When you just have to steal a Hyundai/Kia at all costs.

in some states , a car jacking is grounds for the use of deadly force.
Not necessarily.....BUT.

Flailing around with a 3000-pound missile absolutely is grounds for using deadly force to stop the threat. Preventing the driver from causing serious harm or death to a 3rd party, is certainly legal here in GA and probably plenty of other states.

As far as carjacking, if you are in legitimate fear for your life, that can also be grounds for use, or if the bad guy has any form of weapon, and by that it could be something as simple as a brick, rock, pipe, etc. A shot to your head with anything like that and you could well be done with. Also would be grounds for shooting or defending yourself.

Last edited:
If I shot someone here in Maryland for pretty much anything nefarious, my life would probably be permanently ruined.

The situation would have been even more lunatic with some helpful gunman firing very low-percentage shots at the guy in the moving car with all those bystanders around. Bystanders who inexplicably keep moving toward the car. There's no suggestion that the driver was trying to run over people on purpose, and indeed no people were hit.

If I shot someone here in Maryland for pretty much anything nefarious, my life would probably be permanently ruined.
I think it is pretty safe to say, if one is ever in a situation to shoot anyone, their life will probably change for the worse for at least some time afterward, even if it was totally justifiable.

Of course, can always be worse depending on location. Still, a lifechanging event for the most part.

The situation would have been even more lunatic with some helpful gunman firing very low-percentage shots at the guy in the moving car with all those bystanders around. Bystanders who inexplicably keep moving toward the car. There's no suggestion that the driver was trying to run over people on purpose, and indeed no people were hit.
Just an observation. You're looking at the situation with 20/20 hindsight. In the moment, at that time, do you think you could have made the decision that the lunatic wasn't trying to run someone over?

Not saying it's right or wrong, just another point of view. I'm certainly not saying go out with guns blazing.

Police shoot at people in cars that come in their direction ... calling it "self defense" because they interpret that act as the guy trying to kill them with a car. Could an upstanding citizen do the same thing without ramifications ... I doubt it.

I tend to want to avoid such situations. The farther away I am, the better.
CUJ,

I shared that opinion for many decades. My thoughts was, if I am somewhere I need a firearm, I should have been wiser to not be there in the first place.

Things have significantly changed in recent times. Everyone is at risk in many parts of the country. Not so long ago a senior citizen was safe to walk to the local market during the day. Now, these same seniors are a target of opportunity in many places in our country .

Watching the video, if I saw it correctly, the victim was a elderly person wuth significant physical issues, very easy for all to see. Who in the world would target a person like that?

Watching the video, if I saw it correctly, the victim was a elderly person wuth significant physical issues, very easy for all to see. Who in the world would target a person like that?
Someone that sees an easy target that won't fight back or do anything to stop them.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Back