Which club are YOU in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be two schools of thought on BITOG:

Either our members are hard core supporters of one oil,

OR

We search for whatever good quality oil is on sale.

Which club are you in? I am usually an Amsoil user, but couldn't pass up a really good sale on PYB and PU last year.

I search for whatever brand name, dino and/or syn, is on sale and with rebate(s).

I bought these brands so far: Peak dino, Mobil dino and syn, Havoline dino, Chevron dino, Castrol dino and syn, Valvoline syn, Pennzoil syn.

Last edited:
I fit in neither.

I am not loyal to one oil, nor do I always buy the best deal at the moment. (sometimes it gets me though)

Sometimes I like to try different things.....

I'm kinda forced to a specific group of oils known to work well with my car's engine. As of right now I'm stuck with PU 5w30 and 10w30 as it's an oil I know not to deviate out of spec with continued use.

If my car wasn't so oil picky I'd probably end up using just about any motor oil on sale.
lol.gif

I'm a Sopus oil type of guy. My SUV has PYB while my two cars have Quaker State Defy. Pennzoil and Quaker State are my type of oils.

Well when I first started driving I was a Mobil diehard fan. Then as I got older and noticed how noisy my engines were I jumped ship and was an Amsoil fanboy for many years. Then once the cost hit 18 bucks a litre I just couldn't afford it anymore,although I still hold it in very high regard.
Then I learned about basestock groups,and Mobil switching once their lawsuit didn't pan out with castrol and I got a hate on for Mobil. I've still kinda got that in me however I do like their 0w-40 and AFE line.
Now I'm the on sale guy. If I could get M1 on rollback as cheap as PP then my stash would be Mobil,or a variety actually like it is now.
Ultimately for 99% of us drivers oil brand is irrelevant,as long as maintenance schedules are adhered to I doubt one oil keeps an engine alive longer than another one however when something special is required then I don't see any point in over thinking it,just use what is suggested by the oem.

Used to be 100% Amsoil but as synthetics became a common item at multiple locations I am now primarily Shell synthetic from BJs. Still use Amsoil ATF though but new cars sort of prevent me from changing that as well, sealed units etc

I prefer Amsoil when money and availability are not issues. If not then I usually go with Mobil1 EP or PU. I have not oil oil analysis yet but may in the near future as I do see the value especially since I like doing extended OCI's. I have noticed visually the Amsoil looks the best when it comes out with the PU looking the dirtiest of the 3. This may be the reuslt of the engine cleaning from the brand of oil though.

I am loyal to products that have proven to be quality to me over time and use. Once I find a product I like I stick with it. For oil that is RP & Kendall for synthetic and Valvoline and Castrol for conventional. My go to oil is RP.

My favorite is still Mobil 1, but they have a lot more competition now than they did a few years ago. Supertech will probably work in any car and be fine for life.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I search for whatever brand name, dino and/or syn, is on sale and with rebate(s).

I bought these brands so far: Peak dino, Mobil dino and syn, Havoline dino, Chevron dino, Castrol dino and syn, Valvoline syn, Pennzoil syn.

Same here

Kendall,Havoline,Amsoil,Rotella,Royal Purple

I've used these in the past and will be my goto oils in the future as well,NONE of these have ever let me down.
thumbsup2.gif

I was a one oil guy for most of my life. I started with PYB, then at some point decided I needed to switch to GTX. They did have really cool comercials with engines revving up and everything. A few years ago I jumped to synthetics.

So my loyalties were back to Shell oils. PP and PU were the choice for four or five years.

Now I'm a bit more open minded. I just ran a cycle of PYB in the wife's car. Also if you see my sig, I'm now trying GC and BC as well. Those were sale purchases. I'm tending to stash quality oils on sale without as much specific brand loyalty. Perhaps the change from serial monogamy is due to a midlife crisis?

On the other hand I have always stayed away from no name brands and store brands.

I am in the "on sale" club. I won't pay more than $3 a quart for synthetic oil except for my motorcycle where I won't pay over $8. BUT, I only plan to run my cars to 200,000 miles.

Last edited:
I think the majority of folks here are somewhere more in the middle. Yes, they have favorites (that have proven track records), but they also have an open mind and an interest in the newest oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back