Tire Selection for 22 WRX

Michelin PS4 are what I use for autocross on my GTI. You can get those tires in either an all season or a smoother summer version. I use the latter for the racing.

Since you don't have the car yet see if the dealer can put some all seasons on it for you. Then don't worry about new tires for a few years.

Reports are pile of . They mean nothing (or rather not much), they are opinions.
Look for test results. Even Consumer Test results are better than Tire Rack customer opinions.

Just IMHO.

Krzyś
Yeah I agree, I do not look at any of the reviews, but I do look at Tireracks own personal test metrics and this is what they are reporting regarding all 4 brands. And again for the record, I will not be getting another set of rims and winter tires because as I stated in my OP I drive my Ridgeline after Thanksgiving here in PA and usually stop driving it as much in March/April depending on when winter feels like it’s done, and I do run Michelin X ice snows on it as well.

Attachments

• 63518C69-DEF8-4EFF-BE01-3BC5DF6C38BE.jpeg
    63518C69-DEF8-4EFF-BE01-3BC5DF6C38BE.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 10
By the looks of what Tirerack reports, both the Vredestein and Michelin are tops for snow handling, with the DWS 06+ tops for dry handling. I guess what I am looking for is a UHP All Season that can handle light snow duty, but unlike the DWS 06+, has whatever magical compound they use for snow traction integrated into the whole tread depth, not just the upper section like the D-W-S has with its wear indicators. Not sure if such a tire exists, but I have yet to see any mention of compounds throughout the whole tire on the Bridgestone or Michelin.
You seem to not have a full understanding:
the DWS is for tread depth only and there arent different compounds on top and middle of tread....
you need tread depth for winter traction which is what they represent.
also the tread can harden so if you have 5 year old half worn tires they are certainly not like new ones by then.

Which is also why reviews that shave tires down then try to extrapolate performance when worn... is not real world results.

You seem to not have a full understanding:
the DWS is for tread depth only and there arent different compounds on top and middle of tread....
you need tread depth for winter traction which is what they represent.
also the tread can harden so if you have 5 year old half worn tires they are certainly not like new ones by then.

Which is also why reviews that shave tires down then try to extrapolate performance when worn... is not real world results.
I see that now, I was under the impression their compound was improved, hence the better winter grip. I will probably just look for a tire with either emerging sipes like the Bridgestone or figure out if there is a UHP A/S tire that has a higher silica compound, or whatever the manufacturer uses for winter grip incorporated into the tread

I see that now, I was under the impression their compound was improved, hence the better winter grip. I will probably just look for a tire with either emerging sipes like the Bridgestone or figure out if there is a UHP A/S tire that has a higher silica compound, or whatever the manufacturer uses for winter grip incorporated into the tread
you might want to just run those stock tires and get a set of winters or winter focused all seasons (Michelin CC2?) to run for mid-nov to april.

or you could buy the UHP All season that tire rack says is tied for the best winter traction... Michelin pilot 4 AS

you might want to just run those stock tires and get a set of winters or winter focused all seasons (Michelin CC2?) to run for mid-nov to april.

or you could buy the UHP All season that tire rack says is tied for the best winter traction... Michelin pilot 4 AS
I do plan to run the stock summers until October or so. Then I thought about getting an AS once the morning temps start to drop. I would love a set of CC2, have them on my wife’s Regal TourX but the price for them in my size (298$) makes me ill…

You still did not respond what you think about using DWS06+ on your WRX which you have experienced already.
Here is conundrum that you face.

If you want better winter traction than above mentioned Continental you need to go with lower performance all seasons or all weather tires. None of them have "high performance" in their design objectives. You may love them in the snow and hate them in all other conditions. Michelin or Vredestein will have similar level of performance, Michelin usually keeps their performance for longer.

If you want significantly better snow performance you need winter tires (performance - better match for WRX - or studless - worse match for WRX) and that means two set of wheels which you do not want to do as you have separate vehicle for this.

You need to decide what you want.

Krzyś

I do plan to run the stock summers until October or so. Then I thought about getting an AS once the morning temps start to drop. I would love a set of CC2, have them on my wife’s Regal TourX but the price for them in my size (298$) makes me ill…
I have my doubts if you really love them in the dry, on WRX.
How good are CC2 in the wet?

Krzyś

See what goes on sale in October, or perhaps a Labor Day sale, or, if you want to roll the dice, a Black Friday sale, if you can wait that long.

You still did not respond what you think about using DWS06+ on your WRX which you have experienced already.
Here is conundrum that you face.

If you want better winter traction than above mentioned Continental you need to go with lower performance all seasons or all weather tires. None of them have "high performance" in their design objectives. You may love them in the snow and hate them in all other conditions. Michelin or Vredestein will have similar level of performance, Michelin usually keeps their performance for longer.

If you want significantly better snow performance you need winter tires (performance - better match for WRX - or studless - worse match for WRX) and that means two set of wheels which you do not want to do as you have separate vehicle for this.

You need to decide what you want.

Krzyś
Definitely not against using the DWS 06 +, I loved everything about them except they seemed to lose that light snow traction fast. They are comfortable, quiet, handle well in wet and dry conditions. They are my go to unless someone had experience with the other tires I listed and could say for sure that they were as good in the snow as mine were when they were still relatively new. Since I have some time I will wait and see if more reviews of the Bridgestones come out. They have emerging sipes in their tread block and scored highest in ice traction ( I know it’s a UHP AS so that doesnt stand up against much) my only worry with them is road noise. Maybe after another 6 months or so there will be more of a consensus on their overall tread wear and noise.

..... I guess what I am looking for is a UHP All Season that can handle light snow duty, but unlike the DWS 06+, has whatever magical compound they use for snow traction integrated into the whole tread depth, not just the upper section like the D-W-S has with its wear indicators...
There is no "magical compound" for snow traction. Winter tires have a formulation that reduces rubber hardening at cold temperatures. Flexible rubber is better at trapping snow in the tread, and this trapped snow enhances snow traction.

Your Continentals didn't lose snow traction because a "special outer layer" was worn off, it was because you lost tread depth.

What We Found

A tire with a half-tread depth usually has 5/32 to 6/32 of an inch remaining. Tires are worn-out when they reach 2/32 of an inch, but you don’t need to go that low to see a substantial decline in performance on slick (wet, snowy, or icy) surfaces.
On average with the [shaved} half-tread tires, there was:
  • A 14 percent decline in snow traction (based on the measured distance that it takes a vehicle to get up to speed).
  • An 8 percent loss in hydroplaning resistance (based on the observed speed at which hydroplaning first occurred driving through standing water at our test track in Connecticut).
  • A 7 percent loss in wet braking (based on the stopping distance from 60 mph on a wet surface, measured at our test track).
  • A small loss in braking ability on ice (based on the stopping distance from 10 mph on the surface of a Connecticut ice rink).

There is no "magical compound" for snow traction. Winter tires have a formulation that reduces rubber hardening at cold temperatures. Flexible rubber is better at trapping snow in the tread, and this trapped snow enhances snow traction.

Your Continentals didn't lose snow traction because a "special outer layer" was worn off, it was because you lost tread depth.

Your first paragraph contradicts itself. Winter tires have a formulation that reduces rubber hardening at cold temperatures. That is the "magical compound" Even more magical is with Blizzak WS-series tires with the microcell tube compound on the first half of the tread depth..... as back in the day, the main difference between a WS60 and LM60 is the microcell tube compound on the WS-60 on the first half of the tread blocks.

But tread depth is correct affecting traction, which in the case of Blizzak WS series, the special microcell tube compound is good to around the legal limit for tread depth for certain states and countries.

Keep summers, get wheels on Craigslist and get a second set of snows.

Keep the summers and buy a separate set of performance winters?

OP said he has the Honda Ridgeline with Xice Snow for winter duty.

Yes, I know it's TL;DR.

Ok So,

Taking delivery of my first "New" car ever. Unfortunately for some unknown reason Subaru went with the Dunlop whatever summer tires. Id like to switch them over to an UHP all season, I would probably wait until October to mount them after buying them either on Memorial or Labor day sale.
My choices are, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season , Vredestein Hypertrack All Season,Bridgestone Potenza RE980 +, or the Continental DWS 06 +.

I would like to have a tire that can handle light duty snow, I normally drive my current car about April-Thanksgiving, and then I drive my Honda Ridgeline in the winter with Xice Snows on it. I travel about 20 mins to work and can telework if the weather is bad. But recently (last April and November) we received a few surprise storms that left 2-3 inches on the road. Id like to have a tire that can safely get me home but doesn't have to be a dedicated winter or even all weather tire.

My current car is a 2006 Honda Civic Si, no traction control but a good limited slip diff in the front. I am running the DWS 06+ on it, and the first snowfall I had it in was the surprise 3" midday April snowfall. While my experience with driving it in the snow is limited, it did handle the 3" slush snow well. This past November when we got 3-4" and the DWS06+ were a bit more worn (the S was still visible but worn) things were not great. The even at 10mph the car did not like to turn or stop at what I consider a safe margin. Other than that so far they are extremely quiet, ride well, and handle the wet well.

What I am looking for is a tire that may give up a little dry traction for some mild snow traction. I would not want to give up wet traction or deal with any intrusive tread noise (BFG G-Force Comp) worst tires I've ever owned noise wise. It seems as though the Michelin is the most rounded of the bunch, but some people complain about tread noise. The Vredestein I am fully unsure about, these seem to be tireracks baby, and they don't seem to test high in any one category yet they seem to build them up to be just as good as the competitors. The Bridgestone's I don't know much about, other than watching a Topher video on YouTube where he is driving an NSX on a snow track with these tires mounted.

If anyone has driven or rode in a car with the DWS 06 plus and has experience with any of the other tires listed I would appreciate some input as I am totally stuck right now on what I should buy.

There is no special winter compound in DWS/06. S just shows the tread depth that is reasonable for winter usage. As OP found it is not reasonable, he started losing traction even with S still visible ;-)

Krzyś

Definitely not against using the DWS 06 +, I loved everything about them except they seemed to lose that light snow traction fast. They are comfortable, quiet, handle well in wet and dry conditions. They are my go to unless someone had experience with the other tires I listed and could say for sure that they were as good in the snow as mine were when they were still relatively new. Since I have some time I will wait and see if more reviews of the Bridgestones come out. They have emerging sipes in their tread block and scored highest in ice traction ( I know it’s a UHP AS so that doesnt stand up against much) my only worry with them is road noise. Maybe after another 6 months or so there will be more of a consensus on their overall tread wear and noise.

If snow is that important of a consideration, then UHP is not for you. The DWS is said to be the best in snow for that category.

If you can only use one set of tires year-round, you should use a 3-peak.

I love all season UHPs. I’ve had several that are discussed here.

first, if you want to push the car, while I own 2 sets of Michelin CC2s, what they gain in wet handling, they lose in lateral grip. It’s a soft-letting go, they give you warning, which can be good if you can figure out how to drift it. But if I’m truly driving aggressively, that’s not the one.

I had the potenza RE980… got about 15k out of them. They are fairly quiet and seem to do everything well. Just…. good, soft rubber, not unlike the old Yokohama AVS DB, which I hated to see discontinued. My son and I both had the potenza tires and I can firmly suggest them as a solid buy.

prior the the Bridgestones, I had the previous generation of the DWS06. This tire has a cult following. They were a little too soft in my Lexus, and “sang” on the freeway, though overall they were near silent. while it shouldnt matter, they had rounder sidewalls which looked better to my eye than the Bridgestones. In the end, I gave the DWS06 back to discount tire because they turned my Lexus into a dental chair every minute above 55 mph.

the Michelin pilot AS/4 is the gold standard in this category - you probably can’t go wrong there, but for some reason that seems too easy.

Your first paragraph contradicts itself. Winter tires have a formulation that reduces rubber hardening at cold temperatures. That is the "magical compound"
No contradiction. No magic is involved. Just chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

OTOH if the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season had snow and ice traction equivalent to that of the studded Michelin X-Ice North 4, that would be almost magical.

Back