Which Schaeffers ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Scott in WI:
I've read in a number of places that "true" synthetics use very little (if any) VII's for XW-30 viscosities. IF this is the case wouldn't we be better off using using the lowest viscosity "true" synthetic?

I have heard that as well, and I think it was true in the past, but not quite so much now. I seem to recall when I first started using Mobil 1 (and Amsoil for that matter) that they claimed they had ZERO VI improvers in their 5w30 and 10w30 oils. I don't believe this is true now, I think the 5w30s have a bit more than they'd like us to believe. I base this on the fact that I too have seen a lot of 5w30 oil analysis reports where it has thinned out to 5w20. I've seen it happen with Mobil 1 as quickly as 2300 miles!
frown.gif

VaderSS, Bror. It comes in 5 Gal containers (Plastic w pour spout) I ordered it credit card and it was 80 some dollars. I just don't remember the exact price
shocked.gif
. When it was delivered the paperwork was not with the container. I guess the distributer forgot to leave it there. I did a quick mental check when I ordered to make sure the price was not outrageous. I thiunk it was in the $4.50 range/qt. It is SJ but does not have the official API "donut". There could be a warranty issue if I foolish tell the dealer in case of problem. (I have lots of Mobil 1 receipts
cheers.gif
)

Synthetic oils use less VI in a given weight than their dead dino cousins (although that line of distinction is getting blurred with the smears of Group II, II+ and III oils) but they still need to use some in most weights.

As far as I know, 10W30 uses less VI than almost any other weight (on average) and with some synths, this is none at all.
smile.gif

5W30, 5W40 & 5W50 still need to use VI, however, because their six, eight and ten fold spreads are too much for even the multi-viscosity-like synthetic (Group IV & V) base oils to compensate for.

Update on Shaeffers #156 Moly Pure Synthetic . Cost was $88.35 for 5Gal pail. Works out to $4.42/qt.

[ July 05, 2002, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back