When (Year) did you do your first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1978, IIRC.
The car was a Vega, the oil was Citgo from Kmart, something like .29/qt on sale back then.
Not sure what kind of filter I used.
The cheap oil was nice, since the Vega sure burned through plenty of it.
The Saturn of its day, only worse, neither as powerful nor as economical and much rougher than any Saturn.
Better handling, though.

First oil change was in 1978 on my first car, a 1968 Mercury Montego MX convertible. Oil was Gulf Gulfpride 10W30 purchased for .49/qt. and filter was a Lee for 1.89. Both were purchased from Jamesway.

1965. My parents had a 64 and a 65 Pontiac. They were not very good at getting the oil changed. When I took over the resposibility for oil changes both cars had around 10,000 miles on their oil. I have been ejoying changing oil ever since.

I remember helping my Pops change the oil in our new '78 Jeep Cherokee.

Personally was probably in my 1979 Toyota Tercel in 1990 when i first started driving...using "Castrol GTX, engineered for today's smaller engines."

Originally Posted By: hounddog
EASY RIDER

LOVE that movie!!!!!!!! I have the soundtrack somewhere.

1982. Worked at a quick lube place and subsequently changed oil in hundreds of cars. Great learning experience.

Around 1966 when I was in high school. Back then I don't think protecting the environment had been invented yet; I used to drive a couple of blocks from home and drop the oil right on side of dirt road and change filter on the spot. Nobody bothered me about doing it, and I didn't know any better.

2000, No one has changed the oil in my cars except for me. A mechanic has worked one of my cars just once, that was also in 2000. .

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be 75, and been a backyard mechanic since. I must, can't afford repairs, and don't trust anyone but myself to do repirs correctly, even if it needs to be redone because I screwed up! (rare occurance) Live & learn, still less expensive. lol
P.S. I remember a clutch replacment I had to redo, but that's about it. If mechanically inclined, follow the guides and ask questions; Difficult to make a mistake this way, and one reason I joined BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back