail Tours which look bald when they're half worn since the siping only goes 3/32nd's deep. I've only had them 20,000 miles so I don't have enough worn off to comment on that.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review of those tires. Yes, in this size, they have 11.5/32" of tread. I'm not too concerned about snow traction per se, at least not deep snow. We drive infrequently in the snow and my prior car, a Camry with Michelin Energy MXV4s, was sufficient for what we get down here (as much ice as snow really). So I figure that near anything I put on an AWD CR-V will easily get the job done, in terms of snow performance.

I hope Sam's starts carrying this size soon, as I'd like to buy from Sam's.

Reviving this old thread.

After months and months of going back and forth, I have decided on the Michelin Latitude Tours, in the correct size and service description of 225/65R17 102T. My initial hesitation was that Tire Rack's database indicated that they were made in either China or France, and I didn't want Chinese tires. So I called Michelin this morning and the CS rep said that they do not make any tires in China for the American market, but that this particular size is indeed made in France.

Sam's Club has a $70 instant rebate on Michelin tires beginning on February 3rd, and going through the 7th. Short time window. I'll report back when I get 'em mounted up.

Wonder if the General Grabber HTS comes in your size.
I have maybe 30k on a set on a small SUV (RAV) and its a bargain compared to the Michelin I had previously. Wet road traction & noise improvement. Lots of tread left - don't look close to half worn yet, not even close.

It is available in this size.

I'm listening to my wife here. She reminds me that on the few times I've bought a tire other than Michelin, I haven't been happy with at least one aspect of it. And she is right. So I stick to what I know...or try to. I sometimes try to stray, but she keeps me in line. Ha ha.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So I called Michelin this morning and the CS rep said that they do not make any tires in China for the American market, but that this particular size is indeed made in France.

Interesting since most people dont look. Wonder if there is a quality issue or concern with there being an issue.

Will be interesting also to verify. Wonder if some of the lower-end tires (as well as wal-mart michelins) are made in china, or if it is indeed accurate.

I haven't seen another size indicated by Tire Rack's database as being made in China. Michelin doesn't have any Walmart-specific tires at the moment, and the ones sold at Walmart are made along-side the normal production facility. I've owned a bunch of tires from Michelin and all have been made on this continent somewhere, either in the United States or in Canada. This will be my first European Michelin.

Here's my suspicion. This particular model, size, and service description (basically, this Michelin part number) is an OEM tire on a car sold in China. I'm not sure what that is, and the guy at Michelin didn't have that information at hand. Maybe it's the Honda CR-V sold over there. Or maybe it's the Chevy Equinox, if it's sold there. He said that if the tire is made there, it'd be intended for the Chinese market. He didn't say that this part number wasn't made there, but that any tire of this part number sold in the American market comes from France.

This is similar to another poster a few months ago asking Hankook I think it was about Chinese production. Or maybe it was Kumho. I think the answer was that the ones destined for the American market are made in Korea. I don't recall the specifics, but it was somthing like that.

I did tell the Michelin guy that they may wish to contact Tire Rack about it, because it does indicate either CH or FR in their database.

I got the Michelins mounted yesterday. I went to Sam's to order them but they were out of stock. None in the warehouse, none in their system. They called Michelin and I guess they didn't have any either. So no luck there. Tire Rack's status is "Back ordered" and Discount Tire didn't even show this tire on their website.

Sears didn't show anything on their website either, but I know they can sometimes order tires they don't have on their website, so I called them. They happened to have four in stock. So I drove straight over there and had them installed. I got the four new tires, four new TPMS rebuild kits (at least one was leaking), lifetime rotation and balancing, out the door with tax for $855. They wanted $210/ea for the tires, but they matched the Sam's price of $179/tire and also half-way matched the $70 instant rebate at Sam's on a set of four. I didn't get the $70 as an instant savings, but they did give me a $70 Sears gift card instead, which I thought was a good gesture.

The tires are superb. Unlike the picture of the Latitude Tour on Michelin's website, these have a very rounded shoulder profile and a pretty mild tread pattern. They look exactly like the picture of the Latitude Tour HP. They have a very car-like ride and the reduction in road noise is very nice. You can still hear some road noise on chipped/grainy pavement, but it's at a much lower pitch, so it's much less intrusive in the cabin. Noise on smooth pavement is reduced to absolutely nothing. The ride is also much improved. It feels a hair firmer on most surfaces (I have more feel), but the harshness of sharper impacts like railroad crossings has been taken away. It's like getting the best of both worlds.

So far, I'm highly impressed with these tires. I just hope I don't need to prematurely replace one, because they appear to be hard to find, at least in the 102T versions. I could have bought the 100T versions (OE on the Chevy Equinox) all day long, but the 102Ts were more scarce.

I also wanted to say that I'm 100% satisfied with the tire department at Sears, or at least at my local Sears. This is the second set of tires I've bought at Sears. They were honest and professional, quick, and the job was done right. The counter folks were friendly and I left with a handshake. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

With a price match to Sam's Club, it's nearly the same service for the same price. The only think I don't get at Sears is road hazard protection build into the price. Sam's will repair any member's flat tire, regardless of where it was purchased. So I still have flat repair...the only thing I'm on my own for is tire replacement if I happen to get a sidewall puncture.

Anyway, Sears was a great experience yesterday. Thought I'd share, especially in the light of their recent financial issues and corporate re-structuring.

Here are some pictures. You can see that they have a nicely rounded shoulder profile for progressive handling at the limit. They also have open shoulder blocks for good water and snow evacuation. Interestingly, these carry a few ECE designations, for use in Europe, and one of them is a -S designation, for sound. These tires pass some sort of European pass-by sound regulations. I don't know how hard that reg is to pass, but this is the first tire I've owned with that certification on it.

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6636.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back