Which oil for FJ Cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know, either/or would be a wonderful choice.

My 2007 FJ Cruiser has nearly 230,000 miles on it and I have no issue.... El Zippo.... running a 40 weight in the 1GR-FE.

FtPBiuh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the Castrol European formula 0W40 in my 2004 4runner (same engine as your FJ) and the oem Toyota filter 90915-YZZD3.
I found that using other than the OEM filter causes the chain rattle on start up. Mine has 250000 miles.

I run the Castrol European formula 0W40 in my 2004 4runner (same engine as your FJ) and the oem Toyota filter 90915-YZZD3.
I found that using other than the OEM filter causes the chain rattle on start up. Mine has 250000 miles.
I don't think the oil filter will affect chain rattle. What I believe you're hearing is the oil control valve for vvt-i rattling. Sometimes if you cycle the ignition key once or twice on a cold start it eliminates the noise altogether. But yes, I have found that Toyota OEM filters rather than aftermarket filters have better results for that symptom.

I have decided to save the Mobil 1, 0w30 for the next change in my Ford 7.3L V8, Class-C RV.

I will use the Castrol in the FJ.

Alternate between both W40 in warmer months and W30 in colder months...

My OCI will be once a year, with the miles we are driving this FJ, hence a "0W" choice for winter driving.

I don't think the oil filter will affect chain rattle. What I believe you're hearing is the oil control valve for vvt-i rattling. Sometimes if you cycle the ignition key once or twice on a cold start it eliminates the noise altogether. But yes, I have found that Toyota OEM filters rather than aftermarket filters have better results for that symptom.

On rare occasion do I get this sound. Only once this past fall did it cause me to pay close attention.... and it was on a cold morning.

Two weeks now on Castrol Edge 0w40 and it has been outstanding. Even on a -6 degree morning, the normal sluggardness and 'start-up' noises with the previous fill are gone. Engine turns over quick, easy on super cold mornings and is smooth and quiet and running great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back