Hyundai and Kia most stolen

Guys on Live On Patrol say Hyundai and Kia are over half of their stolen vehicles. So much so that they keep their eyes peeled when cruising St Paul.

This 6 month old C&D article (click here) has more info.
"Kia thieves know they can break the back window without setting off an alarm, unlock the door, quickly peel back the steering column, and either use a screwdriver or a USB port to crank the car and go."

Someone tried to break into our Forte on Father's Day. They weren't successful but they pried at the door and did some cosmetic damage. I believe they were after a bag my wife had left in the back seat. I've told her for 20 years not to leave anything out in the open for that very reason.

Every other brand has had key transponders or other measures against simply forcing the column lock, since about the 2000 model year.

Driving with the back window broken out is something police would notice.

Every other brand has had key transponders or other measures against simply forcing the column lock, since about the 2000 model year.

Driving with the back window broken out is something police would notice.
They would notice, but most agencies don't pursue for property crimes.

I just had mine stolen. They took the catalytic converters. I heard that you can file a claim for this to Kia. I even had their Anti-Theft software done a month ago. Didn't help AT ALL. The door lock was damaged, but the ignition cylinder didn't even look damaged at all. I have a regular key.

There was an unsuccessful attempt to steal my Forte recently. The damage was a broken window and some weirdness with the ignition switch. After I got it fixed, CarMax bought it back for more than I paid when I bought it from them 2.5 years earlier.

I now have. 2019 Jetta SEL Premium with less than 11k miles on it.

One day's worth of vehicle thefts in Baltimore City:
baltimore_hk_thefts_one_day.jpg

Back