When will the government ban cigarettes outright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to smoke packaged cigarettes, but have since given up. With prices of over $6.00 per pack, in addition to cigarettes now being "fire safe" (basically they add fire retardant chemicals to them) which makes them taste awful, I gave up.

Now I roll my own cigarettes. As of April 1st, the federal tax on 1 lb of bulk tobacco went from $1.00 per lb to $24.00 per lb. That's a 2000% tax increase on a legal product, overnight. This is in addition to the state I live in taxing bulk tobacco at the rate of 70% of retail price. Bollocks, I say.

My question is when does the Big Mac and Coca-Cola tax start? Consuming those products on a daily basis has been shown to have serious health effects, possibly even more than smoking. Non-smokers generally ignore this, but I say to you: it will soon be coming your way. Unfair taxation is unfair taxation, no matter what the tax is applied to.

I don't smoke and am all for no smoking restaurants and bars etc.

But I think the taxing thing is out of control. Just as I do the state controlling booze like they do in Washington state. When I was in California I could buy hard liquor for almost half of what it cost in Washington......

Maybe they need to legalize pot so they can have another product to pilpher more money........

I agree 100% on taxing fast food, if they are going to tax tobacco in such a way it's only fair.

I don't think we will have to wait long for the food tax. It will be a natural progression of the tax on smoking. We are banning smoking from almost any and all places and I believe there is even a law against smoking in the car in one state. The only difference is that smoking will affect others around you if in a confined place, but I have yet to hear of secondhand effects from food other than maybe the farts.

Think of it this way ...

If cigarettes were only invented today, there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY it could reach store shelves. It's a proven *ADDICTIVE* long-term poison. Softdrinks, fast food, and other kinds of unhealthy food shouldn't even be considered in the same category. If people give an uproar about lead in children's toys, unsafe cars, Vioxx, etc, then they should even be more outraged about the existence of cigarettes.

Fifty years from now, people would laugh at the 20th and early 21st century why in a world full of safety standards, a proven toxin was even sold openly. By then I predict they would be totally banned - and rightly so.

I smoke btw. And I regret starting the habit. (yeah, I'm a hyprocrite)

A while ago, some king in England started taking tobacco that was grown and consumed in your own country...

In India a while ago, someone of a similar bent started taxing salt that the people made for themselves...

Alcohol seems to cause more deaths of other people than tobbaco, but then the government banned it at one time .Where will all the special health funds come from if no one smokes.

It's funny, that the military used to issue tobacco as part of the rations...now they (some) give the boys speed, but not tobacco.

Edit, they'll never ban tobacco outright...makes them too much money in sin taxes

Last edited:
Ban is such a harsh word. Modern civilized governments don't ban things. They tax them into submission/extinction and subsidize alternatives. I guess that amounts to the same thing, though.

Edit: I've recently quit smoking (hopefully for good), but tobacco's recent tax hike makes me wonder what's next. It's kind of unsettling.

Hey Cuda;
They DO want to tax [censored] - My cows may be taxed $50 per head. I say fine - if you can collect from 'ole Betsey have at it!!!
Honestly, the "green geniuses" really do want to tax each cow. Think beef is expensive enough now?? (the censored word means "to poot loudly :))

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
I used to smoke packaged cigarettes, but have since given up. With prices of over $6.00 per pack, in addition to cigarettes now being "fire safe" (basically they add fire retardant chemicals to them) which makes them taste awful, I gave up.

Now I roll my own cigarettes. As of April 1st, the federal tax on 1 lb of bulk tobacco went from $1.00 per lb to $24.00 per lb. That's a 2000% tax increase on a legal product, overnight. This is in addition to the state I live in taxing bulk tobacco at the rate of 70% of retail price. Bollocks, I say.

My question is when does the Big Mac and Coca-Cola tax start? Consuming those products on a daily basis has been shown to have serious health effects, possibly even more than smoking. Non-smokers generally ignore this, but I say to you: it will soon be coming your way. Unfair taxation is unfair taxation, no matter what the tax is applied to.

I live outside the fattest city in America. San Antonio, Texas. Highest rate of diabetes in the nation. And yes I see these lard butts screaming on my TV telling the world the San Antonio Riverwalk needs to be smoke free for "their health". The epitome of hypocrisy and ignorance. Just this past Sunday on one of the morning local newscast this lady ,so fat she couldn't get up to the stage so they handed her the microphone down to the floor, raised heck about smokers and how 2nd hand smoke harmed her.

They will never outlaw cigarettes. They are one of the top tax revenue generating products the government has. One the one hand the government spends millions on Anti-Smoking campaigns and on the other hand they subsidize the tobacco farmers. This product is all about generating "addict" money to the U.S. treasury.

gov. will never ban cigarettes and tobacco products.
tobacco industry has too much clout in Congress
the taxes taken in by the states and Feds can't be replaced.

look for booze to be next on the SIN TAX hit parade.
50% tax on a $20 bottle of wine.
$8 glass of restaurant wine, $4 tax
easy cash cow to milk for taxes.

I found it such a (almost) criminal act when the writing was on the walls and all the states (individually) eliminated the potential for class action suits against tobacco companies.

It was protection money.

Originally Posted By: SamSpade
Think of it this way ...

If cigarettes were only invented today, there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY it could reach store shelves. It's a proven *ADDICTIVE* long-term poison. Softdrinks, fast food, and other kinds of unhealthy food shouldn't even be considered in the same category. If people give an uproar about lead in children's toys, unsafe cars, Vioxx, etc, then they should even be more outraged about the existence of cigarettes.

Fifty years from now, people would laugh at the 20th and early 21st century why in a world full of safety standards, a proven toxin was even sold openly. By then I predict they would be totally banned - and rightly so.

Very well said. This is the crux of the argument.

It's tempting to compare cigarettes to fast food and other conveniences, but those comparisons don't really hold up when you give them a moment's thought. I sympathize with people who are addicted or to whom smoking is a necessary pastime or means to fit in socially, but cigarettes are well within the purview of a responsible government to act against.

Smoking is causing a big burden on our health care system. The medical proof is out there that it is a toxin and deadly. Yet people continue to smoke. They are raising the taxes on it to get people to quit. if no quiting, they should take the money aside to help pay for for the free medicare and medicaid these people get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back