The Electronic Cigarette is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I think an electronic cigarette is just as stupid an idea as a regular cigarette (or any other smoking device).

I don't understand the desire to stick something in your mouth and suck the chemicals out of it in the form of smoke or vapor. It doesn't make you look cool, it doesn't make you look intelligent; quite the opposite, it makes the user look brainless.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I am curious as to why you think that. Is it the visual aspects? Because, vaporized propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the vapor is used in hospitals for heart patients.

There are a host of other chemicals including nicotine vapor released from electronic cigarettes. While small amounts of those chemicals may indeed have some medicinal uses, long, extended use of those chemicals in vapor form have the potential of causing a great deal of harm. There was a time when regular cigarettes and tobacco use was actually considered healthy-we now know better. Who's to say that there aren't as many potential health issues with vapor cigarettes?

If I'm out in public, I simply don't want to have to smell anything you may be doing. If you choose to do it in the confines of your own home I don't care. But when you take it into a public place and I have to smell it (even though an electronic cigarette isn't as stinky as a regular one), I still don't want to smell either.

01.gif

Electronic or not,smoking is unhealthy and a nasty habit you get it yet?!

Originally Posted By: hisilver
As a former smoker, I just don't know which side to take on these..... But if you're trying to quit real cigs, do it like we did back in the day; grab a pouch of Red Man.

lmaorof,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very good

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Simple,they are unhealthy and the smell is nasty.

A lot of things people are exposed to on a daily basis are probably more harmful than an e-cig. In fact, I can say without a doubt the things I am exposed to at work (fuel, oil, aerosol solvents, exhaust of cars that run like [censored]) are far worse for me than an e-cig.

As for the smell, what smell? The vapor is practically odorless. Maybe the fruity ones smell, but when I tried a menthol e-cig for a little while, all I could smell was a faint menthol smell that wouldn't be perceptible from more than a few inches away. And I was using it to quit dipping (smokeless tobacco), so my sensitivity to cigarette smoke is still fairly high compared to that of a smoker.

A holier than thou approach will not get people to stop smoking the real deal, but a much less harmful alternative might. What is so bad about someone inhaling a vapor if it keeps them from inhaling actual smoke?

A lot of times when subjects like this come up, I can't help but think that some people just get mad when they see other people doing something that they don't get to do.

I wish e-cigs had worked for me. I kind of liked it, but it wasn't a powerful enough substitute for a can of Gizzly Wintergreen. I ended up going back to dipping. I wish the e-cigs had worked for me, as dipping is quite nasty in comparison.

My mother used one for a while...the only odor I ever detected was more like a strong cough drop. (She smokes True menthol.)

I'm a non-smoker. I did, for a time, smoke a tobacco pipe (you don't inhale into the lungs) and found it enjoyable. As I developed NO habit, and after deciding to obtain life insurance as a non-smoker....I ceased. Still miss it once in a while.
These E-cigarettes are a great idea in my opinion. It helps those that smoke to quit. It is FAR less offensive to those around you as well as ZERO health issues from second hand 'vapor'.
Here's my huge gripe with this whole issue. Several years ago in my area, big brother decided that to smoke tobacco in a bar, restaurant, or any other PRIVATE business was harmful to the health of the employees and non-smoking patrons. So they USED health as a reason to pass laws forcing private business owners to abide by the no smoking ordinance. Tens of thousands of law abiding citizens were then ostracized from these businesses as far as smoking goes. Fine you say? Ok, for HEALTH reasons it must be a 'good' thing for us all, right? A few years later these e-cigarettes come out and being that they ARE NOT a tobacco product and DO NOT constitute a health issue for employees or patrons, they don't violate the law, right?
Well, not so fast. Once again, big brother has decided that while they DO NOT constitute a health issue (supposedly what the law was written for and designed to protect patrons/employees) they are still a violation of the No Smoking law. To me....and anybody that believes in the rights of all citizens....this is an outrage and is highly disingenuous to say the least. How can that be justified? Why is it so casually allowed that a law brought into effect for one reason....is expanded and applied for another? Some of you find it 'annoying'? Well, perhaps there is much about yourselves that other find 'annoying' as well.

andrewg:
is the washington law just limited to the interior of the building?
the public smoking ban they passed here in Ohio a few years ago, it's not only "public spaces" including privately owned buisnesses, but anywhere within 20 feet of the door.
so if you are at a bar, with other businesses on either side(with less than 41 feet between the doors of said businesses) you pretty much have to stand in the middle of the road to smoke.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette So, I was curious and went in a tobacco shop to get the low down. I did, yes I took some puffs and no coughing as I inhaled and exhaled the smoke and yes it was flavored. I found out you can smoke these in a restaurant because this is a non tobacco cigarette ....at least that is what the store owner says................... so what do you all think if you are a user of such a product? I have no issue with it and there is no smoke smell, but you will get a room with the flavor the person is using.

I just posted a thread on these vaporizers the other day. I've got a couple.

You non smokers whining about a smell or vapour cloud obviously have never seen nor been near one so your comments carry no weight because there is no smell or vapour cloud.
When outside on a foggy morning and you breathe in that mist,do you exhale the mist. Do you have a fog(vapour) cloud wafting over somewhere.
Absolutely the most absurd position to try and defend.
As far as stink there isn't one,nor does it negatively affect the users breath. In fact because the flavours linger in my mouth my breath actually has a faint hint of whatever flavour I've got in it at the time.
All you guys whining I suggest actually educating yourselves on the topic because the positions your trying to defend presently aren't actual issues.
When the puff is exhaled,in my experience using one every day there is no mist or fog or vapour exhaled. So the whole vapour cloud defence has no legs.
There is no smell,unless you are kissing the user,and if you kissed them when they were smoking I'm sure this won't bother you. Another strike.
Originally Posted By: DragRace
I think an electronic cigarette is just as stupid an idea as a regular cigarette (or any other smoking device).

I don't understand the desire to stick something in your mouth and suck the chemicals out of it in the form of smoke or vapor. It doesn't make you look cool, it doesn't make you look intelligent; quite the opposite, it makes the user look brainless.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I am curious as to why you think that. Is it the visual aspects? Because, vaporized propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the vapor is used in hospitals for heart patients.

There are a host of other chemicals including nicotine vapor released from electronic cigarettes. While small amounts of those chemicals may indeed have some medicinal uses, long, extended use of those chemicals in vapor form have the potential of causing a great deal of harm. There was a time when regular cigarettes and tobacco use was actually considered healthy-we now know better. Who's to say that there aren't as many potential health issues with vapor cigarettes?

If I'm out in public, I simply don't want to have to smell anything you may be doing. If you choose to do it in the confines of your own home I don't care. But when you take it into a public place and I have to smell it (even though an electronic cigarette isn't as stinky as a regular one), I still don't want to smell either.

01.gif

Electronic or not,smoking is unhealthy and a nasty habit you get it yet?!

Hey. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. A vaporizer isn't smoking. In no way shape or form is it smoke.
Do you get it yet.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

alright folks, no consumption of Onions, Garlic, or Curry in pop's presence. and for gods sake don't skip a shower, Burp or pass gas.
wink.gif
( i Kid)

I'll say it again,unless you are having intimate relations with the vapour user its impossible for you to smell anything.
It's not smoking. In no way is it endangering anyone with any second hand toxic inhalants.
I find these comments,from those who've never seen,been near,had occasion to potentially smell,or any actual experience whatsoever seem to feel so strongly about its use.
I've gotta wonder how a person can make a judgement on something they've never seen,smelled or had any occasion to be in the presence of yet somehow they've got an opinion and in no uncertain terms should this thing that can't harm you,physically anyway has already caused emotional trauma.
Get over yourselves. It's not smoking. Nothing combusts,its steam,less than a drop full but I guess these guys who've never seen one before are experts.

Hilarious. The big tent is up and running and there wasn't enough room in the car,so the clowns drove the bus.
I've now got real insight to these latest experts. If you believe the absurdly incorrect info I've read here and refuse to accept you don't have a clue what you're talking about it exposes an inability to learn,or a choice not to. Either way its amusing.
Reading those posts I can't help but laugh. Someone mentioned puffing on anything a sign of being brainless.
So I ask if that's being brainless exactly what label do we attach to grown men whom have never seen a vaporizer,nor have they any experience in the reality of being around one,and can't seem to grasp that its not smoking,and have decidedly chosen to be completely ignorant of the product,yet post how they don't want to smell the stink,or be exposed to the nonexistent secondhand exhalation and whatever other nonsense posted.
I'll make it simple for anyone who hasn't any experience in the presence of one.
Anyone in the presence of a vaporizer user will not smell,will not be exposed to any toxin,and in the spirit of simplicity I'll condense it into 1 sentence.
If you don't see it I guarantee you wouldn't even know 1 was there.
Incense burns,and it smells. There are scented candles nowadays too. Either of those 2 products introduce more pollutants into the air than a person puffing on a vaporizer.
Its funny. When you enter a public toilet the spray air freshener is a larger risk to your health than a person puffing a vapouriser.
A [censored] IS MORE HARMFUL TO A PERSON THAN BEING IN THE PRESENCE OF A PERSON PUFFING A VAPOURIZER. There is no risk nor and chance of smelling nor is it possible to harm any bystander with a vapourizer,yet we still have folks scared of them.
Fear of the unknown is obviously a very powerful emotion. If I can suggest a tactic called using your head I'm positive you guys won't be scared anymore. I promise

Originally Posted By: Clevy
You non smokers whining about a smell or vapour cloud obviously have never seen nor been near one so your comments carry no weight because there is no smell or vapour cloud.

Someone needs to light a nice, big-bowled pipe beside them so they can tell the difference.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
andrewg:
is the washington law just limited to the interior of the building?
the public smoking ban they passed here in Ohio a few years ago, it's not only "public spaces" including privately owned buisnesses, but anywhere within 20 feet of the door.
so if you are at a bar, with other businesses on either side(with less than 41 feet between the doors of said businesses) you pretty much have to stand in the middle of the road to smoke.

25 feet here. And the same intrusive laws apply (added later) to "nicotine delivery devices". Even though these devices have ZERO effect on non-users. That is just plain wrong. Certainly spotlights how those in government know what's best for us. Sad fact however is that when the tobacco/smoking law was passed back in 2005, it was by over 60+%. So....the people opened the door and as evidenced by the e-cigarettes being banned, have allowed for the invasive nature of government to restrict us even more.

In Santa Barbara you have to be at least 10 feet away from an opening in a building to smoke. I love it, I absolutely hate the smell and the attitude of a lot of smokers here that force non-smokers to smell and breathe it in. I am a firm believer in Adam Carolla's theory that second hand smoke is not bad for you, but I just don't want to smell it.

The e-cig users here are worse than the real cigarette smokers because they almost force you to smell it, and yes there is a smell to it.

I just love how the uniformed can make decisions based on absolutely nothing than a visual reference that a e-cig is EXACTLY like a real cig except that it's electronic. Geesh. Do some research people and by that, I don't mean wiki. Go here and spend your non BITOG time and read:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Andrewg couldn't have explained it better. You think big tobacco still doesn't have a multi-million dollar lobbying campaing in Washington to get a piece of the pie? Tobacco use is dropping by 3-4% per year as everyone becomes educated and understands how ecigs work and are now using them. Big tobacco and pharmaceuticals the force behind trying to get FDA to regulate the ecig juice industry because they are loosing millions. Their rationale: easy, tax the [censored] out of the juices and then the smoker will simply stay with tobacco.
A ban has been legally rejected, so we can expect an assault on any and every feature that makes ecigs an attractive or easily-purchased alternative to smoking. The areas we might see attempted restrictions in are: availability of flavors, availability of liquid refills, legality of web sales, and even perhaps an attempt to remove any design not on sale by late 2006. Whether or not the FDA will be able to enforce such restrictions is not clear at this time, but they will certainly look at these options because that is the pharmaceutical industry's best option: strangle e-cigarette sales by increasingly tough regulations. It's either that or see a 50% or even 60% cut in several of their important income streams due to smokers not becoming sick; a negative impact of tens of billions of dollars. To imagine pharma will stand by and let that happen is not realistic.
It should be pointed out that, essentially, some people have to die as a result of any/every activity, so it's just a question of looking at what the factors involved might be. One possible assessment of the risk of vaping is that it will turn out to be around 0.01 to 0.001% that of smoking. One professor of medicine described the likely lifetime risk of vaping as 0.3 on a scale where smoking is 100. For some individuals the risk will be much higher than this; for some, much lower. People are very different.

Don't know why you all got to be hatin'!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back