When do you install your winter tires?

For those in the colder States, it's that time of year again when you think about installing winter tires. Installing them too early and you experience unreasonable wear. Too late and you put yourself at certain risk when the first ice forms or snow falls. I am referring particularly to those with rear-wheel-drive cars, although still a valid question for all vehicles.

For what it is worth I look to temperatures remaining below 45F throughout the day, which usually correlates to nighttime temps around the freezing point or below. Question is particularly in my thoughts as I read more about the impact of El Ninio on the pending winter.

Usually before thanksgiving (Phila PA), but lately there have been entire seasons without snow so it’s more random. I hate to have them on when it’s warm and no snow. They’re not good in rain.

I remember back in the early 70's my mother's 68 Cutlass would get snow tires put on in late October. And they were studded, at that. That was back when snow was expected by Thanksgiving and not uncommon before Halloween. These days nobody around here uses dedicated snow tires.

I set my target below 47F high (glass transition temperature) to prevent wear. Easy to remember.

I used to do around Thanksgiving--unless if a snowstorm was predicted. Run into April, off sometime before May.

All seasons are better than they used to be, and with a garage now, it's a 15-20 minute job. Which can be done even if it's snowing. So I can wait until the very last minute, or past it--and usually the first snow (or three) are nothing to write home about. I think last year it wasn't until January that they went on... [the set I had last year were 6 years old and past prime, but I didn't feel like spending the money on a new set.]

This year, not sure, daughter's car might have them rotated on around Thanksgiving, while I might wait until actual snow. Still have not found CRV rims for snows, so only half the fleet might have snows this year (in my defense, they really do keep the roads clear, and my all seasons are on the newer side, and I have WFH & flextime, really only need 1 or 2 with snows).

Depends on the state. In Colorado and Vermont - before Halloween. Usually by the middle of October.

Denver got 3 feet (yeah, feet, not a typo) of snow on the 25th of October one year. Northern Vermont has already had snow.

Just put snow tires on the XC90 (in Boston) Yesterday.

Back in my VT days I remember having the original Hakkapeliitta with full blown studs and yes early October (If I've spelled it correctly it's because I had 3 sets) and then the 10's (Eco Studs) on my Volvo(s). Ah, the good ol' days, you could find me at Killington every weekend, and anytime it snowed hard during school...

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg

Usually before thanksgiving (Phila PA), but lately there have been entire seasons without snow so it’s more random. I hate to have them on when it’s warm and no snow. They’re not good in rain.
How many people near Philly use winter tires do you think? I live near Philly and don't know anyone that uses winter tires and I never notice them on cars in parking lots.

I basically don't drive in snow or ice but my in-laws' health is going down so I've been making a lot of trips up and down the NJ TNPK lately so I might get called to travel this winter.

How many people near Philly use winter tires do you think? I live near Philly and don't know anyone that uses winter tires and I never notice them on cars in parking lots.

I basically don't drive in snow or ice but my in-laws' health is going down so I've been making a lot of trips up and down the NJ TNPK lately so I might get called to travel this winter.
I must say not a lot…but I am seeing those all weather Cross Climate 2’s more and more. 2 of my cars are RWD with one having summer only tires, so both have 4 snows on rims…since I lift one wheel at a time I really don’t enjoy putting the snows on and taking them off…

My daughter is up in Poughkeepsie at Marist college not sure if I should put the winter tires( Michelin cross climate) on at Thanksgiving break she will be home or wait for her winter break middle of December. Any guidance would be appreciated

My daughter is up in Poughkeepsie at Marist college not sure if I should put the winter tires( Michelin cross climate) on at Thanksgiving break she will be home or wait for her winter break middle of December. Any guidance would be appreciated
You're lucky if they can predict the weather a week out. No way to know for sure at Thanksgiving or mid December. No harm doing it sooner than later.

I my wife's and kids winter tires on before Halloween. My F150 runs AT tires with the mountain snowflake symbol all year.

We had snow here before Halloween but it looks like it's going to melt next week.

Back in my VT days I remember having the original Hakkapeliitta with full blown studs and yes early October (If I've spelled it correctly it's because I had 3 sets) and then the 10's (Eco Studs) on my Volvo(s). Ah, the good ol' days, you could find me at Killington every weekend, and anytime it snowed hard during school...

View attachment 187868

View attachment 187869
Did you get that book from @Astro14?? Here, it's when the first reported major snow or ice storm is predicted-used to be Thanksgiving, now it's more like mid-December to New Year's Day.

I lived in Albany as well, but times have greatly changed. Seems either less, or more snow, less consistency.

Since Cross Climates are designed to be on all year round, imho it likely makes sense to install at Thanksgiving….

Always changed mine sooner rather than later. Figured I could buy new tires, cheaper than a crash into a ditch or pole.

Then I bought CC2's and leave them on year around.

Depends on the year based on the outside temperature. I keep an eye on the 10 day extended forecasts and when the highs are going to be consistently below 50f the winters get put on. I also keep an eye out on the low temps for frosty roads.

Back