When (Year) did you do your first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father used to have me change his oil on his cars in the late 80s early 90s. I was 13 when I did my first oil change.

15 my first brake job (I was scared of the drun brakes when I first saw them but they managed to work when I was done!)

Did my own maintenance until I hit 30. At that point I had no family and more money than time so I just paid people to do the work.

Now I'm almost 40, have a family, and do my own maintenance again. Kids are freaking expensive.

Alone? 1986 on my 74 Plymouth Volare 225.

With Dad, "helping" him"? 1972 on the Chevrolet station wagon.

I was 16 and had a 62 pontiac catalina. Used straght 10W oil cause it was the middle of the winter. This was in 1976.

Hmm, I'd guess 1990-1991, on the parent's '87 Astrovan, and I would have been 13-14. If not then then certainly in '93 or so on my first vehicle. Oddly enough, I'd say dad let me use the chainsaw before this particular task.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
On a 1996 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L
The oil filter was on so tight, i had to hammer a screw driver through it to twist it off. Great first experience.

Same with my '95 Neon! But it wasn't my first oil change, that was around 1987 on a 1972 Plymouth Duster, 225cid slant-6 with a three on the tree. Every car, every time since.

My first "on my own" oil change was in 1959. I changed the oil in my mom's 1953 Oldsmobile. One of the perks of growing up with a dad who was a Gulf dealer.
smile.gif

September of 1995. Was my first real job and it was at lube place. The car was a Pontiac Sunfire. After that I started doing my own and family and friend's cars. Never stopped. Always pick up oil when I see it discounted.

My first oil change was on my 1978 Horizon back in 1985. I must have checked the oil 10 times in the first 1000 miles.

Right before the first time I ran a VOA. Thereafter they were all UOA's
grin.gif

Memory is fuzzy on this. Must have been about 1979 on the V8 Vega that my brother and I built. Or maybe 1976 on the V6 Vega that my dad built with help from my brother and I. But definitely by 1981 on the regular Vega that I had as a go-to-college car. Our family had a thing for Vega's.

Age 12, my father gave me a rusty frame, a motor and a bushel basket of parts for my birthday. 6 weeks later it was a Sears/Cushman 4hp scooter. Used 30wt HD from my dads barrel. Think it was Shaffer's.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back