Should I switch over to synthetic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2001 435hp SS Camaro(all aluminum LS1). Changed the oil at 500 miles to Chevron Supreme, now it has a total of 1750 miles on the engine. Just got a case of Schaeffer 10W30 Blend to go in it but wonder if I should put more miles on before the switch to synthetic?

Thanks in advance

As you probably know the Corvette LS1 comes straight from the factory with Mobil 1 Synthetic and as of Oct 01 all LS1 F-Body's did too. I changed my 02 SS's factory Mobil 1 at 500, 1500 and 3000 with Mobil 1 and it is running fine. Go ahead and switch anytime
grin.gif

I would go to 3k and keep a check on the oil consumptiion. If no consumption, then you could switch to the blend.

Exactly right Patman. This engine has yet to show any signs of consumption, keep in mind it only has 1750 miles. Thanks guys- As you can see this car is rarely driven. To your point Molakule- If I wait until 3000 miles before switching to synthetic, that will be a long, long time. Thanks for the feedback, still undecided though?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I would go to 3k and keep a check on the oil consumptiion. If no consumption, then you could switch to the blend.

Problem is, in a lot of cases the LS1s just keep on consuming oil, so you never know for sure when it's fully broken in or not.

If you can find a long uphill grade road to run the motor from say 3k rpm to 1k less than redline and then let off the loud pedal back to 2500 or 3k and repeat 5 times your rings will seat. Then change oil. I usually do this at 300 miles on a rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back