When do you install your winter tires?

Usually when there's a chance of snow in the 10 day forecast. I hate having winter tires on when the forecast has 50 degree temps ahead. Last year I put them on in December. Most people locally run studs and put them on Nov. 1 until April 1. I hate the sound of studs on clear dry pavement. Only buy studless.

I check the weather forecasts. If I see average temps of 7-10 degrees for the given week, I will make the switch.

It depends on where you live and your need to travel during an active storm.

Although I live in the middle of southern Vermont ski areas with lots of natural snowfall, I am retired and can always wait out a storm until everything is plowed out. So I don't even use snow tires any more, just decent performing all seasons.

The joke was always, we put our snow tires on August 15th, and take them off the following June 15th.

I have seen snow as early as late September, and a few years ago, we got 4 inches on Memorial Day weekend.

Back in my VT days I remember having the original Hakkapeliitta with full blown studs and yes early October (If I've spelled it correctly it's because I had 3 sets) and then the 10's (Eco Studs) on my Volvo(s). Ah, the good ol' days, you could find me at Killington every weekend, and anytime it snowed hard during school...

I was a ski patroller at Sugarbush for a while before moving west. I had a simple routine.

After closing day in Spring, I just parked the Audi and didn’t drive it again until opening day next season. This was simple and efficient.

They go on early and come off early.

I stick 'em on before the first potential black ice, because the roads haven't had a coating of salt yet. I went sideways in my RWD Volvo just driving to work, and hit some frozen dew. Still remember looking in this guy's living room with my headlights, LOL.

Then March comes around, it looks dry and nice, so I switch to all seasons. Then a Nor' Easter rolls in and I switch back, LOL.

My garage is kitted out nicely, but the job gets done under duress outside, by flashlight, with a jack, like a caveman, due to logistics of having a job and changing forecasts.

Try to wait till snow is in the forecast, our snowiest month is February but gravel driveways with ruts and stuff and county roads of family members you sometimes just gotta do it thanksgivingish or early December and just ride it out. Some sketchy roads with an inch of snow or slush out there or blowing across empty farm fields

My daughter is up in Poughkeepsie at Marist college not sure if I should put the winter tires( Michelin cross climate) on at Thanksgiving break she will be home or wait for her winter break middle of December. Any guidance would be appreciated
Put them on. She won't drive that much anyway and better to be prepared.

CrossClimate are not winter they are all-weather.

My daughter is a Sacred Heart in Fairfield CT. Hers will go on at Thanksgiving when she gets home (as well as oil change, aquapel, maybe a coat of wax or graphene spray) Snow brushes, windshield cover also to be added.

Rest of fleet will also be around Thanksgiving depending if snow is forecasted prior.

Put them on. She won't drive that much anyway and better to be prepared.

CrossClimate are not winter they are all-weather.

My daughter is a Sacred Heart in Fairfield CT. Hers will go on at Thanksgiving when she gets home (as well as oil change, aquapel, maybe a coat of wax or graphene spray) Snow brushes, windshield cover also to be added.

Rest of fleet will also be around Thanksgiving depending if snow is forecasted prior.
Yes I'm going to change the oil and put on the Cross climate. We only use them in the winter way to loud and a big hit on MPG with the Cross climate but I have the first generation of them. They are great in snow so should be great for the winter

I scrolled through this but I no one seems to have brought it up. Is the transition from summer rubber to dedicated snows or *all seasons* to dedicated snows...

I run summers/snows so once the weather forecast dictates it, is when the snows go on. Yes, it's hard to predict when you have a -average milder winter-, but regardless, it's hard to bring up summer compounds if you leave early in the morning and it's 35F, even though the average day temperature may be in the 50's.

I put them on when the 10-14 day extended forecast doesn't have lows above 35 and highs stay below 45 or so. My job requires watching the weather forecast, including long term, so keeping an eye on these isn't a big deal.

I also don't fret about the 1st snow. The 1st snow here usually is backed up by warmer weather. Similar to when I lived on the front range of Colorado. The 1st storm event made everyone jump, then it inevitably warmed up considerably afterwards. This year we had one day with snow that accumulated in some places... that was over two weeks ago and theres been zero need for them since... And 60's for highs most of this week.

Most years that means mid-November here, and they stay on till the end of march, sometimes mid-april.

I don't put the snow tires on until the weather man freaks out! "Snow is coming! We're all going to die!"

Actually, I don't usually put them on and avoid driving a few days until it melts. Too many people around here don't know how to drive in the snow. It's either one of two extremes. Panic, white knuckles and 10 mph max, or "Out of my way, I've got 4 wheel drive!"

I use 2 criteria:
1. If the day time highs are going to be 40* or less, or
2. If it's going to snow.

My Michelin PSS don't work well in temps below 40*F.

Tiguan got snows before Halloween. Atlas will get soon, probably next week. BMW when I start skiing. This season started dry. Mountains are 46% below average snowpack. However, this is beginning of the season, one storm could mean 200% above snow pack average.
I always have Tiguan on snows first so wife doesn’t worry and we have at least one car on them.

Mid-November, the winter tires go on the cars that have separate sets (I put each set on its own wheels so I can swap them around; winter tires go on steel wheels when they’re available).

They come off in April usually. Before then is when I evaluate whether the all season tires need replacing.

An ancillary question to when you put on winter tires is when you take them off. Here in Washington, we may only get a few snowy periods per year (if any) so I'll usually take the snow tires off mid-season if it looks like we're not going to any snow for a while.

Back