Which oil would you recommend for 5w20 & 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Which oil would you recommend on the following vehicles: Ford Edge with 3.5L Duratec that requires 5w20 and Lexus RX 350 that calls for 5w30.

I currently use Mobile1 0w20 for my Edge. The RX350 is my in laws' vehicle that do oil changes in quick lube so I dont know what they use and I offer to start doing the oil change for this car instead of letting quick lube throwing random oil in the Lexus. Thanks in advance!

Todays major brand oils are all so good that it wouldn't matter. Pick one.

You can't go wrong with Motorcraft synthetic blend in 5w20 for a Ford product. It's very good yet cheap and easy to get.

you don't say how many miles are driven in a given time period, or what OCI you prefer - but certainly Mobil 1 is a great choice - as is almost any oil. Personally, I run a lot of Pennzoil Platinum the last few years since Pennzoil has been running $10 rebates on the 5 qt jugs. In my garage there is a lot of PP, M1, and Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You can't go wrong with Motorcraft synthetic blend in 5w20 for a Ford product. It's very good yet cheap and easy to get.

I agree it is a fine oil. The only thing is I never see it cheap so I use fs instead.
MC tends to be priced at a premium here.

Agree, and motor craft also sells a great quality 5W-30 that's inexpensive. 5 quarts for about $20 or less.

Tom777, how do you feel about extended oil change intervals?

Wow, got several replys already thank you all very much!

Hey Tomcat27,
Thanks!
My Edge has around 9k miles and my in laws' RX350 has around 69k. OCI for my edge is 5k or 6 months. The RX350 was brought to quick lube whenever they remember and I plan to have it done with them same interval on my edge. I havent deal with any Japanese car before, not sure this is true but I heard Toyota 3.5 L engine tend to get oil sludges so I am planing on changing the oil and filter again after 2.5k just to "flush" out some sludges just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Agree, and motor craft also sells a great quality 5W-30 that's inexpensive. 5 quarts for about $20 or less.

Tom777, how do you feel about extended oil change intervals?

Hey thanks for the input. I try to do it every 5k or 6 months. I know is old school but its easier for me to remember. Lol

Originally Posted By: Tom777
Which oil would you recommend on the following vehicles: Ford Edge with 3.5L Duratec that requires 5w20 and Lexus RX 350 that calls for 5w30.

Whatever Mobil or Pennzoil or Quaker State "jug" that Walmart has on sale (reduced in price). If you're looking for specific purposes:

- M1 Advanced Fuel Economy supposedly improves your MPGs (though a better way to improve MPG is simply slow to 55).
- M1 Extended Performance has the best additives/protectants.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: Tom777

Whatever Mobil or Pennzoil or Quaker State "jug" that Walmart has on sale (reduced in price). If you're looking for specific purposes:

- M1 Advanced Fuel Economy supposedly improves your MPGs (though a better way to improve MPG is simply slow to 55).
- M1 Extended Performance has the best additives/protectants.

I had a 96 4 cyl Tacoma using M1 , M1ep and AFE M1 never noticed any mpg difference using the gallons/miles manual method.

Valvoline 0w20 for the ford and ??? for the 5w30.
QSGB is a paradigm of modern motor oil,though Connoco ford is a bit slick-rier at lugging rpms. M1 is not synthetic why pay the $$$.

Realistically, I'd think Motorcraft 5w30 or Pennzoil Gold 5w30 would work great in both of those engines. If you want to stick with spec'd oils for both, then 5w20 of either of the above in the Edge.

Any name brand OTC synthetic at WM in the correct grade would be an excellent choice. Having said that I am a Pennzoil guy myself.

switched from amsoil as they WILL NOT say what base oils are used, prolly almost if not all group III fake syntheic like most other brands. using mobil I extended performance 10-30 in my 08 colorado 4 banger, redline 15-50 in summer in my 01 TT 1.8T with 300 hp + only 4.25 qt capacity. i do not like xx-20 water oils for 1/4 mpg gain, i will take longer engine life any day. on that note girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 L DI engine was drinking the specd dexos 5-20, a switch to 10-30 almost totally cut consumption!! both group III fake synthetics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back