1990 Lexus LS400 1UZFE Oil Recommendation

Hello everyone,

I picked up a very nice 1990 LS 400 with the 1UZFE powerplant yesterday and I’m looking for some oil recommendations. I used the search function but didn’t see any recent threads. Most of the previous services were completed at a local Lexus dealer but nothing other than 5w30 was noted in the service notes. I plan on using the Toyota 90915YZZD3 filter but haven’t decided on oil yet. I know these engines aren’t picky on oil but was hoping for some suggestions. The car has 176,000 miles on it. Appreciate any insight. -Ed

It get's chilly over there. 0/5w-40 at wallys will do. Use whatever filter, me being me I'd use the fram endurance and run that to three 6-7k intervals which is conservative for a euro oil and the filter unless you idle a ton and drive in dust.

A member did a uoa on quaker state euro in his mercedes suv for 6500 miles and it had a tbn of 7 without showing any oxidative thickening. But who knows if it could use some early oci cleaning so keep it short at 6-7k for the first few runs at least. After that extend if you want. I run euro and hdeo's to about 10-12k in my na v8's. Don't forget the rest of the drivetrain, radiator, brake fluid, and the power steering too.

Last edited:
It get's chilly over there. 0/5w-40 at wallys will do. Use whatever filter, me being me I'd use the fram endurance and run that to three 6-7k intervals which is conservative for a euro oil and the filter unless you idle a ton and drive in dust.

A member did a uoa on quaker state euro in his mercedes suv for 6500 miles and it had a tbn of 7 without showing any oxidative thickening. But who knows if it could use some early oci cleaning so keep it short at 6-7k for the first few runs at least. After that extend if you want. I run euro and hdeo's to about 10-12k in my na v8's. Don't forget the rest of the drivetrain, radiator, brake fluid, and the power steering too.
Western Oregon is actually very mild in terms of temperature. Appreciate the response and info. -Ed

30+ years, 176k miles on dealer "bulk" oil, doesn't sound like you need to put too much research into this. Aren't those engines rock-solid, anyway ? Any name-brand or store-brand 5W-30 will be fine.
You are correct, probably over thinking it but I always enjoy hearing others opinions and experiences. They are indeed rock solid engines. Appreciate the response. -Ed

The UZ engine series is very robust and stout. It needs nothing special.
Any modern SN or better lube would suffice well, given the presumed "normal" OCIs and the climate you state.

If you want to experiment a little, consider getting some good ester-based cleaning products (HPL's EC or ARX). Follow the directions for use. Though the engine isn't likely sludged up, after 176k miles, it would probably benefit from some devoted cleaning. DO NOT be tempted for quick-fix "engine flush" type products; no SeaFoam, MMO, etc. Stay away from solvent based engine flush products. What you should be doing is a deliberately prolonged, methodical cleaning with esters that slowly dissolve the varnish and deposits. Don't rush to a "mechanica in a can" 20 minute solution.

Hello everyone,

I picked up a very nice 1990 LS 400 with the 1UZFE powerplant yesterday and I’m looking for some oil recommendations. I used the search function but didn’t see any recent threads. Most of the previous services were completed at a local Lexus dealer but nothing other than 5w30 was noted in the service notes. I plan on using the Toyota 90915YZZD3 filter but haven’t decided on oil yet. I know these engines aren’t picky on oil but was hoping for some suggestions. The car has 176,000 miles on it. Appreciate any insight. -Ed
Mobil I EP 5W-30

Back