Which oil and how often- 2019 Terrain

New to the forum! Have 12,000 miles on the terrain 2.0L. First oil change at about 2,500 miles then the second one at about 7,500. Both done at the dealer. Would like to start doing my own oil changes. Leaning towards Mobil1(5W30), but should I be ok with the Kirkland brand? Though of course both meet GM requirements, would any added detergents/ingredients in M1 be worth it for this 2.0L engine?

Thanks!

Welcome!!!!! I would do no more than 5K mile OCI's unless there is a bunch of short trips, then 3K OCI's. Any brand name oil with OEM or better oil filter, OEM, FRAM Ultra, Mobil1 etc oil filter.
But that's me. I don't like anything over 5K mile oil changes, but that's me. You will get many other opinions here shortly I'm sure.

I have the 1.5 turbo (Nox), and Kirkland would be fine if you are going 5k. I'd feel more comfy if the oil was SN+ yo go a bit longer.

Is it more city or freeway for the Terrain?

Those engines are apparently quite vulnerable to LSPI. Imperative that you use the highest quality in-spec oil as you can. At the manufacturer's recommended drain interval, no longer, no shorter (within reason, ie: +/- 1000 miles). I wouldn't try to "MacGyver" this by substituting a shorter or longer than spec drain interval, or non-licensed/spec oils. The manufacturer has only validated the engine for the OCI's as specified, not shorter, not longer.

Filter, doesn't matter terribly. Whatever you can buy cheapest I guess.

Originally Posted by Rappy
New to the forum! Have 12,000 miles on the terrain 2.0L. First oil change at about 2,500 miles then the second one at about 7,500. Both done at the dealer. Would like to start doing my own oil changes. Leaning towards Mobil1(5W30), but should I be ok with the Kirkland brand? Though of course both meet GM requirements, would any added detergents/ingredients in M1 be worth it for this 2.0L engine?

Thanks!

That engine is both turbo and direct injection. You need SN Plus oil with Dexos1 Generation 2 certs. OCIs no longer than 5K, for best results in late engine life.
OEM (AC Delco) filters are fine.

I run Mobil 1 Dexos and OEM filters I the wife's 2.0 Malibu.

65,000 miles no oil usage or any issues to speak of. I do 4K oil changes as it gets short tripped a bunch.

Thanks for the replies! My daily commute is about 16 miles (one way)- all highway, plus 5 or 6 yearly 500 mile round trip drives "Up North". I tend to drive with a heavy foot.

Purchased the car new in January. I typically drive around 18K miles a year, but this year drove an 06' Aveo quite a bit. Ive hit 200K at around 10 years with the last two vehicles I've owned. I expect to do the same with this one as well.

We probably have the same engine, the LTG? I've found this car gets the oil dirty quite quickly, not a great indicator but it seems soot production is high due to DI. 16 miles one-way would not let the oil and trans get up to temp in MI winters so I would consider that severe service. There are multiple LSPI failures in the Camaro & Cadillac applications so use top-tier fuel and keep the revs up over 2k RPM under load if you can shift manually.

I am doing 4K mile changes or pretty close to 50% on the oil life monitor. I change the filter every other OCI. Make sure you use the correct filter as it's a 22psi bypass valve. The PF64 is moving to a E-core design and I'm not cool with that so I run a Wix WL10290XP. If Fram would ever get the XG12060 in the pipeline I would consider that a bit of an upgrade.

Enjoy the torques!

Thanks for all the good info! I think for now I will stick with the Kirkland 5W30 @ 5K intervals with the OE fuel filter.

welcome2.gif
Congrats on the Terrain. I bought myself a Cadillac XT4 with the 2.0 Turbo but must be different
because I have to use 0w20. Anyway, I would use high quality brand name oil. When I'm done with the free
oil changes, I'll use Castrol.

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
welcome2.gif
Congrats on the Terrain. I bought myself a Cadillac XT4 with the 2.0 Turbo but must be different
because I have to use 0w20. Anyway, I would use high quality brand name oil. When I'm done with the free

Would the Kirkland be considered "high quality name brand"?

welcome2.gif

No

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
welcome2.gif

No

If it's Dexos1 Gen2 then the oil meets your needs. With your driving habits I suggest 5k oci's.

madee
Kirkland may not meet the needs of my Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. I buy oils that do better ..... exceed the need.
I'm not deprting with - nor not selling the Hyundai, for it's entire lifetime. So I need to go a step farther than you.
Happy New Year

madee
Kirkland may not meet the needs of my Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. I buy oils that do better ..... exceed the need.
I'm not deprting with - nor not selling the Hyundai, for it's entire lifetime. So I need to go a step farther than you.
Happy New Year

OP asked if he would be "okay" with Kirkland brand, so I had to agree. I understand that he could use a higher priced lube yes but the Costco brand changed at 5k intervals will do the job.

I've decided on 5k intervals on my GDI engine based on what I've researched here and elsewhere. This and an oil that meets your cars specifications will produce a healthy engine surrounded by a bucket of rust in about 15 Michigan winters. Enjoy.

The Kirkland oil meets GM's D1G2 spec. It should and will be fine in your new ride. If it were mine, I'd be accomplishing OCI's every 3K to 4K miles. Use quality, name-brand, higher-end filters and you'll be fine as well.

Take care of her... vehicles these days aren't cheap!

madee
Happy New Year

Talk facts for a change otherwise your "advice" is completely worthless and irresponsible.

Originally Posted by qball16
I've decided on 5k intervals on my GDI engine based on what I've researched here and elsewhere. This and an oil that meets your cars specifications will produce a healthy engine surrounded by a bucket of rust in about 15 Michigan winters. Enjoy.

hahahaha....
I've employed a new routine for our salted Michigan roads in winter. After a snowy assault by our weather patterns the past two winters, I apply a long handle car brush dipped in a five gallon bucket with lightly soapy warm water. I aim the brush bristles at the corners of the doors - around the hood, trunk and gas tank - also around the wheel wells.

When that's completed, I'm usually frozen. Hoping this new M.O. slows down the birth of rust for a few more years. The spots on the vehicle that I aim for, are usually spots the local car washes can't reach (crevices).

Last edited:
Back