Which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Kia Soul ! 2.0 four cyl., which oil to use, the owners manual says 5w/20 or 5w/30 or 10w/30.. and conventional or synthetic, has 6000 miles on it**

How often do you want to change your oil?

Typical driving habits?

Coldest ambient temp for start?

If you are wanting a shorter OCI, I would encourage using a conventional or synthetic blend.

Since the car is new though, I would encourage you to consider using a synthetic oil and extending your OCI. This could actually turn out cheaper than running a conventional for a shorter distance.

I would prefer to use 5w20 myself, especially come winter time.

Originally Posted By: Robbie
OCI-3000 - 5000 miles
50/50
20 degrees

Any 5w-20 or 5w-30 conventional SN from Pennzoil, QuakerState, Mobil, Castrol, Supertech, etc that strikes your fancy. Personal Favorites are PYB and Mobil Super 5k.

I'd pick up a six pack of filters at your Kia dealer.

Edit: Definitely run out to 5k, if not 6k miles on a quality dino. Synthetic run to full factory Max OCI while under warranty.

Last edited:
Since you plan to go a max of 5000 miles....

Valvoline 5w30. Also consider ST Synthetic; either will take you 5k, with additives to spare. There was a thread on here where a guy went 200,000 miles on super tech and his internal and his internals were spotless. I have used VWB for years with no buildup or problems, and have had great UOAs at 5000 miles.

I started using Pennzoil yellow bottle in my Trailblazer and Corrolla, and I'm really liking it. I use 5-30. If I were the OP, I'd give PYB a shot.

I have a 2013 Kia Soul ! 2.0 four cyl., which oil to use, the owners manual says 5w/20 or 5w/30 or 10w/30.. and conventional or synthetic, has 6000 miles on it**

Many times the owners manual will say "the preferred oil is" xw-xx

Also the preferred oil is usually the one printed on the oil fill cap on the engine.

Let us know what both of them say.

5w20 of whatever synthetic you want with a Kia filter.. The Kia/Hyundai filters are very good.. And they will give you all kinds of [censored] if you dont use it and have engine warranty issue. As supposedly there is something specific about it to their cars. Idk how true that is..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OIL CAP SAYS 5W/20

That's a shame. I was hoping it said 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Why is it a shame?
Kia is simply stating that a 5W-20 is the preferred grade to use and you'll have all the viscosity reserves you need with that grade. Now if the OP wants to use a 5W-30 or even the antiquated 10W-30 grade there is nothing stopping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back