Which grade for the least consumption?

From 2001 Toyota Tundra owners manual:
Capture1.JPG

From the 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle factory handbook:
Capture.JPG

I'm not too concerned about engine wear - the car will likely be sold/traded before 200k anyway. Probably 150K.
I'm glad that you have finally, after an almost 2 yr saga, decided to up the viscosity.

This is the sad reality of what goes on out there. Owners follow the owners manual like it is an order from God and then the vehicle little by little starts to consume oil to the point where it is no longer tolerable, and the owner trades it.

The low tension rings installed for several years by Subaru back then were the culprit here, but from what I have read on European Subaru forums, despite them, consumption problems were not present where owners had just ignored the recommendation to use 0w20, for longer intervals, and used a heavier 5w30, 0w30 0w40 etc.

Lets not forget the deleted documents from Subaru.jp that stated specifically that 0w20 was for fuel efficiency only at the compromise of engine protection.

These Subaru engines run very happy, long lives on Euro spec xW30 xW40.

What are Euro oils are called in Europe? Oil. A 5w30 over there is usually not the same resource conserving oil that will shear out of grade as quickly. No surprise they are not running into oil consumption problems over there.

Last edited:
What are Euro oils are called in Europe? Oil. A 5w30 over there is usually not the same resource conserving oil that will sheer out of grade as quickly. No surprise they are not running into oil consumption problems over there.
Welcome to Bitog. There is a problem with sheering oil?

Welcome to Bitog. There is a problem with sheering oil?
Nothing at all when the amount it shears down by doesn't cause the oil to be less viscous than the particular engine, run under particular conditions, requires to not wear out prematurely.

Last edited:
Are you talking Texas winters.
He's running short ocis. It's still warm now. so 10-20 is ok. Winter is next, so his thinnest Vis 5-20. Spring/summer the 5-30. I'm picking from the oils he stated. Extreme temp swings ,sometimes cold, down here.

Below that is debatable. Some diesel applications allow a 10W-xx down to 0F, but I have not seen this recommendation for gas applications.
I was incorrect. Apparently, Toyota allows 10W-30 at temps above 0F on the 1MZ-FE Sienna:

1663792782340.jpg

Still, I think 10W-xx is best suited for temps above freezing. It will probably work okay between 0F-32F, but is not ideal.

I ran PPPP 10W-30 in my 2016 WRX.

Visited my then-girlfriend (now wife) in northern Indiana in the winter of 2019, and cranked it in low single-digit temps (Like, 4°F) several times.

No issues.

But the PPPP SN/SP 30 grade is fairly thin for grade.

We're pretty strict on smog in CA; I think any modifications to the crankcase vent system will likely result in a failure during the visual inspection portion of the test.
Oil catch can/oil seperator should not fail for visual inspection. As long as it is sealed and using the proper hose(s), not using a heater hose type. It should pass.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-230317_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220925-230317_Drive.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 20
Back