Which AMSOIL to use????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben, it could have cooking oil in it... As long as it gets the job done is all that matters... It does this with ease and keeps the TBN/TAN in check for a very long time.

Use it for a few runs with some UOA's and then you will see... Till then you can't comment IMO.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ben, it could have cooking oil in it... As long as it gets the job done is all that matters... It does this with ease and keeps the TBN/TAN in check for a very long time.

Good for long drain intervals, sure. But just not exactly what I'd expect for such a high dollar oil.

ASL has the adds...

So a weaker basestock or mostly GRP-III basestock oil with lots of calcium and "beef" as you called it, in the additive package is better than an oil with a super fine base-stock, mostly PAO, and a additive package that gets the job done effectively?

Backed by Amsoil for 35K miles (not 25K like their other oils)?

Yah ok... Guess you are right...
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
So a terrible basestock oil with lots of calcium and "beef" in the additive package is better than an oil with a super fine base-stock, mostly PAO, and a additive package that gets the job done?

So ASL has a terrible basestock?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
So a terrible basestock oil with lots of calcium and "beef" in the additive package is better than an oil with a super fine base-stock, mostly PAO, and a additive package that gets the job done?

So ASL has a terrible basestock?
smirk2.gif

I didn't say ASL had a "terrible" basestock, but you seem to be convinced that it's all about the additives and not the base stock. Truth is it is both and how they are balanced.
wink.gif

On top of that you are making claims against it and you haven't even used it or done a UOA on it... So how do you know whats better?

I have used it and have had way better results with it versus other leading oils like M1 for example.

I didn't say ASL had a "terrible" basestock, but you seem to be convinced that it's all about the additives and not the base stock.

I do?
54.gif

Quote:
On top of that you are making claims against it and you haven't even used it or done a UOA on it

So you have UOAs showing better results with SSO versus ASL?

You do because you are asking "where is the beef" and saying that it has calcium and not much else... So apparently you are more concerned with additives than basestocks.

The basestocks in SSO are so fine that it doesn't need an overly stout additive package to "prop" it up and keep it useable like other oils.

That said they could get away with a lot less than they have, but they haven't so that they can have even better performance.

My SSO does have better results than ASL, and both have better results than M1.

YES... I do have it.

All 3 are posted here in the UOA's section...

High in calcium, low in everything else.

No moly, no boron, very little magnesium...

You have 1200 posts. It's an SM oil. And you have not learned there is more is to an oil that what you see in a $20 UOA?

You do because you are asking "where is the beef" and saying that it has calcium and not much else... So apparently you are more concerned with additives than basestocks.

I'm still trying to figure out where you are drawing this conclusion from. Here's a hint: you are wrong.

I'm still trying to figure out where you are drawing this conclusion from. Here's a hint: you are wrong.

I'm not wasting my time with you anymore... You think what you want... You are the one missing out IMO.

Have a nice day.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You have 1200 posts. It's an SM oil. And you have not learned there is more is to an oil that what you see in a $20 UOA?

Actually, I don't place much value on UOAs except for determining OCIs.

Better give the lecture to Stevie, he's the one basing his oil's performance on a $20 UOA.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Actually, I don't place much value on UOAs except for determining OCIs.

Better give the lecture to Stevie, he's the one basing his oil's performance on a $20 UOA.

OK so you know you are the one who said SSO is low on additives? How do you know this? By looking at a few elements??

I've got an '04 Subaru Outback w/the 3.0 6 cyl.
It calls for a 5W-30.
Will using a 0W-20 hurt?
The winters here aren't too horrible & the summers aren't too hot.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JGKC9AYC
I've got an '04 Subaru Outback w/the 3.0 6 cyl.
It calls for a 5W-30.
Will using a 0W-20 hurt?
The winters here aren't too horrible & the summers aren't too hot.
Thanks.

I suppose you could use 0W-20, but what would you hope to gain? If your car calls for 5W-30, then that's what I would use. In fact, 5W-30 is perfect for winters that aren't too horrible and summers that aren't too hot.

You are the one missing out IMO.

Missing out?
54.gif
I am missing out by using an oil that costs about the same but with superior base oils and all of the anti-wear adds to make my heart content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back