Which club are YOU in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and buy oil on sale when I can. I think if I had an absolute favorite oil it would be Mobil 1. I have been using Shell synthetic lately because BJ's has had it on sale a lot lately. I also like cheap store brands too. I have used a lot of Supertech products like synthetic and conventional oil, trans fluid, gear oil and filters with out ever an issue.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu

I would love to see you on "Extreme Couponing" motor oil edition!

I look for rebates as well but most of the time I'm a PU or M1 guy.

There will be an episode, I bet you.

I'll buy any synthetic or blend that's either dirt cheap or FAR.
A stash only makes sense if you pick up the oil cheaply.
When a deal is too good to pass up, the stash grows.
When there is a drought in deals, the stash shrinks.
Generally, you should be paying less than $2.00/qt net for synthetic oil, although I did pay nearly three dollars a quart for some Amsoil SSO 0W-20 I found on CL.
I bought it on spec, and now I have an application for it.

Agreed

However, the oil change at dealers and chains are so cheap that if you can find one you trust, its almost not worth the effort of stashing oil, doing the oil change yourself and cleaning up after.

But its so much more entertaining and relaxing to do it yourself.
You also know that the job was done right and that neither the drain plug nor the filter were tightened to some insane level.
I actually do find this task to be a relaxing way to unwind after a day at work, as long as the weather is pleasant.
It's also probably quicker, since there is no need to drive somewhere and then wait for the work to get done.
It's also entertaining to decide which oil to use in the engine for the next few OCIs, with an eye toward maybe doing a UOA of the third drain.

Back in high school all I used was Mobil 1 5W-30 (in a [censored] '93 Taurus LOL). Same thing when I got my Civic Si after that (I used the same oil). After that, I've used the cheapest oil I could find, as long as it met the mfg's requirement. When I'm done with this trial of Amsoil, I'm going to start using Shell products, I have no scientific reason why, I basically just want to...lol!

Cheers!

I have some brand loyalty, but within reason. I tend to buy a bunch at once at a sensible price, and stick with it for a while. I don't like bouncing around brands unnecessarily. I have a phobia about mixing and switching oils randomly. Aside from that, I don't mind all that much if it's GTX, QSGB, PYB, VWB, Mobil Super, or something else. I find a deal, buy a bunch, and use it.

For the taxis, QS was used exclusively, and we'd just get cases upon cases of it when it went on sale. The G had one fill of QSGB and then has been with PYB ever since. The old F-150 has had a mix, particularly before the rebuild, when viscosity choices were important for minimizing leaks.

Originally Posted By: JAM25
I'm a Sopus oil type of guy. My SUV has PYB while my two cars have Quaker State Defy. Pennzoil and Quaker State are my type of oils.

I fall in this category. Currently my F150 has QSAD. My wife's Focus has FS but if I can find a good deal, I will use other brands. Unless the deal involves a XOM product.

Neither for me at this point. Years ago I ran Amsoil or Mobil1 because they were the best I knew of and locally available.

For the last few years I've applied what I've learned here at BITOG and choose the best of what is locally available.

At various times that has meant MC blend, PYB, and currently QSUD.

Sale and rebate tips don't really divert me because as I see it my time and my gas to chase these things is expensive and negates any savings.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: Umibozu

I would love to see you on "Extreme Couponing" motor oil edition!

I look for rebates as well but most of the time I'm a PU or M1 guy.

There will be an episode, I bet you.

I have actually hurt my shoulder, sweeping a whole shelf of discounted oil into my shopping cart, hoping not to break any qts.
laugh.gif

I largely stick with one brand though the first oil change going into the Sorento is going to be NextGen as I'm curious about it and I got it for a good deal off of Amazon.

However the Sorento came with scheduled dealership oil changes out to 35k miles so unless I decide to buy my own oil for those I'll have no say in what goes into the engine for quite a while.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
There seems to be two schools of thought on BITOG:

Either our members are hard core supporters of one oil,

OR

We search for whatever good quality oil is on sale.

Which club are you in? I am usually an Amsoil user, but couldn't pass up a really good sale on PYB and PU last year.

We were dedicated Amsoil users for decades, still have a dealer number and still use certain products like Dominator, brake fluid, trans fluids, etc.

But for oil it's whatever name brand synthetic or semi-synthetic that is on sale, coupled with almost any name brand filter.

At the ridiculously short intervals most use this is still overkill...

I use all different brands mostly because of the experiences with different oils posted by members of this forum. I've even tried a HDEO oil for my gas engine. I change my own oil and it's kind of fun to try different brands; it kind of makes things interesting.

See my sig for the variety I'm using at the moment.

I'm a mixer: whom else out there? Syn on sale (group 3(+)HC)) plus known PAO and POE. every time. black oil, clean metal less than 5K mile changes w/ new filter every time - tell me I'm wrong...

Thru my own experience, backed up by technical info from BITOG I'll use any oil BUT Mobil-1. Nothing against XOM, as I've used their Mobil Clean 5000, it's just the M-1 variety I have never been happy with
SOPUS has such a good selection of products,how can you go wrong?

I'll use the conventional brand name oil that's least expensive when I'm ready to do my twice yearly oil changes. Last fall it was Valvoline MaxLife, this spring it was Valvoline NextGen. I've used Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Motocraft and several others. For the lawn equipment it's Rotella 15W-40 because it's the least expensive 15W-40 that's easily available.

I don't stock up on oil other than an extra quart or two, and a couple of gallons waiting to be used in the tractors.

I was getting pretty loyal to Pennzoil Ultra at Walmart prices, but as much as I like the oil I'm not paying the auto parts store $10/qt prices and I doubt many others are either.

As far as loyalty in general, I tend to stick with Pennzoil, Chevron/Havoline, Mobil, Red Line, and Amsoil. In fact I can't remember that last time I bought a drive-line lubricant that didn't come from one of those 5 brands. Actually, yes I do, tried one run of Royal Purple back in 2003 or so.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back