When will the government ban cigarettes outright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Tempest
What happened to your post?

First page of the link you provided:

Quote:
Gambling participation and expenditure rates
increased with household income. For example,
58% of households with incomes of less than
$20,000 gambled in 2003 and spent an average
of $312, while equivalent figures for those with
incomes of $80,000 or more were 79% and
$725.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/studies-etudes/75-001/comm/5018851-eng.pdf

And yes, government allows gambling for the same reason they allow cigarettes, easy tax revenue.

I was posting a couple links from Statistics Canada but end up not having time to finish it. Homework and family issue is more important you know, rather than entertaining an ultra conservative Las Vegan in pointless argument.

I'll take a rain check for another day on this issue.

Bottom line is that you are a statist that wants to control the lives of 300 million other people according to your feelings. You already live in a smoke free city where you do not have to endure any somkers in your work, home, restaurants, and bars.
You think that if you even smell smoke you get cancer from second hand smoke, which is la la fairy land. You think higher insurance premiums are in part due to smokers which is patently false. You should have no say in the matter as it is demonstrable that you are not effected in any way by it other than you you may in a collective sense profit from the duties levied on others and not on yourself.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Smoking is a disgusting habit but that’s not my issue with smokers. I simply don't want to pay for smokers poor health choices. Same goes with people that eat fast foods, are obese or otherwise don't take responsibility for their health.

At 64 both my wife and me only need wellness health care visits and don't have to gulp handfuls of pills for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes or other self-inflicted health problems. We actively manage our health and we both are in great physical shape. We exercise daily and are very active. We see others our age and younger that, because of their health choices can’t exercise, can’t walk, are obese, can’t catch their breath and have a host of other self-inflicted health issues.

However, rather than be rewarded for maintaining our health we're grouped in the same insurance risk pool as people who are obese, diabetic, smoke, don't exercise and are too lazy to take care of themselves. I pay inflated rates for health care because of others irresponsible health care choices. Therefore, I have no problem with high taxes on smoking materials, fast foods, alcohol consumption and other poor health choices as long as those tax dollars help relieve the financial burden that those who take care of themselves are forced to shoulder.
Good post. If your health insurance was adjusted appropriately, would you still support higher taxes for any reason?

Or lower taxes on some things?
21.gif

If it's a free country, why doesn't someone start a health insurance company that calculates premiums according to known risk factors and lifestyle choices? Then, people could choose a healthy, safe lifestyle, and be rewarded with low premiums.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
If it's a free country, why doesn't someone start a health insurance company that calculates premiums according to known risk factors and lifestyle choices? Then, people could choose a healthy, safe lifestyle, and be rewarded with low premiums.

It is not that free. At least you can't discriminate against racial group, family history, sexual orientation, or in the future genetic makeup. And we haven't even get into the exact science of what risk factors result in what yet.

Aflac cherry picks clients. They only insure people who don't need it. Use them if you really want to waste money and need peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Aflac cherry picks clients. They only insure people who don't need it. Use them if you really want to waste money and need peace of mind.

Here's an idea. Try to get an insurance from Aflac. If you are accepted, decline it and go uninsured.

Talking about taking a calculated risk.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

my bro in law is 37 yrs old, a 2 pack/day smoker, and he has a 500k life insurance through his job. My sister told me that he put "he wasn't a smoker" on the insurance application. He wakes up every morning at 4am choking on his own phlegm.

Last edited:
Excellent. The deliberately don't verify your smoking status, since it can be checked after death, and then they pay zero if you lied and said no. Medical insurance would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back