Which paper filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I mean Paper. not worried about K&N or anything else. Napa, Fram, Purolator, etc. Who prefers what? Is there a lot of difference? Evidence?
Thanks!

I just replaced the STP in my truck with a Purolator Premium Plus, old white box. The STP seemed to be better made, maybe more pleats and uniformly spaced. The PPP was all crammed together on one side and wide spread other places. Nothing I have seen here would stop me from buying an AC if anybody carried them anymore, both the oil and air filters.

Napa Gold (Wix). I've switched two cars over from Purolator to NG filters, and the Napa Golds look & feel better constructed, with many more pleats & media.

If it's not available retail, I'd get it from a dealership. Or maybe mail order. Especially for an air filter that is not changed often. I do it for my oil filters too, but I buy a few at a time.

I have seen AC oil filters at quite a few places, Pep Boys, Murrays and AutoZone to name a few. The air filters seem to be less available. I know Murray's used to have a good selection.

[ September 05, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

Baldwin paper filter.

-

I use Napa gold, my main reasons are availability and great fitment. They even stock the filter for my wifes 1991 Mercedes 300E. The quality on the Napa gold's seem very good to me, I feel they are OEM quality (based on visual inspection and fitment).

i use baldwin..very good and solid construction BUT for every car make, it changes design, mine is made in isreal.

-

-

baldwin left, fram right...
 -

pretty solid....but here is what u do...buy a bunch of filters and compare and contrast...some have more pleats, some ha ve less, some has crappy construction.

but it took me 3 months to find a nice filter for my car....haha i had alot of opinions from this site...very help full
worshippy.gif

i tried fram and penz...they are crap now...havent tried the rest

My recent experience strongly suggests to me that it's almost useless to make general assumptions about a brand of *air* filter. Instead, pick the model(s) that fit your application(s), & compare by removing from the box, looking at construction, counting pleats, etc. From what's easily available locally, size to fit 95-99 Neons, Fram is the only thing that looks obviously different, with the plus that it has more pleats. Wix(2 diff pn's!), Purolator, STP, Partsmaster(house brand), & at least one other house brand, all looked identical to me.
frown.gif

[ October 14, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back