When is it time? Repairs every week....

In the past couple of months I have repaired on the 2009 Ford Flex with approx 115k in my signature:
1. Front right wheel bearing - it was getting really loud. 4 hours around $100 for the part
2. 1 Fuel injector - was getting misfire codes. Thought it was a coil, took hours to diagnose correctly. Full day $50 for part
3. 1 electric cooling fan, did a hack repair with a part that didn't fit exactly right - but it works well now. Full day $35 for parts
4. Now the AC is working intermittenly, thought it was a $15 sensor...it wasn't. Found the pulley for the AC compressor isn't turning after the engine heats up. Suspect it is a bad compressor clutch (I know very little about AC systems). Tried to pull off the clutch to inspect it, gave up after about an hour and took it to an indy repair shop.

I keep on telling myself these are all minor issues and to be expected on an older vehicle....but ole Flexy may have a date with my 12 gauge if it takes up my Memorial Day weekend.

That's a bummer. Cheap so far, yet time consuming.

I see that you have 4 vehicles. How much would it hurt to just take it to a shop for the a/c repair? I'm not sure if you have 4 drivers in the house and thus no spare vehicles.

Flexy is at the shop now for the AC repair. Wife is driving her dad's 2019 CRV for the next few days.

I am bracing myself for the call from the shop, I know they are going to say it needs a new compressor....but I dont think it does.

Flexy is at the shop now for the AC repair. Wife is driving her dad's 2019 CRV for the next few days.

I am bracing myself for the call from the shop, I know they are going to say it needs a new compressor....but I dont think it does.
Some vehicles won't engage the compressor if the pressure in the system is too low. Our Hyundai and Outback both did this when the systems were low on refrigerant, and both would only do it hot for some reason (which doesn't make sense because the system pressure is usually higher when the engine bay is hot). Hopefully it's that simple.

In the past couple of months I have repaired on the 2009 Ford Flex with approx 115k in my signature:
1. Front right wheel bearing - it was getting really loud. 4 hours around $100 for the part
2. 1 Fuel injector - was getting misfire codes. Thought it was a coil, took hours to diagnose correctly. Full day $50 for part
3. 1 electric cooling fan, did a hack repair with a part that didn't fit exactly right - but it works well now. Full day $35 for parts
4. Now the AC is working intermittenly, thought it was a $15 sensor...it wasn't. Found the pulley for the AC compressor isn't turning after the engine heats up. Suspect it is a bad compressor clutch (I know very little about AC systems). Tried to pull off the clutch to inspect it, gave up after about an hour and took it to an indy repair shop.

I keep on telling myself these are all minor issues and to be expected on an older vehicle....but ole Flexy may have a date with my 12 gauge if it takes up my Memorial Day weekend.
From the story listed, it seems you're doing the work yourself. If so, I'd say doth complain too much. Nobody who works on their own car adds up the time they take and count it as the cost of the repairs. All three repairs could have been around $500 each at a shop, so just thank yourself that you could DIY. If you're tired of repairs, just dump it and get a new(er) car still under warranty. And instead of shooting it, I'll come down and give ya $2000 for it.

Some vehicles won't engage the compressor if the pressure in the system is too low. Our Hyundai and Outback both did this when the systems were low on refrigerant, and both would only do it hot for some reason (which doesn't make sense because the system pressure is usually higher when the engine bay is hot). Hopefully it's that simple.
Would it lock up the pulley while the serp belt is turning at full speed?

That one could be tough- they might just throw parts at it. It does sound like it is getting to that stage-so it is a tough call. It might end up needing more repair- or she might be good for a while. Hopefully this could be the last repair to a while!

Would it lock up the pulley while the serp belt is turning at full speed?
Oh, no. Our vehicles wouldn't engage the compressors at all. I thought you were saying the clutch wasn't engaging. Is it staying engaged and the pulley just stops spinning?

A/C compressors aren't normally all that difficult to replace. If you manage to replace them before they are destroyed internally and throw debris into the system internally you can get away with replacing less stuff. I've used cheap generic NEW aftermarket compressors purchased off eBay and they work just found (one I bought were made in Korea).

Oh, no. Our vehicles wouldn't engage the compressors at all. I thought you were saying the clutch wasn't engaging. Is it staying engaged and the pulley just stops spinning?
yes, the car is running- AC is on and working fine....but once everything under the hood starts to heat up the pulley comes to a dead stop and the belt just keeps on going. When I saw it all I could say was - thats not good😂

Your compressor is locking up when it gets hot? Compressor stops and the belt is sipping on the pulley? If so your problem is not the clutch, it is the compressor. The sooner you replace it the lower the costs will be as if the compressor fails and send metal particles through the system then you need to do a complete disassembly and flush - in addition to the new compressor that you already need to replace. Your system might already have some particles in it, being caught by the receiver dryer most likely.

The car is sitting in the parking lot of a new to me indy shop, dropped it off yesterday. Hopefully they can diagnose it today......

2-part answer :

Pt 1 : When the lack of having the repair completed causes a safety issue or results in your inability to drive the vehicle to work.
Pt 2 : When you get tired of spending all of your free time working on the vehicle and/or the amount of time has a negative impact on other parts of your life.

Just wait for the water pump to go and then junk it. I am kidding, kind of... Huge job if the water pump goes.

If it is still comfy and clean Its paid for so basically all gravy. just find a local shop to take care of things and count up the money you're saving not having a car loan.

2-part answer :

Pt 1 : When the lack of having the repair completed causes a safety issue or results in your inability to drive the vehicle to work.
Pt 2 : When you get tired of spending all of your free time working on the vehicle and/or the amount of time has a negative impact on other parts of your life.
Wife won't drive it because I live in an area where it is above 90 degrees with 6 million % humidity June-Sept. And she is a delicate princess. Of course I wouldn't want to drive it either 😂

Back