When is it time? Repairs every week....

It can get tiring keep up with repairs on an older vehicle, but I'd suggest you only pull the plug when you're facing down a MAJOR repair, like a tranny or engine. It beats a car payment. And think of it this way (if you can) -- a new car you'll pay sales tax (could be over a grand easy), you'll pay $500 bucks to get it on the road, you'll pay higher insurance premiums (big time), you'll pay a much bigger yearly excise tax or registration fee. By the time you're done, it'll cost you thousands over the next few years...and after that guess what?? Your new car will be out of warranty and you'll be on the hook for any repairs that it needs - and believe me sometimes those repairs can be worse/more expensive than the ones you think you're leaving behind. If you like the car...if you aren't sick of it and want the latest and greatest...pay those yearly/monthly repair bills and be HAPPY about it. Because the alternative can be so costly that it's ridiculous.

Just wait for the water pump to go and then junk it. I am kidding, kind of... Huge job if the water pump goes.
True, it will take out the engine if missed. Very poor design on Ford's part to put the water pump INside the block on the sideways 3.5.

Barkleymut, we've got an '18 Flex that will be traded in before 85k. There's just too many things that go wrong with these over time. Just had the PTU and both front hub assemblies replaced, at only 46k miles. (Under warranty, sure, but at that rate somewhere around 90k miles it will be expen$ive!)

That said if you love it....for an older vehicle I keep track of a 24 month running repair history. When it averages over $130 a month, it's time for that vehicle to go. This allows for some large repairs here and there, and takes into account not only the cost involved, but the time involved. Your threshold will be different I'm sure.

It's hard to know when to pull the plug sometimes. I've had a couple of cars and one pickup that I kept too long and spent too much on repairs. Our two older cars have been reliable so far, but I won't have the patience I used to have when the nickel and dime stuff starts happening.

It's hard to know when to pull the plug sometimes. I've had a couple of cars and one pickup that I kept too long and spent too much on repairs. Our two older cars have been reliable so far, but I won't have the patience I used to have when the nickel and dime stuff starts happening.
I hear you. I tend to drive my vehicles into the ground. It is hard to tell when that "last big repair" is. I always figured even if repairs are expensive at least you know what you have when you are done instead of buying another vehicle with unknown problems.

Fix or repair daily?

Would it lock up the pulley while the serp belt is turning at full speed?

I replaced an A/C compressor on a Focus where the compressor had locked up. Could be your problem. Put in a junkyard compressor, vacuumed and refilled, think it's still working fine.

The only way I can think of things locking up (belt is forced to slip on the pulley) is if the compressor is bad...

I hear you. It’s time when it’s time.

We just got rid of the ‘12 Buick Enclave (202K) because it was becoming too much of a hassle. New battery, ignition relay, front shocks & struts, front brakes, fuel sensor, ignition coils, and intake manifold gasket in about 3-months. Did some of the work myself and had a local shop do the rest.

I just got tired of messing with it. Didn’t owe me anything with 200k+ miles though.

Last edited:
When a rod goes through the block or a hole rusts through a structural component, that's my motto. Basically anything that would be a massive cost or impossible to fix.

When is it time?​

Usually when you start asking that question.

Maybe you can nurse it along for a while until the market returns to something resembling normal.

Wife won't drive it because I live in an area where it is above 90 degrees with 6 million % humidity June-Sept. And she is a delicate princess. Of course I wouldn't want to drive it either 😂
My wife is the same way. Me on the other hand I’ll get to a point then say f it.

Indy shop just called with their diagnosis. Said the cooling fans are not pulling enough air through the condensor (totally possible and this was my first attempt to fix this a month ago, I took out 1 fan that was not working and put in a cheapo fan that didn't really fit, but I made it fit).

My question is, why is the compressor locking up? The mechanic guy said because the pressure is getting out of whack when the refrigerant doesn't get cooled down enough. He said that because the AC works when you first turn on the car and only stops working when the car heats up, the compressor is probably fine. Thoughts?

Indy shop just called with their diagnosis. Said the cooling fans are not pulling enough air through the condensor (totally possible and this was my first attempt to fix this a month ago, I took out 1 fan that was not working and put in a cheapo fan that didn't really fit, but I made it fit).

My question is, why is the compressor locking up? The mechanic guy said because the pressure is getting out of whack when the refrigerant doesn't get cooled down enough. He said that because the AC works when you first turn on the car and only stops working when the car heats up, the compressor is probably fine. Thoughts?

if the high side pressure is too high the ECM will inhibit AC function until pressures drop below desired levels. What they say is wrong is extremely plausible. Gauges will tell you definitively

quick easy way to tel is to spray water at the condenser and see if the clutch engages. The water lowers the pressures immediately

Everybody has different opinions on when to pull the plug. Personally if a vehicle gets me irritated it's game over. I do not put up with fixing a lot of little things or big problems. Now on my boat that is a different story. There is always something that needs maintenance or attention on the Lund boat, trailer and electric trolling motor.

I’m not an expert on AC but I understand that those symptoms may indicate the compressor needs a compressor clutch kit.

Last edited:
Thats what i thought, but i am trusting the indy mechanic. Ordered a fan kit with controller from A1 auto and had it shipped because they were the cheapest I could find at $200 including shipping. Put in yesterday and it appears to have fixed the problem. But i will not be convinced until we have a hot day everything still works.

Back