When do you install your snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pesca
A studyMarketing Company said that below 7C (45F), snow tires are better than all seasons.

Fixed that.

While winter tires are much superior in wintry conditions to most all-seasons.. Just cold alone.. not really.

I schedule to do it on December 1st.......But we have only had one light snow so far. It is supposed to snow tomorrow, and I plan to pull it in the garage and do it then. Always easier to do mentally with snow on the ground......And easier physically when there isn't any!

For the S2000 I change summer to all season when low over night below 55F and possible winter storm (at the rate of 0.1" rain drop or more a day). Other cars just have all season all year.

How about furnace, when are you turn it on ? Mine usually doesn't run until end of December early January.

Did mine early this year 2nd week of November, usually I wait til 1st weekend of December. I replaced my old winters last Thursday with new ones. I typically wait til just before our mandatory law here.. which is dec 15-april 15. I keep em at about 32 psi cold and will drop them to 30 if conditions get really bad.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Pesca
A studyMarketing Company said that below 7C (45F), snow tires are better than all seasons.

Fixed that.

While winter tires are much superior in wintry conditions to most all-seasons.. Just cold alone.. not really.

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I tried to remember this "study", and remember it was a tire manufacturer who told journalists to inform us, strangely enough, at the same time on both side of the Atlantic
grin.gif

So yes, it is more marketing than anything else.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Did mine early this year 2nd week of November, usually I wait til 1st weekend of December. I replaced my old winters last Thursday with new ones. I typically wait til just before our mandatory law here.. which is dec 15-april 15. I keep em at about 32 psi cold and will drop them to 30 if conditions get really bad.

The end is not March 15 instead?

I remember removing the winter tires before April 1st two years ago... and played golf
laugh.gif

Considered "all-seasons", the Firehawk GT's on my Charger
and the Falken ZIEX on my RAM 1500 turned rock hard, squeeled around corners,
spun on wet pavement etc. when temperatures got in the 5°C range (45°F).

added: Quebec law is from the 15th of December to 15th of March

Last edited:
For the sedan, I throw the radial chains in the trunk around Labor Day.

Then I swap out the All Seasons for the Winter tire wheels when the forecast calls for frozen roads or snow the next day. I have them on a seperate set of wheels and do it myself, so how crowded tire shops are irrelevant to me.

The truck has Snowflake rated BFG T/A KO's All Terrain tires year-round.

Our snows go on first week of December and come off around 1st of April. That seems to work well here in Iowa.

I usually throw them on once it's consistently not getting much above freezing and there's a threat of snow. I'll keep the summers on as long as the weather stays good, until it starts getting down to the low 20s more than occasionally.

Usually around thanksgiving, or I might wait until a storm is predicted. I don't drive hard and so I've never notices "hard" rubber compounds. Maybe I'm oblivious when driving.

This year the cars keep their rt43's. With any luck IPikes go on the truck tomorrow.

I usually take them off in April. Perhaps late April. Last time I slid off a road was in a freak storm in... April.

It looks like we are in for another crazy winter in Southern Alberta Canada. We have had one week of snowy cold weather and now we are back to above freezing weather. I put my snows on just before the last snow and now I don't know...

Not until the weather channels forecast a major snow for the next day. I really don't like the squishy steering feel of the winter tires on dry roads. Until then I run on all-seasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I really don't like the squishy steering feel of the winter tires on dry roads.

FWIW, I'm running Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 in 205/55/17, and steering feel is still very good.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I really don't like the squishy steering feel of the winter tires on dry roads.

FWIW, I'm running Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 in 205/55/17, and steering feel is still very good.

The XIce2's that I ran up through last winter I thought had better steering feel than the the Blizzak WS50's I had before. Now this year, I bought a set of Blizzak WS70's on closeout, and in 60 aspect ratio instead of 55. I'm not expecting to enjoy driving them in the dry, but I expect great things in the snow.

I still haven't got mine on. But no snow here yet. Suppose to be in the 50Fs this weekend so I'll do it then. Otherwise around Thanksgiving usually here in central Illinois.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I usually get the yoko snow tires installed around the first or second week of November.

Me too, I don't find the snow tires really any different to drive on than my mediocre all seasons and I don't want to get caught in any real snow with those all seasons on, so I change early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back