What's wrong with this electronic typewriter and does anybody fix them?

Set your multimeter to AC volts and measure the voltage across the two red wires
With the switch on, there is 120V on the black and white wires going up to the transformer, but only like 30 mV coming out on the two red wires on the left. Bad transformer?

Without seeing the other wires coming out of the transformer, it is hard to say what color wires are associated with the secondary windings of the transformer.
No other wires. Just the two red ones.

You do what you gotta do....and if a typewriter is your thing have at it!

But you said...how else are you supposed to fill out forms and duplicates?

In the past I dunno....two decades maybe...have you seen a typewriter at a dealership, town hall, registry of motor vehicles, school, office building, etc? The answer is likely no because they largely don't exist anymore.

Everything can be done electronically these days on a computer and printed. I'd be willing to bet 99.999% of documents are done this way. Perhaps consider investing on a computer program that does this for you? In the long run it will probably be much cheaper and will have far less headaches.

back in the day they used to fuse the transformer internally. The resistance on the primary is defiantly to high. If your careful you can peel the paper back and maybe find a fuse.

Transformer replaced and typewriter working again.

IMG_4089.JPG

In the past I dunno....two decades maybe...have you seen a typewriter at a dealership, town hall, registry of motor vehicles, school, office building, etc? The answer is likely no because they largely don't exist anymore.
When my BIL bought a car the dealer had a daisy wheel printer on his computer. It was pre-programmed with the spacing for the state title form (and its carbon copies) and spit it out effortlessly. Maybe the first $400 doc fee paid for the setup and the rest was gravy!

Personally if I absolutely have to fix it, I would buy a used one off eBay with a different kind of problems and start swapping parts. Sometimes the problem is electronics sometimes it is not. Part swapping would likely be the lower risk best return on investment (time) way to go.

Back