The Electronic Cigarette is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette So, I was curious and went in a tobacco shop to get the low down. I did, yes I took some puffs and no coughing as I inhaled and exhaled the smoke and yes it was flavored. I found out you can smoke these in a restaurant because this is a non tobacco cigarette ....at least that is what the store owner says................... so what do you all think if you are a user of such a product? I have no issue with it and there is no smoke smell, but you will get a room with the flavor the person is using.

As a non smoker, I find them just as annoying. I was in a restaurant where the person behind me was "smoking" one and was kicked out because although legal now, it was annoying other patrons besides myself.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
As a non smoker, I find them just as annoying.

+1 I dont want that vapor cloud wafting over my way.

Its kind of like bad breath... When multiple people are in a space, the air does go in one's lungs, out and into another person's lungs... and we really dont think much about it at all. But when someone has bad breath, YUCK!

Do you have to be a CW(certified weirdo) to use this product? These things are so weird.

I've seen people with these things at bars/restaurants etc. In Ohio all indoor smoking in public is illegal. When I would look over at them, they're already staring at me like I'm the one with the problem. I don't even like the smokers that go outside and then sit next to me. Because they still stink like smoke.

Last edited:
they appear to be getting more and more flavors like the coffee shops, its insane...............

There is no smoke in electronic cigarettes. It is a vapor caused by vaporizing propylene glycol, glycerin, flavoring(usually), and nicotine(usually, but not always). There is a good bit of research that shows the Electronic cigarettes are not nearly as harmful as regular cigarettes and help many give them up. They should not be used in non-smoking areas, not because of any harmful aspects of the vapor, but because it can cause others some annoyance or discomfort from the visual aspects, or, from ignorance of the product. At the very least the user should check with the establishment about its policy on e-cigarette use.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
As a non-smoker,they are just as nasty as regular cigarettes,period!

I am curious as to why you think that. Is it the visual aspects? Because, vaporized propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the vapor is used in hospitals for heart patients.

I understand that some flavours were developed to appeal to
"young" adults.

Great!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: TTK

I am curious as to why you think that. Is it the visual aspects? Because, vaporized propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the vapor is used in hospitals for heart patients.

When I sit in a non smoking area, I do not want to be forced to smell someones fake cigarette. If someone is trying to quit smoking that is awesome, start by not smoking in a restaurant.

Simple,they are unhealthy and the smell is nasty.
Quote:
The FDA says that analyses of at least 2 brands of e-cigs revealed detectible levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals, such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient in antifreeze, as well as small amounts of tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Do you have to be a CW(certified weirdo) to use this product? These things are so weird.

I've seen people with these things at bars/restaurants etc. In Ohio all indoor smoking in public is illegal. When I would look over at them, they're already staring at me like I'm the one with the problem. I don't even like the smokers that go outside and then sit next to me. Because they still stink like smoke.

So eat at home LOL

Originally Posted By: expat
I understand that some flavours were developed to appeal to
"young" adults.

Great!
33.gif

Yeah, but older adults and younger folks can both be appealed by the same flavors.. so its hard to point out that specifically they are doing this on purpose, even if they truly are...

As a former smoker, I just don't know which side to take on these..... But if you're trying to quit real cigs, do it like we did back in the day; grab a pouch of Red Man.

as a former smoker(who quit cold turkey about 8 years ago), i find what i miss the most is the Menthol. i swear i was more addicted to it than the nicotine.
in the last year, i've had the occasional moment of weakness, and I've tried 2 different brands of the Disposable e-cigs, Blu, and N-joy. of the 2 blu hands down. you can definitely tell where the 2 companies spent their r&d money..
the Blu "Magnificent Menthol" while not exactly what i got from my old Marlboro Milds, is...nice...to that part of my brain.they don't look 100% like a cig, all black, w/ a Blue LED light on the end that lights up when you inhale.

The N-Joy people apparently spent their r&d budget on the appearance of the thing. it looks like a regular cig. even the LED on the end is a red/orange, and they've even painted little white "ash lines" on/around it.
but as far as taste/sensation, 0 on a 1-10 scale. no feel of anything coming in, and the only flavor i caught was as an after taste.

yes, they do both contain nicotine, apparently to get the nicotine free Blu's, you have to actually by their kit, and you can get nicotine free cartridges(a freind of mine gets the Nicotine free Pina-Colada), but the Disposables only come in nicotine var.

A friend of mine puffs a Totally Wicked e-cig on occasion, sometimes at parties and such, where it does beat having to go outside, then come back in reeking of ash.

I've tried it a few times (not a smoker), and it's definitely a less harsh way to get a nicotine buzz (again, not a smoker, so it doesn't take me much). You can buy the fluid in different flavors and nicotine concentrations, and honestly the smell is barely detectable. From what I've read, these glycol e-cigs are akin to nebulizers in how they work.

That said, I think it would be rude to puff it in say, a restaurant, or someone's house w/out permission. Not illegal, but rude.

Simple,they are unhealthy and the smell is nasty.
Quote:
The FDA says that analyses of at least 2 brands of e-cigs revealed detectible levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals, such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient in antifreeze, as well as small amounts of tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

Did you look at the levels of the chemicals they claim to have found? They are less than what you get walking down the road from car exhaust and normal pollution. The FDA report has been debunked by several in the medical research field. And many have no odor what so ever.

Last edited:
I think an electronic cigarette is just as stupid an idea as a regular cigarette (or any other smoking device).

I don't understand the desire to stick something in your mouth and suck the chemicals out of it in the form of smoke or vapor. It doesn't make you look cool, it doesn't make you look intelligent; quite the opposite, it makes the user look brainless.

There are a host of other chemicals including nicotine vapor released from electronic cigarettes. While small amounts of those chemicals may indeed have some medicinal uses, long, extended use of those chemicals in vapor form have the potential of causing a great deal of harm. There was a time when regular cigarettes and tobacco use was actually considered healthy-we now know better. Who's to say that there aren't as many potential health issues with vapor cigarettes?

If I'm out in public, I simply don't want to have to smell anything you may be doing. If you choose to do it in the confines of your own home I don't care. But when you take it into a public place and I have to smell it (even though an electronic cigarette isn't as stinky as a regular one), I still don't want to smell either.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

If I'm out in public, I simply don't want to have to smell anything you may be doing. If you choose to do it in the confines of your own home I don't care. But when you take it into a public place and I have to smell it (even though an electronic cigarette isn't as stinky as a regular one), I still don't want to smell either.

alright folks, no consumption of Onions, Garlic, or Curry in pop's presence. and for gods sake don't skip a shower, Burp or pass gas.
wink.gif
( i Kid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back