Which oil would you recommend for 5w20 & 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion...

Go for the American companies, such as: Amalie (Amaliestore.com), Mobil, Valvoline, Motorcraft (Conoco Phillips), Chevron, etc..
They are all great oils. No need to use foreign companies, ie: pennzoil, quaker state, castrol, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
My opinion...

Go for the American companies, such as: Amalie (Amaliestore.com), Mobil, Valvoline, Motorcraft (Conoco Phillips), Chevron, etc..
They are all great oils. No need to use foreign companies, ie: pennzoil, quaker state, castrol, etc...

Don't Forget Wolf's Head!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Valvoline 0w20 for the ford and ??? for the 5w30.
QSGB is a paradigm of modern motor oil,though Connoco ford is a bit slick-rier at lugging rpms. M1 is not synthetic why pay the $$$.

M1 is not synthetic. Please explain. Thanks

Thank you all very much for your inputs! After reading the comments, I actually have more question to ask.
One of the opinion is to use 5w30 for both. But my Edge manual says to use 5w20 thats why I use 0w20. So an engine that calls for xW20 can actually use a XW30? The other question would be why M1 is not synthetic? Was it because it was not 100% synthetic? Again thank you all very much for the recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Tom777
Thank you all very much for your inputs! After reading the comments, I actually have more question to ask.
One of the opinion is to use 5w30 for both. But my Edge manual says to use 5w20 thats why I use 0w20. So an engine that calls for xW20 can actually use a XW30? The other question would be why M1 is not synthetic? Was it because it was not 100% synthetic? Again thank you all very much for the recommendations.

While you might be okay using 5W30 on the Ford, since it only has 9k miles I'd use whatever the manufacturer specs 0W20 or 5W20 until the warranty runs out. Though there really aren't cases of people being denied warranties for using the wrong oil, since it costs the same it's better to use what they say. They're the ones who spend big $$$ on R&D so they probably know some things. Plus unless you plan to buy in bulk (5 gallon pails, 55 gallon drums), you're not saving any money using the 5W30 on both cars.

As for some claiming Mobil 1 isn't synthetic, Castrol in the early 2000s started using group III oils and calling them synthetic. Since there is no legal definition for what a true synthetic has to contain in the US, they got away with it. Group IV and V oils are considered to be true synthetics since their base stocks are manufactured in labs (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). So now Mobil, Pennzoil and company use group III and group III+ base stocks to do the exact same thing as true synthetics for a lower cost to them and the end user. Remember they have some group IV and V in them, they just don't use them as base stocks. So technically while readily available synthetics on the market are not started from a fully synthetic base stock, the properties they contain meet or exceed what true synthetics can do in most applications and you would never know the difference.

What engine is in the RX350? If it's that older 3.0, I'd highly recommend Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra if you can get it for the sake of keeping it clean, and stick to a strict 3000 mile OCI to it if it were me, those engines were notorious sludge monsters. The O/F isn't a whole lot of fun to change on one either, especially when hot!

As far as the Ford goes, there's no harm in sticking with the M1, those engines are easy on oil as others have said. It ultimately (for me, anyway) depends on if a guy plans to keep the car or trade it off in a few years on something else? If that's the case, run whatever conventional oil's on sale and don't worry about it. If you plan to keep it for several years, run the good stuff in it and sleep even better at night!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I's just run 5W-30 in both ...

Yep x3....the 3.5L in the turbo version uses 5w30 [insert shearing discussion here] so the oiling system will be fine with a 30 weight.

Lots of oils will exceed your requirements; what are you and your wife's driving habits?

Just an update. I did the oil change on the RX 350 using M1 5w30 EP and the oil filter housing is incredibly hard to loose I end up using a breaker bar to get the job done. I can tell the quick lube didnt change the filter, the rubber gaskets are all deteriorated and there are small amount of sludges found in the filter housing. My inlaw told me the car got oil and filter change only 3 months ago at a local quick lube. Thats why I never get my oil change at the quick lube. Do you guys recommend putting any oil additive to flush the engine or just change another oil around 3~4k? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: dubber09
IMHO, if you see some sludge, do oil and filter change in 1-2K and then back to regular OCI.

I agree. Maybe twice even. Using Cheapest oil you can find. Example Supertech would do just fine to flush out the sludge for one or two quick changes. Then back to regular OCI with whatever oil you decide on. Supertech even would be fine. Of course you may already have an oil picked out to use so use that after one or two quick changes to flush out sludge.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Valvoline 0w20 for the ford and ??? for the 5w30.
QSGB is a paradigm of modern motor oil,though Connoco ford is a bit slick-rier at lugging rpms. M1 is not synthetic why pay the $$$.

Good lord.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider

This

Agreed!

The 3.5 Ecoboost runs just fine on 5w30, so the NA version should have no issues with it since they have the same oiling system.

That said, the MC, if you're going to get it, should work well in both vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: barkingspider

This

Agreed!

The 3.5 Ecoboost runs just fine on 5w30, so the NA version should have no issues with it since they have the same oiling system.

That said, the MC, if you're going to get it, should work well in both vehicles.

Thanks! I got a 3.5 L Duratec not ecoboost. 2015 edge only have 2.7 and 2.0 ecoboost. I prefer reliability over performance so I chose the good old v6.

Thanks for your sugesstion! i will takle the other issue first and let it run about 2k and change it again.

Thanks for the input. I may do one around 2k after i finished other issues. It turns out the quick lube also "did" the power steering and transmission fluid change. Steering wheel its now very hard to turn with some whinning noise and transmission is shifting funny. Its a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back